Sunday, January 06, 2013

A new year.

Man, the years go by fast when you’re an adult. It’s hard not to be sad when the holidays are over, but I’ve learned in the recent year how quickly they come right back before you know it. So I try to enjoy what the entire year has to offer in an effort to make time slow down a little bit. I can at least try can’t I? I still can’t believe my kids are in primary now!

We had a great finale to all the festivities. It started on the Saturday before New Year’s when we ran into the Calls at IKEA. (I was so glad I hadn’t seen anyone I know, because the kids were acting like crazies, but it was the Calls, so it was okay). We made some last minute plans at their house, and it was all set. It also snowed that day! Not much, but enough to make things  little exciting. This kids loved playing in it for a while, but it was really wet snow, and they all started complaining about it. Next time we will dress them accordingly.205207022601590595

We gave the kids a late nap that day in preparation for letting them stay up a little later than usual. Of course, their nap was ridiculously short, but a nap all the same. I was in the mood to do some baking, so I made three kids of cookies. As if anyone is even remotely interested in baked goods after Christmas, but whatever. We headed out around 6:30 with kids in pjs, sat in dumb traffic, and finally made it to the party. It was great to be with some good friends and just let the kids play. It’s still new to me that I don’t have to be constatly putting out baby fires everywhere we go. The triplets are constantly asking to play with friends, so staying up late, with a basement full of friends and toys was more than they could ever ask for. It’s so cute to see them form little bonds with other kids. I loved seeing Ruby and KK hugging and sharing new Christmas toys. We ate delicious food, and enjoyed just being in the comfort of the Call’s home. Bennett when ahead and made himself comfortable and lost his past a few minutes after arrival.

064066078

216218221223229

Christina planned a mock-midnight celebration for the kids around 8:00, complete with a balloon drop!! We counted down, and the kids erupted with giddiness as the balloons fell from the ceiling. Ruby kept saying,” This is SO FUN!” And it was. 233237239240

We played a little longer, tried unsuccessfully to keep the kids  (and ourselves) away from the sugary treats, and left around 9:30. It was so fun to include the kids in the festivities this year.081

The Ribieras had other plans earlier that evening, but later, had talked to the Howells, and they ended up coming over for a couple late night games. We didn’t have any plans for the rest of the night, so we just thought we’d chat for a few minutes, and then turn in early. Well, it turned out that we wanted to stay and play BANG! and chat for another couple of hours. I guess having kids for a few years has trained my body to stay up past when it wants to. I can’t remember the last time I actually stayed up until midnight on New Year’s Eve. We laughed a lot as we took ridiculous mug shots (no one will ever see the worst of them), and just goofed around. We toasted the new year with non-alcoholic drinks, that we all were sure had some amount of alcohol in it from the way it tasted. But no.612614616

We eventually made it back up to bed after a fun evening. But not before we set out the Shoes for the New Year’s Baby to fill! We chose the shoes the kids each asks to wear the most.

The kids woke up too early for our liking, as usual. Ruby well before the boys, as usual. And she got bored and went in their room to wake them up, as usual. But once they were all up, they got to see their little shoe prizes (we keep it really simple around here), and were so excited. Those giant Smarties were like a dream come true for them. I love this tradition, and I’m glad I am passing it on to my kiddos.083091092098106097110113

New Year’s Day was pretty bland. KC had plans to see The Hobbit with some guys that morning, so the kiddies and I did our thing, and then all took a lovely nap. I did sneak in some Twilight Zone on Netflix. We used to have that marathon playing all day at home on New Year’s. I guess I was feeling nostalgic. We finished the day with delicious pizza, and the taking down of the tree. Love the feeling of a clean open space after the holidays. Although, our space is looking pretty sad as we pack more boxes every day. But it’s happy too, because it means exciting changes for our family.

622

Here’s to an adventurous new year!

No comments: