Monday, February 11, 2013

The Big Move: The Flight

So, we left our cute little home in Cheverly, and made our way to the airport, half of us in Elise’s car, and half of us (“us” includes our abundance of luggage) in my friend Juan’s car. He was so awesome to offer to help us get to the airport. We had quite the load!

102

And, of course when we got there, the tears started flowing. I was holding it together pretty well until I saw Elise crying, then that was it. She joked that it’s a good thing this glare was there to hide our puffy eyes. DSC_1153DSC_1156DSC_1161I’m still in love with this amazing stroller. 105

Even if they won’t stay in it the whole time. The escalator and elevator were highlights of the trip for the kids! They were talking about it for days leading up to the flight.108109

We arrived at the perfect time. We weren’t rushed, but we didn’t have to wait forever either.

112115Bennett watching the cartoons at the gate.116

Then we boarded, and all sat by a buddy.121122She did this pose all on her own.124

The flight took off without a hitch, and the kids were intrigued the whole time. I broke out the backpacks when they started to seem antsy. Those things were like gold. Each time they pulled out something new, it was like Christmas morning. So much happiness and excitement. They loved zipping, and unzipping them, and actually played with something for quite a while before seeing what else there was to explore. They really are growing up. It’s so nice when all my hard work actually pays off! Which isn’t very often, so I have to burn those times in my memory.145146149Those $ Store puzzles were awesome. 150151160She was SOOO excited about her ring stamps.154155Their picture stickers, and Minnie/Mickey figurines were also the source of much excitement. 131

Of course they loved when they served us drinks. Alex was especially well mannered, making sure his drink and crackers were only placed in his napkin. 169175Mommy enjoyed a couple Coke Zeros as well.171

She has been begging me for a watch. This was a happy girl. Goggles are also a favorite toy. 172

It was almost weird how calm things were. I felt like I was sitting still the whole time! I can’t even say that about the first 20 minutes of church! They just loved every part of it, and kept their seatbelts on most of the time (in fact, Ruby made SURE I was wearing mine). Everyone used the potty one after the other. It was just so great.119120121122123124

We eventually pulled out the DVD’s and iPads, for the last bit, and the kids did a little seat trading to keep things interesting, but the time really flew by. I can’t express what angels they were. I was one proud, relieved, very happy mom. 131139

When the plane stopped, they quickly made their way into the aisle all in a row. 145

Waiting for the train to go to the baggage claim. Grandma Robinson has been in the Denver airport a LOT, so it was nice that she could always point us in the right direction.148

Have I mentioned how nice BOTH grandmas were to help me with the flight?! We are so lucky to have them!150156

Our bags were coming around has we arrived! When does that happen?157

Daddy, and his aunt Jean were there to pick us up!! It was so nice to see KC again, and know that the apartment was all ready for us to go right in. Aunt Jean was so awesome to help with the caravan. 160

The kids were obviously exhausted, and got a good little power nap on the way to the apartment. Of course we made a stop at Target before we even made it home.  162163165

KC' had their beds all set up (my original plan, as I made him load them in the van for the drive. I knew the truck might not get there in time, and I was right!) Yes, they’re still in cribs, and I love it. Soon, they’ll have big beds, but I’m enjoying every day they are still stuck in these!167171

After a short tour of our little place, we freshened up, and went to KC’s cousin Alicia’s house for dinner. She has three young boys, and my kids were so excited to see friends and TOYS! They were so nice to share with my wild kiddos, and warm dinner was absolutely delicious. Especially after all the excitement of the day. 175

We headed home and put the tired kids down. They were so happy to be sleeping in their own beds after being in pack n plays for a week.

So we made the cross-country trip with bigger smiles on our faces than when we left. That hasn’t always been the case when flying with kids, so we are grateful. It was hard to wrap my head around the fact that we were only flying one way! It was so weird to look around and realize this was our new home. I went to bed so excited to see was this new area had to offer.

Next up: The first days in CO, visitors and unpacking!

2 comments:

Janice said...

It was an amazing calm flight.. 3.5 hours. Except for the escalator. I'm a grab the handrail person usually. We were all brave. So glad you got some photos of the event.

Tracie Frost said...

So happy for you! What a fun time to be starting over and all the wonderful adventures that are ahead! Miss your presence here on the East Coast, but I will get out there one day to visit!

Oh, and I am making your chocolate cake today for our tea party on Friday :)