Thursday, January 15, 2009

"I suddenly have a headache of phenomenal dimension."

If I have to have a sinus infection (the achy skin and joints, dry mouth and lips, sore throat, can't- get-up-without-a-pounding-headache kind) then at least I have Cranford, my large bottle of lemon water, and antibiotics (thankfully my doctor was able to get me in this morning, and have the meds on hand so I didn't have to wait at the pharmacy) to keep me company. I hate that I had to slack on my church and babysitting responsibilities, among other things, but I wouldn't want to expose anyone to these agonizing symptoms. I can't wait to breath out of my nose again.

In case you were wondering the title is a line from Cranford itself. Though, the tragedy that happened following that line in the movie, will hopefully not be my fate. If it didn't hurt to do so, I'd be having quite a chuckle at this show. It's always so funny to observe what was inappropriate, frivolous, or extravagant back then. I know that the reason we girls love period pieces such as this is so that we can live vicariously through these women as they get dressed into their amazing gowns, and dance those charming choreographed dances with those beyond handsome men. But seriously, their pastimes of knitting, impressing people, and most of all, gossiping, might get old after a couple days. And beside, I can have ice cream whenever I want, whereas they have to wait for a fancy garden party to have any. Of course, there is something nice about being so thankful for something as simple as an orange, or precious lace, but I am happy with the "extravagances" I am able to enjoy by not living in that time period. Yes, our society is far more inappropriate now, as opposed to then. That is something I wish hadn't changed.

Anyway, like a said, it had provided me with hours of mindless, light-hearted entertainment as I recover from this nasty illness. I couldn't have timed our Netflix queue better.

6 comments:

Matt said...

Sorry you're sick. The flus with the head issues are the worst. In case you need something new to try...I've been using Advil Cold and Sinus, and it's fantastic. Hope you feel better soon.

Lili and Jeff said...

Boo on your sickness. Get better soon. I second that Advil cold and sinus. It truly helps. Also, didn't we used to have a horny toad named Cranford? Or was it Crandall?

Cami said...

I need to get Cranford right away. Jake is always saying, "Cami, there's your Cranford movie" as though it's my favorite, even though I haven't seen it.

I hope your sinuses get better. I'm pretty sure my poopsie has got it too, but she's already on antibiotics, so what's a girl to do?

melody said...

I like that quote, but I am sorry it is about you this week! Can't wait to watch the show, though. Hope you feel better soon. And I hope our house of sickness clears up before you come. That's our game plan.

Drew said...

Nothing like good netflix queue timing. I hope you feel better soon. I miss you!!!

Savannah and Braden said...

Your blog is darling! You guys look wonderfully happy! It's fun to check in on everyone every few months, everyone is so grown up and happy! I love it.