Friday, April 20, 2012

New York+Sisters+Mom

As I mentioned before, we headed up to New York for a grand girls trip! It was a exciting as we had anticipated. There is never a dull moment when the Graham girls unite!

Mom was already in Maryland, so she, Elise, and I said goodbye to the awesome husbands taking care of the cute kids, and hopped on a bus to make the 4 hour journey. It was  a great ride. We played games, took mug shots galore, and laughed to tears. The time flew by. Amber, Cami, and Melody caught a flight very early that morning out of SLC and were going to meet us in New York shortly after we arrived. All went as planned and we were in the city around 2, took a short walk to our hotel, and their cab dropped them off around 4. Our Hotel room was tight, but lovely, and just a quick block from Times Square, which is where we headed after everyone settled in. DSC_0265016DSC_0286DSC_0306We stopped to get pizza as we walked, among other tasty treats (mmm, those spiced coconuts…). We did some shopping, had fun pointing out famous landmarks, and just enjoyed all being together for the first time in over 2 years ago. Eventually we decided to see a movie, which we had to take like seven escalators to get to theater 19 to see. That’s the big city for you. After that we stopped at the beautiful Bryant Park to enjoy the evening. We moseyed back to the hotel (eating more pizza on the way), had a IPod Farkle tournament, made late night sandwiches with delicious freshly baked bread from a cute delicatessen, talk and talked and talked, and finally went to sleep. DSC_0317aDSC_0327DSC_0352DSC_0343DSC_0362DSC_0358

With a big day ahead of us, we all got ready and packed up, dropped our luggage off at the front desk to be stored for the day, and headed out again. We stopped at a street cart for some pastries, and headed to the infamous New York Subway. Our first stop was the Staten Island Ferry. It was a beautiful day, and being on the water made it even better. The views were fantastic, and we just loved this leisure activity. We then went to ground Zero, and took all of that in. Well, what we could without taking any tours or anything. So sad, and so crazy. DSC_0416DSC_0420DSC_0426DSC_0433DSC_0453

While in Bloomingdales, I spotted Magnolia Bakery! I was thrilled to just stumble upon it. It was on my list after all. This place is a big name in the baking industry, and I was dying to see what all the hype was about. We tried a few things, and they were all delicious. Though, I think the hype is a little high for the product. Once you’ve worked in the business, things like this kind of lose their magic.  But I was so glad we stopped to try out these famous treats. Who doesn’t love a cupcake in the middle of the day while walking the streets of New York?!DSC_0476DSC_0483

Our next stop was Dylan’s Candy Bar. It’s such a fun place where you really feel like you are in a dream candy world. We all couldn’t resist the umbrellas for our kids, as well as a few more treats.  DSC_0488DSC_0495

And then it was off to what we were looking forward to the most, Central Park. With the blossoms out, and the sun shining, it was truly a beautiful place to spend a good part of our afternoon. We ate some street dogs, and found some grass to snooze on. Amber and Cami rented bikes for an hour, and said it was the highlight of their trip! Mom took a turn as well. Melody, Elise and I just had a wonderful rest. Did I mention that Melody is about 8 months pregnant? She had amazing stamina and you wouldn’t even know if she was tired in the least. Though, I’m sure she was with baby Evelyn very close to joining us. I was so glad to see Melody during  a little bit of the pregnancy. It would be weird if she had the baby without me even getting a real peak at that perfect belly of hers. DSC_0506065DSC_0516DSC_0526DSC_0532

We walked through the park and stopped at a beautiful fountain (which I remember so well from one of my all time favorite movies One Fine day), and took way too many random pictures. I think we were pretty punchy at this point.DSC_0541DSC_0554DSC_0544

We had one final destination, Serendipity, but when we got there, found the wait too long for our schedule. Bummer. At least we saw the famous little place. 066

We caught the subway back to our hotel, grabbing some incredible Gyros on the way. Holy moly, those were good. We picked up our luggage, and went to our bus stop. We had enough time to grab some frozen yogurt while we waited, and caught our 6:45 bus to DC without a hitch.069

The ride seemed longer that the one before, but it was still fun to be with everyone. KC picked us up, and we were home  around midnight.

It was a quick, rather low-key trip, and there were a lot of things we had on our list if we’d had more time, but we were very pleased with what we actually accomplished, and all agreed that it was such a great time. DSC_0373

Here are a a lot more pictures from the trip, mostly taken by Lili and her awesome skills. Thanks!

I’ve been to New York every few years since I’ve lived here, and always in the spring. I don’t know what it’s like other times of the year, but it’s always so beautiful when I go. Beside the places that it looks gross and dirty with hoards of tourists, that is. It’s great to have such easy access to this amazing place.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I know I don't comment very often, but I love reading your blog. I just am so jealous of you, I would love to do this with my mom and sisters! I love love love the pictures, especially the one where you're all walking, where you're all under umbrellas, and the jumping shot is amazing!!

Janice said...

This looked so fun. Some of those photos are calendar worthy.

melody said...

Fun times! I am still so glad I went, after rethinking my decision to go for 5 weeks after we bought plane tickets. Wouldn't have wanted to miss that trip just because my tummy gets in the way sometimes! So good to be together. Here's hoping it's not too long until we all meet up again.