Saturday, October 07, 2006

Pastry Chef or Photographer?


Well, I am currently working as a photographer for newborn babies at a hospital in the area. I am sort of conflicted as to what my occupation is. I am a trained pastry chef and enjoy making desserts for any occasion. My favorite project was definitely my twin sisters wedding cake. It was a huge accomlishment for me and she probably doesn't know that I was terrified about it. It sounded easy at first but I had to pack four frozen layers of cake with packing peanuts in a cardboard box from Maryland to Utah. My duffle bag was full of ganache and buttercream Anyway, it made it's way to the wedding through a lot of second guessing and reassuring (all in my head if course. I had come from my job in DC at an upscale hotel telling everyone it was no problem.) I am so glad I did it.

So I worked in the bakeries and such for a couple of years and it was fun. Telling people you work in a bakery strikes up a lot of converstion. I know it's a hard business and I liked the hard work while I had nothing to do except work. When I met my husband I realized that I actually wanted to spend the weekends and holidays with him. I actually didn't mind giving up those things at the time because I knew it wouldn't last forever, but throw in a bad boss and simple, hardley any professional knowledge required, tasks and it really gets old. I had looked and looked for another pastry job, but nothing stuck out. At that point I just wanted a job, some way to be productive with my time. So I quit and almost immediately found this photographer job.

I like being a photographer. I work for Growing Family First Foto, www.growingfamily.com. The hours are great, I have time to blog (actually the blog is a result of my spare time) and I just like baking what I want, when I want to. I get an urge to work for an upscale restaurant again because of all the things I know I still would love to learn. And then I remember the commute, hours, and the constant repeating of "Yes Chef!" Yep, it's just like Hell's Kitchen on TV.

So I think I like where I am right now. But I just don't know what to call myself. Anytime someone asks, I tell them I am a pastry chef on a break. Is that allowed? Am I still a Pastry Chef? I have the knowlege and the certificate. I think this is just a phase.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are a pastry chef. Your desserts are the fabest. I made that word up. We always want you to come to OUR parties!!

Emily said...

And by photographer, I mean needing/having no skill on the subject. I was such a silly girl back then. Ugh.