Sunday, September 16, 2007

Small catering gig

A friend here in Cheverly asked if I do any catering. Her husband has been in Iraq for six months and she wanted to have a dessert party to celebrate his homecoming. She told me what she wanted and it sounded like something I could handle. I made up a menu of many desserts and their prices. Her choices included: Chocolate raspberry truffle cake, Chocolate dipped macaroons, raspberry almond shortbread bars, a fruit platter with Lemon curd dip, caramel cheesecake with an almond crust and cooked sugar decor, Coconut bundt cake with roasted pineapple, and a mango frangipane tart. I was able to do a lot of things ahead of time so I wasn't going crazy the day of the party. It was quite an adventure being as it was just me against these seven desserts, but with KC's help doing dishes and transporting the food, we pulled it off. They told us to stay and meet their friends. I knew a few people that were coming, but I didn't really want to stand around telling people I was the one who brought the food, so we just dropped off the food and left. Then, not wanting to deal with the sink and counters covered in chocolate and dishes, we headed for Mexican food and picked up some friends on the way to go with us. It was nice to not have to cook dinner after all that. It was fun to catch up on a few techniques I haven't used in a while. I have missed having chocolate under my fingernails. But I am happy to have my fridge and freezer back. I took a lot of pictures of the process since it really was my first solo gig and I probably won't say yes to a lot of things like this. It may seem like there are a lot of repeats, but I like a lot of different angles. Bon appetit!

8 comments:

Cluff Family said...

Oh! It gets me so excited just looking at those masterpieces. I wish I was ther to just observe and help, so I could learn how to make those awesome desserts! You did a great job, very professional looking!

melody said...

Gorgeous! I'm glad it all went well. I bet everyone loved the desserts.

Woods said...

You are amazing! I need you to come stay with me and teach me all of your tricks. Everything you made looks fabulous and hard to make. It makes my mouth water just looking at them.

Anonymous said...

Emily,

Wow! We had dinner at Janice & Clyde's tonight and Janice was showing me all of her favorite cooking blogs. Your desserts look incredible! I am very impressed. I love reading recipes so I imagine I'll be returning to your blog often. I hope that things are going well for you and K.C.!

Love,

Alicia Schick (K.C.'s cousin)

Hannah said...

Holy Cow, Emily! You are so talented!! I have a goal in life to earn enough money to hire you to cater for me someday...

Janice Graham said...

Oh mY! It turned out perfect. I know you worked really hard. All that schooling paid off, except that you didn't charge enough. Love you!

Sarah said...

So cool! Look so yummy. I wish was was there to enjoy. You are a master Em!

Unknown said...

I'm impressed. Your food always looks too good to eat. Obviously, they got their money's worth and then some.