Wednesday, December 05, 2012

God bless us, Everyone. (Especially all the tired mommies out there!)

Heading out to Ford’s Theater to see A Christmas Carol last night, I was feeling pretty Scrooge-like. It had been a particularly trying day with the kids. While keeping them up from their nap is nice when it comes to putting them down for an early bedtime so we can leave on our date with peace on mind, I’m always so exhausted from the lack of rest (and added stress from tired kids) to even want to go anywhere when it comes time to leave. A little counterproductive. It was even more upsetting to me since I had been looking forward to this outing for a while, and felt like it was kind of tainted by my crankiness, and that frustrated me even more. We left the kids all yelling for something from their beds (usually we leave when all is settled and quiet, but we were going to be late), and didn't see how I was supposed to just go out and enjoy myself! Elise was a dear, and said not to worry about a thing, and that did put my mind at ease a little, but it was just hard to shake off the frustration I was feeling before we left when it had been building all day.

Then as we drove into the city in the wonderful weather, and sat down in our great seats in the beautiful, historical theater, my heart started to soften a little. As the play went on, it’s like the three ghosts were speaking to me as I thought about what I have to be thankful for and how I wanted to make things better tomorrow. I felt like I had a tiny bit of a change of heart just like Ebenezer. I’m so glad we went. It was such a great, festive show, and the fact that I was nodding off for the last 10 minutes doesn’t mean anything except that I was extremely tired. An evening well spent.049036042044

So, I’m starting off fresh today, just as Scrooge did on Christmas morning. Let’s just hope I remember this feeling of resolve come 5:00 this evening (though, today I’m determined for all of us to get a good afternoon nap. Fingers crossed.)

P.S. Now I’m totally in the mood to go see Lincoln! Is it worth skipping a nap?!

1 comment:

Drew said...

How fun! I'm going to re-read that this year. And then watch the Muppets' version. :D