Wednesday, February 06, 2013

The Big Move: Saying Goodbye

Here we are in beautiful Colorado! Life is still on the crazy side of things, but we’re adjusting, however slow it may seem. We are using a lot of chapstick and lotion (no big difference for me and my moisturizing obsession, but the poor little ones are so chapped!) as we adjust the the new climate, but the weather has been perfect.  Great for getting the kids outside. After about a half mile of my first run, and I could really feel the difference in the elevation. (That’s going to make training for the half marathon a lot of fun.) And, you know, the living in a two-bedroom apartment is definitely tricky at times, but we are kind of liking the new experience, knowing it’s only temporary. We only have a four month lease, so we’re enjoying this “simple life” while we can.

The kids have been troopers. We have had some rough days, but with all they’ve been through in the last few weeks, I have to hand it to them. And let’s face it, I’ve had my fair share of, ahem, moments as well, so we’re all dealing with the changes the best we can. 

There is so much to say, that I might as well just do a picture catch-up. That’s always a good way to get a lot out there. I’ll break all the happenings into installments: First up, the final days in MD and all the goodbyes:

I’m sure those diaper boxes saved us some money since we were paying by the foot.  I threw them away for about a year before saving them. Too bad. 001

We couldn’t have done it without so many awesome helpers from the ward! Love all you guys!210

It was a record cold week, and the first real snow right when we were moving. Nice. 039

Nana Jan arrived to help out. Hooray for reinforcements!213

So, KC’s work wasn’t being very cooperative about him taking time off (big projects were due) so it was up to me to get the rest of the truck packed before they came to pick it up. Elise came to the rescue, and we packed that thing like a couple of pros! It was actually pretty fun playing Tetris with my sister while mom had all the kids. 219224226235

Can you see us?237

As soon as the packing was out of the way and the truck was gone, I had a tiny bit of time to relax and have fun. Molly threw a little slumber party for the girls, and it was such a blast. I didn’t want the night to end. Pizza, chocolate fondue, croissant making, fingernail polish games, talking about anything and everything, all you could ever want in a sleepover! I miss my girls terribly.243242251

252253255256269273274276279283285288291

The next day, KC and his dad packed up the van and hit the road for their three day journey to Colorado! I wanted him there before the kids to get things a little set up for them. DSC_0853297301292303306311

We had to get creative entertaining the kids without all their toys and things. 316318

And Lili. 312313

The kids loved their little box table. 037334

Farewell lunch with some of my boot camp peeps! Miss those girls (and those that couldn’t make it.) And I miss those awesome workouts!052059

Christina came to be part of the cleaning crew one night. What a friend! 336

Since we only had access to one carseat (Penny’s), the kids got a little stir crazy. I took them out on little dates to break things up a little:

Ruby went with me to Costco and was in heaven when I let her walk beside me! Something you can’t do when you bring all three along.063066071

Bennett's outing wasn’t as eventful, but he did get to see Grandma Robinson first when we picked her up from the airport! He was quite a trooper sitting in the car for over an hour with hardly a complaint. He was a little chatterbox for the first half. “I’m so excited mommy!” 077

Alex ran a few last minute errands with me, and I couldn’t have asked for a better shopping/carwash buddy. His comments were hilarious as the car was getting scrubbed.  It’s so fun to take them out one on one. I have to remember to do it more often. 096100

The last workout! It was a run day, and it was 60 degrees! 083084Janice was great to babysit so mom could come!085Lisa and Dana, my surrogate moms!087

I came home from somewhere to find this one day. Nice job Grandma!101

Nana Jan also had some tricks up her sleeve with some new coloring books. 045

We sold KC’s trusty Civic to a very good home. Goodbye old friend!191

One day I was wracking my brain to think of something fun for the kids, and settled on playing with shaving cream and old beans (we didn’t have a lot to work with). It was actually pretty awesome to play with. Who knew?072077

Probably watching Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood.035

Not sure what they were looking at, but my mom brought this to my attention. So glad I got a picture. 081

I believe Jeff called this the “last supper”. I made sure we kept some ingredients for some decent meals as we were trying to use everything up. No food storage beans and rice in the final days for us! These sweet potato biscuits and stew really hit the spot. 050052

The worst goodbye of all. The Ribeiras! I can’t believe we don’t have an entire group picture! I miss my little sister like crazy. It’s impossible to say how much she’s helped me these past couple of years. There were tears. 830275_10200556374862733_1449149515_o830294_10200556379182841_836470652_oDSC_1114DSC_1101DSC_1070DSC_1084

It was a surreal feeling as I was standing alone in the house right before we left.  So many memories there. But I knew it was right that we were taking this big step, so I took some deep breaths and buckled up my seatbelt and headed to the airport with butterflies in my stomach.778799_10200556373742705_514950146_oDSC_1150 

Next up, the flight and arrival!

3 comments:

Jules said...

Reading this post makes me tired! Well done, to all of you, for successfully surviving such a big move.

Janice said...

I shed a few tears myself just thinking about you saying goodbye to your sister. You were so calm in those last days od Maryland!

Drew said...

I loved the picture of you two hiding in the truck. Tee hee! So much work! You did great! I can't wait to see you and all your poopsies whenever it happens! Hopefully soon.