Friday, February 03, 2012

While Mom was here. . .

Here is a quick round-up of the fun.

Playing Outside

We have had the most gorgeous weather lately. Sometimes in the high 60s!045

Mom wasn’t feeling too well that day.051

We love a fenced in park.057067068097105

Hanging in the back yard.IMG_4894IMG_4899IMG_4914

Arts and Crafts

We played with play dough, and after a couple reminders, they didn’t eat it! We might be getting somewhere. IMG_4769

But we did let them eat the paint, because it’s made with sweetened condensed milk. It’s probably just confusing them letting them eat some art supplies, and not others, but oh well. They had so much fun.IMG_4809IMG_4784IMG_4791IMG_4793IMG_4795IMG_4802

So much fun that we did it again, only this time Ruby used her body as a canvas. IMG_4883IMG_4885

So naturally we had to throw them all in the tub together. Sorry if this embarrasses you later, kids. 021

I guess I needed an outlet or something, because I decided to do a little project. I was planning on us all doing it together, but time go away from us so I just did it myself while mom watched the kids.  I wanted to make gingerbread houses (with my new Wilton cutters!) during Christmas, but it never happened. I decided to keep the dream alive, and just make some adjustments for Valentine’s Day, making it shortbread, and, of course, decorating accordingly. It was fun to play around. I was in a hurry toward then end, as you’ll see my poor royal icing piping on the front (it needed a re-whip). Oh well, it looks like snow, right?IMG_4877IMG_4886IMG_4932IMG_4928

IMG_4923

Reading

Bennett enjoying some Charles Dickens.IMG_4831

They LOVE the book that Cami made of the family.035

And we have thoroughly enjoyed all the great books Nana brought to read.IMG_4948

Scrumptious Food

I’ve been wanting to make this for a while, and after reading Julie’s review, I couldn’t wait any longer. Definitely going to make this one again.IMG_4826

Some chocolate, pretzel, coconut, caramel bark-type stuff I concocted (we just call it a candy bar). It’s deadly.IMG_4746

Coconut Limeade. So good and so simple. I even had everything we needed for this. (Yes, I keep a supply of Coco Lopez around. Sometimes a girl just needs a pina colada.)I actually used fresh lime juice instead of the concentrate and it was tart and delicious.IMG_4747

I made a version of these sandwiches for KC’s birthday (substituting turkey for ham, and croissants for rolls). Turns out if you assemble these sandwiches the night before a party, and plan to bake them right before the guests arrive, but the party never happens, you can just freeze them, and bake them whenever you want. They turned our amazingly well after being frozen. good to know. IMG_4857

We also all enjoyed a night out together and a great, authentic Mexican place in Annapolis that Elise and Jeff stumbled upon. It was so great to get out after the slightly hectic week.

Piling on Mom

The kids couldn’t get enough of Mom’s attention. There were always piles of babies wherever she was. 055IMG_4761IMG_4919IMG_4756

And this is what sweet Alex did when mom told him she was going home. As heavy as that kid is, he is really fun to cuddle.IMG_4937

Elise and I even squeezed in a haircut outing together, which was lovely. The Amish market was also a highlight. And mom and I enjoyed some excellent British entertainment, including Doc Martin, Lark Rise to Candleford, and Downton Abbey. So, we had our ups and downs, but always enjoy a visit from mom. Come back soon! We’ll do our best to be healthy when you do!

6 comments:

Jules said...

Augh, that bread! It's so delicious! Looks like you guys had lots of fun and lots of tasty treats.

Michelle said...

Love it! So sorry about all the sickness, but glad to hear about the fun you had with your mom. By the way, the heart "cobblestones" on your valentine house look like wonka heart breakers, are they? If so, where did you find them? They happen to be one of my favorite candies, but were apparently discontinued. But I saw them last february at target and bought several bags. I am on my last one, and didn't see any at target yet!

Michelle said...

Oh yea, and I saw your sister melody in the byu magazine! Have you seen it?

SassyMama said...

Sounds like you had lots of fun. I want to try out the edible paint, my kids would die for that! Oh, and thanks for the recipe ideas, especially that bread... my arteries won't thank you, but I will!!!:)

Janice said...

It's so great to see their happy smiles. I'm missing them so much. Ruby's hair is getting so long! What a great idea for a valentine house!

ina240 said...

Super. Pretty pictures. :)

In Poland (Europa) is -30 Degrees Celsius (is a large cold). It is very cold.
And you so nicely, I'm glad.
Greetings from Polish, the instantaneous state of frost.

Ewa