Wednesday, September 14, 2011

It Hurts

Why do kids have to grow up so fast? Do they know how much it hurts their mommies’ hearts (sorry mom!)? I suppose they don’t have any choice in the matter, so I’ll try to look on the bright side and thoroughly enjoy the new sweet things my kids do and say as they get older. My darlings turned two years old on Monday, and I felt overwhelmed with love and gratitude every time their little faces smiled up at me, or when they reached up to ask me to hold them, or when they planted a big kiss right on my lips. Mmmm, I couldn’t live without those babies (yes, they are still babies, because I said so). This past year wasn’t as challenging as the first, but it wasn’t without its many challenges either. I have so much to learn about parenting. My role as a mother has changed significantly from simply (Ha! As if it was simple.) helping them survive by feeding, bathing, changing, and holding them, to now having to teach them right from wrong, and how to communicate, among many other very valuable things. I have a feeling we’re all going to be learning a lot of new things together as they years go on, because I really feel inadequate to take on such a task as raising children. But I’ll do my best, and pray that it’s good enough.

Because we had a bit of a bash for their birthday last year, I wanted to keep it pretty low key this year, as they still aren’t very particular about what they expect out of their birthday. It started with them waking up happily a little after 7:00. We let them immediately open some presents, which made them very happy little two year olds (and made me a very happy mommy as they played quietly for a long time). IMG_2026IMG_2032IMG_2035IMG_2039IMG_2043IMG_2041IMG_2040IMG_2042IMG_2044

In my family, we always got to choose any kind of cereal we wanted for our birthday breakfast (by the way Mom and Dad, that is genius. It might be the easiest and cheapest way to make a kid feel like they are getting special treatment first thing in the morning.) The kids didn’t pick these out, but we happened to have them on hand (thank you Target sale) and they seemed like the kinds I picked out as a kid. The babies were in heaven as they gobbled up their own bowls of Trix. Don’t worry, they had Wheaties the next day. IMG_2047IMG_2050

I hadn’t seen any friends in so long, that I just invited some people over to play, to make the day a little different and fun. It also gave me an excuse to make some festive treats for the occasion. Which were (see if you can guess the theme):

Mini Coconut CupcakesIMG_2073

Mini Lemon, and Chocolate Glazed DoughnutsIMG_2078

Mini Pumpkin Apple Streusel MuffinsIMG_2064

Mini browniesIMG_2059

Mini Vanilla Bean CheesecakeIMG_2066

Mini loaves of Wheat Bread with Havarti CheesesIMG_2082

Yeah, I just couldn’t resist doing a mini dessert party with all the resources I had. I can’t forget to mention the mini ice cream cones, and mini popsicles that aren’t pictured. I think this is a theme I will have to play with again for gatherings in the future. Although it was way too easy to eat too many mini desserts.

So friends arrived around 10, and the fun began. I think we had about 25 in the end. The kids thought it was great having all these new faces to show off for. And so many little friends to play with. I was also happy to play with my friends. We don’t get together often enough. We talked, ate, played, broke up fights over toys, consoled crying children, laughed at funny children, and had some good old fashioned fun. I put my kids down for a nap around noon, and didn’t hear a peep out them them until after three. Thank you babies! They must’ve known they’d get to stay up later and party if they had an extra long nap.DSC_0385DSC_0395IMG_2096IMG_2097IMG_2094IMG_2090

Friends filtered out and we had the afternoon to play with their new toys, and watch their new movie, Beauty and the Beast. KC brought home a Pizza later on, which the kids loved (as did I, enjoying a break from the kitchen) with their ranch dressing “dipit”. They ate a few of the previously mentioned treats earlier, but I saved their cupcakes for dinner. They were so excited when the flames were lit, and we gave them a little help blowing them out. They nibbled on cupcakes, and each got an ice cream cone, and then it was off to bed with them.IMG_2101IMG_2118

IMG_2112IMG_2110IMG_2125IMG_2133

I have a feeling the years are only going to start going by faster as they grow up. I guess I better prepare myself now for the heartache that will cause. But I’m sure I’ll be distracted by how much fun they are as they get older. I’m looking forward to so much we’ll do together in the future, but I also love how much fun we have together everyday. I guess, in the end, it’s a win, win. Happy Birthday, my babies. Is it okay if I call you that just a little bit longer?

Now, excuse me while I post a million more pictures.

AIMG_1994IMG_1988

BIMG_1941IMG_1944

RIMG_1930IMG_1933

IMG_1953IMG_1954IMG_1957

IMG_2008IMG_2009IMG_2010

In case you are wondering (cause I would be if I knew what kind of group picture posers these kids are), we used alphabet flash cards to make them sit still and look at the camera. Worked like a charm!IMG_2012IMG_2015

10 comments:

melody said...

You got some completely darling shots! And Ruby's headband is on! The (gourmet) mini dessert theme looks so fun and perfect for their birthday party. I would be a lot more sad to have missed out if we hadn't very recently party with you all. Still, I miss them and seeing their silly faces in the pictures is so so fun. Can't wait to show these to Julia and Gabe.

Sian said...

Aw when did they get so big?! I know exactly how you feel. My 3 year old started preschool. First time I've left him with anyone other than family or friends. It really hurt my heart but he's loving it. Plus my 1 year old turns 2 tomorrow! It's a good thing, I know this...

Drew said...

Great post and pictures! I'm so glad I've seen those poopsies so recently or I would be dying of missing them right now (well, more than I am anyway). I still wish I had had a chance to get a picture of me with all three, but maybe next time!

And Golden Grahams is definitely a stellar choice. I probably still would choose it, and actually have in recent months.

Unknown said...

Sweet post. I know the feeling mom n I had the same ideas as you lids grew up and left.

Woods said...

I can't believe they're 2! What?? They are absolutely adorable! You are such an amazing mom! I love you

Michelle and Cisco said...

Wow! Alex and Bennett have the greatest smiles in these pictures! They are such handsome little cuties. I miss them already. And thank you for such a good picture of all 3 of them! I needed a new background on my computer. It is currently still a picture of them in their burrito blankets.

Amber said...

How cute was that post? It is a shock and amazement that you still have enough energy after chasing those darlings to make all those awesome looking mini treats! It certainly does go by too fast, I mean Jordan is almost out of here...I can't even stand the thought. I'm glad you are enjoying it each day! Love you big babies!

Cami said...

I think Alex is saying "Teoooooouuu" in that last one. (Q) Flashcards! Of course! That's the best. They are dolls. Now they costs moneys on the planes.

Melissa said...

They are just cute as can be. I think they are babies until they're three. Once they use the potty, it's sort of over. Keep having fun. I have a hard time with the growing up too. This year has been the worst with Nicky in full time school. It's an adjustment. For six hours of the day, she doesn't need me anymore. Oh well.

Janice said...

Oh how I love these photos. I wish I could have been there to taste the mini desserts - every thing looked delicious. I need some of those photo files printed for my frames and more.
Thanks for sharing the fun.