Saturday, September 24, 2011

You like the hot chips?

With the men in our house having things to do on Friday night (for KC, it was catching up on sleep, since he pulled an all-nighter at work on Thursday night), or really the women of the house needing a change of scene, Elise and I took the opportunity to give into our Mexican food craving at The Alamo, and hit the movies.
We love going to The Alamo on Friday nights because they have authentic live music played by a pair of charming  guys. It makes the experience all the better. This time the duo had a third maraca man, who could also sing beautifully.039 We ordered one of our favorite (big enough to share and each have leftovers to take home) meal. Of course they brought us chips in the meantime. I’m sort of a chips and salsa-aholic. I can’t stop myself. So I was a little glad when the chips were a little cold and stale-ish, so I wouldn’t over do it. But knowing it’s not like The Alamo to serve something subpar, and knowing the potential those chips had, I asked the friendly waiter (who I’m ashamed to say, probably remembers me by now) if we could replace our bowl with a more fresh batch. It’s really not like me to cause a fuss, but I just love chips and salsa so so much, something just came over me. He said, “You like the hot chips?” to which I responded with an enthusiastic “Yes!”, and that was the best decision I made all week. I’ve never had chips so hot and melt-in-you-mouthy as those. Heaven. That was a great start to a great night. Then our food came. I was lost in it. I told Elise, that every time I have good Mexican food, I just want to live in that extremely happy place as long as possible. This was one of those moments. We enjoyed every bite we could handle, and left feeling like that was exactly what we needed after a seemingly long week. Does this all make me sound pathetic? I don’t care. 042
We saw a 9:30 showing of The Help (Look at us, living it up!), which made me so happy I live in this day and age, so glad there were some enthusiastic ladies in the audience to comment on the funniest things (I think we were the only white people in the theater), and so happy to have my own sweet babies to cuddle in the morning. Oh, and I was glad I bought some Everlasting Gobstoppers before the show. I was really pulling out all the stop last night. 
We made it home around 12:30. It was fun. I love a girls night, especially with my sister here to do them with. I just wanted to remember this great night, and many others like it. I mean, we love spending the day with all the kids, laughing to tears as they entertain us, but sometimes, after they go to bed, we need a different kind of entertainment that doesn’t involve board books, wipes, and animal sounds, ya know?

1 comment:

melody said...

Hot chips all the way! That girls night sounds awesome. Glad you had a blast, can't wait until our next one with all the sisters together!