Friday, February 10, 2012

I have got to stop eating like this.

I have been gravitating to the the kitchen more than usual lately. I think  my subconscious just leads me there, knowing it will help with the long winter days. Not to mention I’m on a clothes shopping fast with my mom. If you know me, you know how I love hunting for a good find. (But, I gotta say, it’s been over a month, and honestly, I love the freedom of not even caring about stepping in my section or trying anything on, or agonizing over buying/returning an item. I like getting creative with what I already have. I might be converted to this lifestyle! More money and time! Though, I’m sure when the fast in over in May, I’ll be ready to refresh my wardrobe for the new season.) So, I think I’ve needed this cooking outlet lately. I like finding the happy moments during the day to play, when the kids are awake, so it doesn’t cut into my rest time when they are napping or down for the night. It really makes the time fly by! Here are some results of my latest kitchen escapades.

Even though we girls weren’t as interested in the Super Bowl as the guys, we still had to plan a menu for the occasion:

I saw this Pizza bread when reading the recipe for that lovely Bloomin’ Onion Bread a while ago. I knew it was for me. My changes were using a delicious whole grain bread, and an olive oil/fresh garlic/fresh basil/fresh rosemary drizzle instead of butter, something I knew I wanted to add before even reading the recipe (although, I’m sure the original is delightful as well). Oh, and I like to slice my own pepperoni so they’re nice and thick. When dipped in marinara, or homemade ranch, with a mandatory (for me) pepperoncini on the side, this was so very good.  046

I think we’ve finally made it through KC’s imaginary birthday party food. These skewers were marinating for the big day, but got popped in the freezer for later when the party was canceled. Mmmm, they were good. 066

I’ve been dying to make doughnuts lately. Particularity these ones. (I think old-fashioned doughnuts and apple fritters are in a tie when it comes to my fave.) Ever since I saw this recipe, I couldn’t stop thinking about it. So I made them, replacing the nutmeg with vanilla and a half a vanilla bean for fun. They were dense and delicious. But thank goodness I have the babies around to eat them so I don’t. I‘m looking forward to making them again and tweaking the recipe a little to make them even better. And Who can resist making things heart-shaped around V-day?079089094097

The Ribeiras contributed this amazing artichoke olive dip,076

Mozzarella balls complete with homemade dipping sauce,075

Buffalo chicken balls with blue cheese dressing,067

s’more cookies, 107

and Butter Beer, or Butter-Bruskies to keep in the spirit of the Super Bowl theme. Whoa.101

There were a few more less exciting things thrown in, and we didn’t neglect adding some fresh veggies to the mix. We were in pain. Elise and I took a walk outside while the guys watched the game in an effort to feel a little better after eating too much. How were were supposed to stop with all of this food staring at us?  I think I just was a little to excited to have an excuse to make a lot of things that had been on my mind.

Now onto non-Super Bowl related treats:

In school, we focused a lot on European breads. Brioche was one of the first we learned. When this was baking, the smells took me right back to class. This flakey, buttery bread literally melts in your mouth. I wish I had some right now. 129_thumb133_thumb

I reserved some of the dough for this other delicious recipe I learned from someone when working at the Hyatt, and have been craving it ever since. First you press the dough into a pan, sprinkle on some brown sugar, drizzle on some cream, and in this case, I added a drizzle of my homemade spiced nectarine jam, and let it rise and bake. I call it Nectarines and Cream Brioche Cake. Heaven in a cake pan. I am a total sucker for breakfast pastries. 144_thumb

I forgot I had more pictures of the pretzel bark I mentioned before. In case you want to make it, because you really should, this is all you do. Melt some chocolate, and press some pretzels into it, IMG_4582_thumb

make some simple caramel, and toast some coconut, IMG_4586_thumb

then mix them together, and spread it on the cool, hard chocolate. IMG_4590_thumb

When that is cooled, drizzle with more chocolate, let it set, and try not to eat more than you should. I didn’t follow that rule.IMG_4744

On a healthier note, I made and LOVED this Cottage Cheese Strawberry Banana Ice cream. The kids loved it too. I added a strawberry yogurt I had in the freezer as well, which I think upped the creaminess. It’s rare that something like this isn’t green from me blending spinach into it (I know I'm not the only one that tries to add vegetables whenever possible.) It was kind of refreshing. Love a guilt-free treat. I think this will be a regular at our house. I’m already thinking of other combos to try.IMG_4944

This, however, was not so guilt-free. The idea came to me when I had some leftover key lime batter after making Key Lime pie. I used it as an opportunity to think up something new. So I made my favorite coconut cake recipe, swirled the key lime into the batter in the pan, and baked it up. What came out was quite possibly one of my favorite things ever. A creamy, coconuty, limey, dense, moist, delicious cake. Topped with fresh whipped cream, it truly won my heart. I‘d take tropical over chocolate any day. And it just dawned on me that I really put the lime in the coconut! Ha! Hokey, I know. But you might want to put in on your to-do list soon.024027026

And with all the egg whites left from the Key Lime pie, I thought some meringue cookies were in order. I used Andes Mint chips inside, and then put a half an Andes mint on top while they were still warm and then spread it a little when it melted. Delicious.004

I fit in a few other little recipes here and there. A lot of the time it’s not just desserts, but new ideas to get the kids to try new things, and it has definitely helped. I love making things for them to try, and try not to act too annoyed if they don’t love it after the work I put into it. Good thing I like to cook whether they like the food or not. Someday I know they’ll appreciate it.

I like to record things like this, so I remember that I actually did have time for me during this wonderfully chaotic time in my life. Although it makes a lot more dishes, and could be adding a  few pounds to the scale, I think it’s worth it.

8 comments:

Jules said...

:o

Yep, that pretty much sums up my reaction to every single thing in this post.

Janice Graham said...

Okay. That's it. Beacuase . . . we will be making the pizza bread tonight. Dad says. But ALL those things look fantabulously delish.

Cluff Family said...

I would love the Brioche recipe!

Janice said...

I'm gaining weight just reading about all this yumminess. Most of us feel proud to get one decent meal on the table, and we don't have three toddlers underfoot. Pretty amazing.

Drew said...

Um, would you please stop making these kinds of foods unless we're in the same vicinity? I just kept being more and more amazed as I scrolled down. It's like it would almost be worth sitting through the Superbowl just to be able to eat them!

Melissa said...

You have to tell me how you stay so skinny and cute with all those delicious dishes around. YUMMY.

melody said...

Can't wait to try some of these things! I think we NEED to start eating like that around here...

melody said...

P.S. To refer to our phone conversation today, Jonny said the lime drink sounded weird because I said we needed coconut cream. Once I corrected that to cream of coconut, he was all for it. He is currently enjoying it!