Friday, May 31, 2013

It’s the simple things.

With life being on the hectic side these days, I often don’t get time recharge, if you will, each night before it all begins again the next day. But today, I was given a little gift right when I needed it.003

I’ve been getting to bed late, and unable to sleep in past 5:54ish for some reason, which is rather irritating since even my earliest riser doesn't wake up until about 6:30 or later, and she pretty much leaves us alone while she has free reign over the whole house. But on this day, I was grateful to wake up early because I had some dough rising overnight, and the project had to be finished for a 9:30 am gathering.

013

I got to work rolling out the soft dough on my recently-acquired huge amount of work space, and felt a sudden surge or optimism about life. Baking has always been my therapy, but lately my time spent in kitchen besides organizing, throwing together quick meals, and cleaning, has been close to nil. I didn’t realize how beneficial a little baking time by myself would be. I was on a high as I dusted flour, spread fillings, and shaped dough in total silence. I didn’t hear any little footsteps until the moment the orange rolls were set to rise, and that is a small miracle right there.

IMG_0941

As much as I love to have a little crew of baker’s helpers, sometimes mommy just needs a little time to play in the kitchen alone. I am more than happy to share the outcome with them though.

IMG_0963

I started the day more relaxed than I have in a long time, and although chaos ensued about two minutes after the kids came into sight, I was able to deal with it better than other days when I get woken up by that chaos.

IMG_0964

I guess I need to schedule in some morning time to myself more often. Baking something every morning might not be so good for swimsuit season, so looks like I better put another morning work-out routine in play (the reason I loved boot camp so much was that me-time it promised every day) and save the baking for special occasions, or when I feel like we deserve a sugar splurge. which these kids think is every single day (as do I).

IMG_0951

(Ruby usually comes out of her room dressed for the day. I wonder where she gets her morning energy from?)IMG_0948

1 comment:

Cami said...

I've been doing this same thing lately. I want to do something for MYSELF, and I can't even really take a walk, so I just make something yummy. Most of the time I don't even really want to eat any of it. I'm looking forward to the working out being my me-time again. Oh, but I do want to make those right now, immediately. I don't know if I have all the ingredients . ..