Wednesday, March 13, 2013

MOMS and STORM

Apparently when you have multiples, you get to join some groups with clever acronyms. MOMS is Mother of Multiples Society, and STORM, is Super Twins of the Rocky Mountains (incase you are unaware, super twins is the terms for multiples greater than twins). I was always interested in joining a multiples group, but for so long it felt overwhelming trying to make time for any meetings, and after that, I already had enough to do with my sister and friends for my social needs, so I didn’t worry about it. But when I moved to a place where I didn’t know hardly any people, I thought that a group like this would be a good place to start as I start to look for schooling, etc. Also, even though I had a great group of friends before, it’s good to spend time with people you can relate to in a different way. Our conversations are slightly different as we compare our situations, and share advice. It’s a fun group, and you definitely have an automatic bond. The first time I walked into a meeting, it was funny that I knew something about every one of them before we even spoke.

I was the only person with Triplets in the group, besides Krista who was 15 week along with hers. While I can relate a little to those with twins, triplets are still so different. People with twins still look at you like you are running a circus when they think of adding one more to their work load. One nice lady from the online forum informed me about STORM, and I thought getting together with that group would also be a fun experience. So I paid the modest due, and am now a member. We have official meeting every couple of months for MOMS, and every month for STORM, but a group of girls from MOMS get together unofficially about every week. We met at IKEA a couple of weeks ago. Definitely up our ally! All their twins were younger than the triplets, so I decided to go ahead and put the kids in Smaland so I could chat more with the ladies. One of the girls had an older son, so we were both in line to get out kids in. But there were only two spots left! The boys weren’t too interested anyway (they were more excited about the escalator), so Ruby and her new friend went in, and then I kind of fit in with all the twin moms with my identical boys! It’s amazing how much easier it was to only have two to keep track of. We were quite the parade, as we walked though the IKEA maze with our huge strollers. They were all so fun to talk to, and the boys had a blast running around the family-friendly store. One lady jokingly asked if there was a twin convention going on. Ha. 048050052053

Eventually we picked up Ruby and she and the boys all embraced as if they hadn’t seen each other for days! We picked up our free lunch, and they ate in the fun little kid theater they have set up in the restaurant. It was fun to not be the only one that was getting stares for once!054055056057

There was an eye-opening moment when I looked around at all the twins in high chairs and car seats, their moms busily cutting up food, feeding two bottles at once, and picking forks up off the floor over and over. My kids were sitting quietly on chairs eating away as I just sat there and watched! When did this happen?! I mean, we still have craziness more often than not when I take them places (we lost Alex for 5 minutes at Church for crying out loud!), but I really feel like I’ve entered a new phase of parenthood, and it’s fun. I did miss my babies as I looked around at all the cute little kids, but I just love my toddlers so much, so I’m happy with where I am. 058059061

I missed their last meet-up at the Mall, but I’m looking forward to more in the future. It’s fun to have a group of friends as desperate to get out as I am, no matter how risky it is! My first STORM meeting is next week. I’m excited to see what kind of discussion comes up in that group ladies.

2 comments:

Corinne said...

SO fun! I am looking forward to the days when I am ready to do outings like that :) Our schedule is still so erratic that I haven't made it to ONE mom/kids activity, but I figure we've got lots of time for that :)

I know what you mean about the bittersweetness of their independent eating at Ikea :)

Cami said...

That sounds so great! Just this morning I saw a retreat for moms of autistic children, and I thought that would actually be GREAT, but kind of scary! So I think you are so brave and awesome for just jumping in to stuff like that. Looks fun.