Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

It’s so fun to see how different places celebrate Christmas. I’ve really been looking forward to enjoying this time of year in our new hometown. This place has really transformed into a beautiful, twinkly Christmas town. Every neighborhood’s entrance is decorated and lighted up so nicely, it’s almost like they’re trying to outdo each other. Mainstreet is lined with trees decked out in lights, and the kids were even excited to see wreaths and garlands draped on the neighborhood signs. Christmas just brings such happiness into the air. Add a bunch of snow and Christmas music, and you can help but feel a little bit better about the world. We’ve been enjoying the season so much. This is what we’ve been up to lately, as well as a little catch-up.

We finally went to the Denver Zoo on a very unseasonably warm Saturday. The kids loved the penguins the most. And we decided it’s still okay to being the stoller for places like this. 489497517535546550551553

Ruby doing her usual winter thing. Love how much easier nebulizing is compared to when she was a baby.578

She decided to cute herself some bangs one day. I know it could’ve been worse, but this mommy was not happy.593

The Superman obsessed boy. He drew this self-portrait one day.616

And wears this cape everywhere. 626628

Being Santa in the tub,118 

Going to dance.261

Gingerbread houses and Christmas cookies with the Charvats. It was a madhouse, but a fun one!IMG_2345IMG_2342

454472IMG_2356IMG_2357484486IMG_2363

The best thing about the busy days is how quickly they nod off at night. 527

Always a hit when they come out for the season.533IMG_2373

Wasn’t this everyone’s dream as a kid?576

Painting projects.602

They helped me with this star we put lights on, which soon stopped working, so gave up. Can’t will them all!626

Once in a while they’re good when we go to the store. Especially if candy canes are involved.064

They never tire of all the Christmas decorations. 658660

But sometimes I regret bringing them along. 730733736

We decorated the kids’ little tree a few days before Thanksgiving. They just couldn’t wait another day (or it was I who couldn’t wait for them to stop begging.) All on their own, they broke out into a rousing Deck The Halls. So cute to hear all three singing as they decorated. IMG_2313IMG_2324IMG_2336092113

Her special place. I always find animals around, on, or in both Christmas trees.643

Making forts.IMG_2365

Festive lounging.IMG_2486

This girl came shopping with me on Black Friday morning, and was thrilled to meet this guy. I told her not to tell the boys!085

I thought this tree chain would keep them from asking me every two seconds if it was Christmas yet. Instead, they just asked me every two seconds if they could tear another one off. So I just let them. Maybe next year.102

Bought our big Christmas tree! (More pics of that coming up.)116

Went to Parker’s park lighting ceremony. So gorgeous.138143153

I wrapped up a bunch of Christmas books we’ve collected over the years, and have let them open one every night until Christmas. They do very well with the turn calendar, thank goodness.214217220238

The surrounding neighborhoods did not disappoint when we drove around looking at lights.255

I don’t give in and buy prizes every time we go to the store, but they looked so cute in these hats, I couldn’t resist. 268273276

That horse ride in 1 cent!299

We froze over for a few days there, which thrilled the kids. And me, since they’d play outside while I watched them from my bedroom, or living room window.355

I used to HATE the cold and snowy days, but now that I have a fenced in backyard, and kids that can put on their own snow clothes, I kind of love it. Except the clean up.049

And unlike the east, now school closings for us! 366371

So much more to document, so little time. I hope I can get to a couple more posts before the big day. We’re trying to soak in the Christmas cheer until we can then!

No comments: