Monday, September 20, 2010

It’s all a blur.

That is usually my response when people ask how the first year of parenting triplets has been. Most days just ran together, making it hard to distinguish one day from the next. I honestly can’t believe how quickly a year can pass you by, when each day can seem so long. I am always amazed at how perfectly healthy and happy my once-tiny babies now are. It’s almost like they wanted to prove to everyone that they would be just fine, despite they early arrival.  The road we took to get these babies in our lives will never be lost on me. Of course, there are hard days that I have felt stretched so thin I could hardly think straight. But I have still been able to see why God has given me such a wonderful task. I think the kids and I will learn a lot from each other in the years to come. And since I have a tendency to ramble, I’m going to stop right there and get to the fun stuff.

We had a GREAT party! Their birthday was on Sunday, September 12th, so we had  the party on the Saturday prior. My goal was to create as little stress as possible. I made a  small cake for them (carrot so it could be their dinner at the same time (j/k , it just sounded good)), ordered a big cake from Costco for the guests, and also had animal crackers, fruits snacks, grapes, and homemade root beer. We blew up the pool, and had a sprinkler going for the kids. The weather was perfect, being warm enough for the pool, and cool enough for lounging outside (except for those annoying mosquitoes that were eating us alive.) My mom was here, of course, and we had invited KC’s parents a couple months ago, and were so delighted that they could make it. We also invited a few of our closest friends and their families. We knew the babies wouldn’t know who came or not, but I needed my support group there with me to celebrate this big event. We’ve had A LOT of help with the babies, that is for sure, and I wanted this to be a little thank you as well. We wish that our family and friends that are far away could’ve celebrated with us too. The babies will always be reminded of the many people that love them.

Instead of making three cakes, I just made one, decorated three different ways.  As we were all singing Happy Birthday, it really finally dawned on me that I was singing it to my children. I couldn’t help but get a tiny bit choked up, but not noticeable enough to make things awkward at the party, so don’t worry. They were appropriately messy after their first big piece of birthday cake.IMG_6941IMG_6952

AIMG_6969IMG_7006

BIMG_6987IMG_6966

RIMG_6983IMG_6997

051

The babies splashed around in the pool for a while, and then decided they had had enough of this party business, and wanted to go relax inside where that could crawl around and play with their toys. The babies got a nice bath, chaperoned by Grandma Robinson, were changed into their snuggly pjs, and KC’s parents were kind enough to look after them inside while we stayed outside with our friends for little while, but we did get visits from the babies now and then. And even though I said presents weren’t necessary, people were so kind to bring them anyway. These are some lucky babies I have.  It was a great night for me. I felt so close to everyone there, and so happy to be celebrating such an event.

After everyone left, we fed the tired birthday babies, and put them to bed. I think we were all pretty beat. We cleaned up, ate our dinner, and all retired ourselves. A very successful, memorable day.

On Sunday, their actual birthday, I woke up so excited to celebrate some more. It was almost like Christmas to me. We had a lot more presents to give them, and I couldn’t wait to see how they liked them. I was so happy to see their sweet faces when they woke up, and to tell them happy birthday. We pulled out a few fun new things in the morning, which kept them pretty busy. After church I showed them the big pool of play balls we got for them. It wasn’t as well received by Alex as the other two, but I think it will grow on him. They like to play with the balls, even if they don’t always want to play in them yet. 005

After a good nap, the party continued. KC’s parents were staying in a nearby hotel (which was very kind of them, as the house is quite crowded these days) so we took advantage of the hotel pool. The babies have never been in a real pool before, and after the initial caution wore off, they LOVED it! They were kicking and splashing like crazy. It was so fun to see their faces enjoying it so much.  103 095

We came home, got dry, and had more cake after dinner (only because I had leftover carrot cake batter that I made into a bundt.) So we thought we might as well sing again, and let them eat more cake. But this time I cut it into bit sized pieces, and gave them considerably less, but they loved it all the same. We had a few more gifts to open, which the babies really enjoyed (and since the new toys and books keep them so busy, they make me happy too). And then the very tired babies went to bed after another long, celebratory day.   

And that is where the birthday celebrations end. It only took me a week to record it. Geez. I have to say, when we put them to bed, I was feeling a little down that the celebrating was over. Kind of how it feels after my birthday or Christmas. But I know there are a lot of birthday yet to enjoy, so my post-birthday blues didn’t last long.

I suppose I could do a little list of all the thing the babies are doing at this pivotal time in their lives, but then this post would be even longer, so I’ll spare you. They are just adorable, hilarious, smart little people, and they amaze me every day. It’s been the most wonderful, crazy, heart-wrenching, sweet, happiest, most stressful, hardest, joyous time of my life. And I know there is even more fun to be had.  I still can’t believe they are mine. Here’s a little walk down memory lane.  

AlexIMG_1258 IMG_1330

Bennett 

9-19-09_199-19-09_06

RubyIMG_11669-19-09_29

14 comments:

Sarah said...

What a huge year! Congratulations for surviving and handling it so beautiful. You are a natural! :) Can't wait to see them again.

SassyMama said...

Happy Birthday, babies!

Congrats on surviving the first year. It only gets better from here:)

Natalie and Ryan said...

Happy Birthday little triplets! The cake is beautiful and the smashing looked fun.

Savannah said...

Happy Birthday little ones! They are so darling and really have come so far! Look how teeny they used to be- amazing! BTW I love your cake idea, so clever!

Drew said...

Oh my word, they were SO tiny! I love the picture of Ruby lying down on the edge of the balls. Happy birthday, babies!!!

Molly said...

Thanks for inviting us to such a fun party! Loved the pics:)Hum..except for that one of me playing password! Your babies are so darling, especially all dolled up for church. And, wow, 2 birthdays!!! They totally got spoiled; How fun!
You made it Em!!! It only gets more fun, but I'm sure you've heard that before. We're so glad to be a part of these little babies lives:)

Janice said...

We had a great time with all you great people! Love all the photos! Fun memories. Miss holding them already. :(

Susan said...

"Super cute"--Lily
"I love the look of the cake"--Beth

I am so amazed not that you made it through the year, but how WELL you made it through the year, with grace, laughter, and strength. You guys are my heroes!

Kassi said...

Happy Birthday!

Hannah said...

What cuties! Seriously. Every one of them.

You look way too good for having birthed 3 kiddos only a year ago!

Silvia said...

Happy Birthday!
¡Feliz Cumpleaños!
Silvia.

Unknown said...

Man, what a fabulous party!! Those are some spoiled babies you have there!

I can't beleive it's already been a year, time is flyin' by!

Oh, and I Love that cake idea, it turned out darling.

Angela Draper said...

I can't believe it's already been a year! Your kids are SO adorable! Happy Birthday!

Cami said...

I can't believe how much they've changed. This year HAS gone so fast! We were all reminiscing at the Beat Beethoven run about the year before. Happy Late B-day Babies!