Monday, September 16, 2013

Three Four-Year-Olds!

Last Thursday was the day! The day my babies turned another year older, and how bittersweet it was. It’s hard to see their sweet baby features slowly disappear, but seeing them turn into such charming little people helps with the pain a bit. And knowing that as they get older, there might be less tantrums, fighting, and stubbornness (which I’m sure will only be replaced by other age appropriate annoyances) also makes it a little easier to deal with the years slipping away before my eyes.

We had quite a celebratory week! KC was out of town a couple days leading up to and on the day, leaving me little time to do the prep, but I made it alright keeping most of my patience in tact, just a little more tired than usual. Really, it was a fun week with the kids as we talked about the excitement ahead,  I laid out the birthday cereal the night before and let the festivities unfold the moment they woke up the next morning. 265

As usual, the boys came out of their rooms “dressed”. There was  a lot of excitement over the selections . I haven’t let them choose quite yet. I don’t think they’d let the box out of their clutches to set it aside for breakfast if I did. Maybe next year. Best, easiest birthday breakfast tradition ever. 269

Got dressed and tried to get some pictures of them all together. Ha.

150153

159161

I was going to surprise them with balloons when I picked them up from school, but I was husbandless, and I was going to them with school that day, so I took them to pick their own balloons out instead! Turns out it was a good change in the plan because they were thrilled. And they got plenty of attention in the dollar store as they paraded around, and told anyone that even looked at them that they were now four years old!281286287289

I took them out for a quick brunch at Jack in the Box before we headed to school. I’m sure a couple birthdays ago, I never would’ve envisioned taking them to a restaurant all by myself and actually having an enjoyable time (even their last birthday at a restaurant was quite a disaster). So much can change in four years!296

It was raining all day, but we didn’t let it dampen our spirits.302306

Like I said, I went to school with them that day. Their teacher emailed and asked if I wanted to, and I have always been curious about how things work there, so I happily obliged. What’s a better day to join the fun?!312311314

Such a fun class with great teachers and darling kids. (Don’t worry, everyone signed a form saying they didn’t mind pictures of their kids being taken.) They were so excited to pass our their treat. Even the teachers were happy about the frosted animal cookies.326330333

We got a little outside play in before it started to pour again.336

Daddy finally came home and joined the party! Presents were opened, and they were beyond thrilled with each and every one. 194196206220

Thanks Robinson Grandparents for the awesome helmets! They love them! (And thanks Graham Grandparents for the camping gear that we gave them a little early!)207

Finally, it was cake time! I always get a little anxious before birthdays trying to decide the flavors, fillings, décor, themes, etc. for the birthday cake. I never get too into it, with so many other things going on, but I try to make it a little special since it is kind of my thing. Then I realized  this year I could take the pressure off myself and finally let the kids decide! When asked what they wanted, Ruby chimed in first and requested a pink cake with Minnie Mouse on it. Bennett then took that idea and ran with it asking for a blue cake with Mickey Mouse on it. Alex, following the theme asked for a green cake with Donald on it. I love that they think alike, or fall into peer pressure. Whatever it is, it makes my job easier. I already had thought of splitting the cake into thirds (like their first birthday cake), and their requests worked well with that idea. The only Mickey Mouse type things I could find last minute as far as birthday cake decorations (cause don’t even think for a second I can draw the characters with frosting) were these maracas from the dollar store. They worked like a charm. I’m not much into character cakes myself, but the kids were beyond pleased as they saw their vision come to life. And it was all about them.172171175183226228

We had some cousins come celebrate with us! Such sweet boys.230

I surprised the kids with some polka dots inside the cake. It seemed like something they would like. And they did. I also made one of their favorite ice cream flavors, mint cookies ‘n’ cream.231233

It was a great, special day for my sweeties. It gets more fun as they are more aware of their birthday, and how special it makes them feel. But the fun wasn’t over yet! We took Friday to recuperate after a fun-filled day, and watched the rain come down. I  was wondering if the birthday party I had planned at the Berry Farm would be ruined by all this rain and threats of more, so I spent the morning thinking of alternate plans, hoping the kids wouldn’t be too disappointed. But as the afternoon came, the sun came with it and dried everything out and made for a great day at the park/Sonic. My faith in the party plan was restored, and everything was back on! It stayed dry all night, and we woke up to a beautiful sunny day. Kind of a miracle after the storms we’d been having.

We met a few friends at Berry Patch Farms in Brighton, CO, and from the moment we got there, I was glad that we had decided to have the party there. I had never been there, but when researching fruit picking farms, which I love to visit every year, I found that this one was pretty close and seemed to have raving reviews. The kids were so excited when we got there, they could hardly contain themselves. Especially when they saw their friends.020 143

It was the most adorable setting, and the raspberries were plentiful. It was so cute seeing all the kids get excited every time they found a ripe one to pick. It was actually pretty hot while we were out there since we were all dressed for a little rain, but we were just happy that the sun was shining. 392026027049065032037039042045047058082061

spontaneous raspberry “Cheers!”069070071075086

After we’d had our fill of raspberry picking, and the kids were getting anxious to move onto other things, we made our way to the tables in a cute shady corner of the farm. We passed out snack bags, and we adults enjoyed some snacks of our own. I love keeping things low key, so this party was definitely my style as I let the outdoors and the conversation provide all the entertainment. 090091098103099101

I always feel like it’s a lot to ask of people to bring three gifts, so I mentioned that gifts weren’t necessary at this birthday party. Still people were kind to bring some, and again, the kids were so grateful for everything. 106109115119122

The big surprise was from Jen and Mckenna. They kids are loving that water table! So sweet of them, and everyone else that came to celebrate with us.127129

We finished off with Funfetti cupcake-cones with Birthday Party ice cream on top. No plates or utensils necessary! Not only well received by kids but also the adults. 134135138

We drove home feeling so content with how everything worked out. We love that our friends could join us to celebrate this milestone with us. And the the weather miraculously cooperated. Seriously, there was an insane flash-floor only a couple hours after we got home. Like, feet of standing water down the street, news-making rain/hail. We were very lucky. And the rain made for an exciting afternoon! Really, the day was thoroughly enjoyed by the whole family. I rarely heard a complaint or broke up a fight. A true sign of a good day.

I tired explaining to the kids now that they’re a little older, just how unique and exciting it is to share their birthday with their siblings. They don’t quite realize yet that not all kids are like this. And while it can be tricky for all of us at times, it’s amazing that they are here, and that they have each other, and that they are healthy, happy four year old kids. I still can’t believe it when I stop and think about our journey to this point. They are my babies, and always will be, no matter if they’re 4, 24, or 54. I’ll never forget how I felt he moment I first saw their heartbeats and thought about how my life would be from that moment on. I’m so proud that they call me mommy. These sweet faces are more than I could have ever asked for.

068102110

Happy birthday to by best little friends.

3 comments:

Janice Graham said...

All wonderful.

Drew said...

Such fun birthday festivities! It sounds like a good time was had by all.

Janice said...

Thank you for sharing all these photos and story! It's almost as great as being there. Almost..