Sunday, April 15, 2007

Unfortunate IHOP Experience

Warning: This ended up being longer than intended but I had to include all information to give you the whole experience.

Last night after a very pleasant time at the Temple, we invited a few friends, as it was stake temple night, to come with us to IHOP to have a late dinner. I was pretty hungry, so I was really excited for that late night IHOP flavor. We arrived and were seated not long after. Our young looking, flustered waitress came by and explained to us in her slightly winded voice that she was sorry for taking so long to come to us and how there are only four servers tonight, yadda, yadda, yadda. I don't think there is ever room for excuses. And besides, as customers, we don't need to know any of that. Her explanation took so long that we all started to look at each other and laugh under our breath. I can't even remember half of what she said. It was something to the effect of how all the servers were talking about how they didn't want to serve the big party (our table) because it was too busy, and then she went on to say that it's their choice if they don't want the big tip from the big party and so on. She also said among everything else that she was new. It was getting annoying since I was really getting really hungry. We had looked at the menu long enough to order, but I think all she could handle right then was the drinks. Most of us wanted water, one with no ice, and one OJ. Pretty easy, but she seemed to have to repeat it three times to all of us before she left the table. It took a while but we got our drinks, and then it was time to order. Every time someone ordered, she had to ask them to point to it on the menu to make sure she knew what it was. I was last so I tried to make mine very clear. I told her what I wanted, and the style of eggs and everything. She acted like she didn't even hear a word I said. I mean come one, I had just said it, and very slowly to make sure she had it down. So who knows how long we waited, but we started getting our food, one plate at a time, over about a half an hour or more. Luckily we were all having a good time and laughing at the whole experience or else we would not have left in good spirits. But it goes on. I got my classic skillet meal with country fried steak, gravy and eggs, over easy. (Did I say I was really hungry.) I was a little cold, but I think that was as good as it was going to get. I cut a piece of the steak, and dipped it into the gravy (that had developed a skin on top, might I add) and took a bite. Something wasn't right, and I thought it was the gravy. It was kind of vinegary, and a little sour. I tried it again and it was definitely not the sausage gravy I'd had before. I tried it alone, and it was most definitely chicken cesar salad dressing. Everyone tried it and agreed with me. I had it replaced, but was grossed out by that fact that I had a big bit of it. Good thing I didn't poor it all over the steak. We were so nice to her the whole time telling he that it will get easier, she just need to take it easy even though she was never once apologetic. Another girl got the wrong order completely, and we didn't get water refills until about the end of the meal. A couple that was with us decided to go talk to a manager. They are two of the nicest people I know so we knew they wouldn't be jerks about it, but just explain what happened. They brought back our check with a 20 percent discount. We also filled out a comment card and had a good laugh. When we were done she told us to have a good night, and next time we come to ask for Katie. We already had the check, but she didn't know that, and brought it to us about 10 minutes after she said good bye. From the minute she came to our table, to the minute she left, she made many mistakes. I know I'm only talking about IHOP here, but I feel that no matter where you are, you should expect a good experience. There is no excuse for not knowing how to do the job you are trained to do. We don't go there often, but I think I'd just rather make our own grand slam than go through all that again. This wasn't our first disappointment of this place either. Maybe we just need a new location.

5 comments:

Jonny said...

Emily! We ate at an IHOP near your place in Cheverly the night you and KC went out on your birthday. Though, not nearly the experience you had, it was disgusting, dirty, and slow. As a past waiter (none greater) at a Denny's, we would have not charged you for the meal at all. Well, better luck next time, IHOP is yummy.

Cami said...

Wow, that was some story. Usually IHOP is a step up from that sort of junk! Sheesh! Go to Bob Evans next time. We had a new waitress there, but they had someone helping her the whole time. And sorry about the ceasar salad dressing! I used that instead of tartar sauce on my fish once and never really figured it out, just thought it was gross tartar sauce. I was really sad when I finally found the tartar sauce and my fish was gone . . .

erika said...

It was IHOP--what do you expect?? I have never had good service/food there!

Matt said...

I have noticed lately that most people in retail...or people that interface with customers regularly really don't care about the customers experience. They don't even seen to care about what they're doing, or where they are. I don't get it. Why would you hire people who acted like that? I think the idea of "customer service" or "keeping the customer satisfied" is a thing of the past. Businesses are no longer there to serve us.

Sarah said...

That stinks. I think it can totally ruin your whole eating experience if you don't have good service. Although, I was a waitress once and do know that it can truly be stressful - a lot harder than most people think. although... it isn't that hard to get the food out on time and the orders correct. Plus, only four waiters - that's nothing. I have done two!