Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Way Too Fast

It’s not really fair that we celebrated Halloween for what seemed like months, and then we get a measly 3 weeks for Christmas! But we did let Christmas leak a little into Thanksgiving time, and I am not ashamed of that in the least (sorry all you Holiday overlap haters). It really is such a  joyous time of year. Not that it makes my home any less chaotic (definitely more), but still, it makes the air just a little lighter in the crazy times, and to have the grand finale of the year to look forward to everyday just makes life more fun. The day before Christmas Eve always gets to me. I try not to think about how quickly the couple following days will go, yet I can’t wait for the big day to arrive! Ah well, the years come and go so fast as I get older, I always have the holiday season to get excited about.

Enough of all this downer stuff, it’s time to bring the holiday cheer! Santa’s almost here! This year the kids are just on the verge of grasping the it all. An hour is an eternity to them, so when we would excitedly tell them things like “Christmas is only a week away!”, they’d just squirm around, saying they couldn’t possibly wait that long. So, I can’t wait to tell them when they go to bed tomorrow that Santa is really going to come the very next morning. I know that is something they’ll understand and really get excited about.  Oh, I can’t wait! Family presents were wrapped a few days ago while watching (and laughing out loud at) Christmas vacation, Santa gifts have been organized, some impulse buys have been returned (at about 6:45 this morning because a)I wake up that early, and b)I really didn’t want to deal with the crazy crowds, and the festive groceries have been purchased. I think all we need is for someone to find the Santa presents, and we’ll be all set!

Oh wait, that already happened last night! I have been so careful to keep things tucked here and there, up high and down low, in trunks of cars and behind locked doors. After we did the gift audit/organization, I had a stash in my closet ready to go, covered with a nearby towel I just grabbed, and always being careful to close the door behind me. Well, my little bedtime wanderer Ruby (we’re working on ways to get her to stay in her ever-loving bed, while the boys have never once come out without permission) and I happened to be downstairs when the silent sneaker made her way there for some crazy reason. Seriously, why?! Luckily, being the honest, permission-seeking girl that she is, she came down and asked to play with certain items she saw, and when I figured out what she was talking about, my heart sank a little. I didn’t want to get mad, I was just confused. But it wasn’t the end of the world, because like I said, she’s still so young, Santa facts haven’t quite sunken in yet, and I felt like I could still fix the situation. When she asked me about the presents again in the morning (the kid never forgets anything, ever) I told her I had to take them all back to the store, and if she was really, really good for the next couple days, Santa might just bring her those very things. And hey, now I know she really wants those things, and will be thrilled to see them come Christmas morning. If Santa brings them to her, that is. Not the worst predicament, just something I hadn’t encountered yet as a parent, so definitely a funny situation for me to be in.

The Sunday before Christmas is always fun. I guess since we never really get spruced up on Christmas Day (who has time when there are toys to be played with?!) that’s the opportunity to get on the Christmasy clothes, comb the hair, and take pictures. How can we not take so many when they look so shiny and cute? Bennett has been on a rebellious streak lately, and asking him to pose for a pictures is never something he’s happy to do. But as I’ve said before, I’ve learned to appreciate, and  even love, the candid nature of our photos since the kids were born. It’s always fun to see what our real life was like through the pictures we take. So here’s as good as it gets with three four-year-olds all darling and ready for Christmas Sunday.

Ruby and Alex always love a group hug. Bennett doesn’t care for them197199201

Classic206210214

Getting closer.218220222223228230

Maybe adding KC will help keep them in line.233

235238

Not sure how these faces survive the kisses I smother them with everyday.245263252

There was only one willing to pose with me. Love that boyfriend.272273276

And the cheesy family shot. And not even a great one, but the kids were done, so I didn’t care that feet were cut off. 283

Phew! I’m exhausted just thinking about those few minutes of picture-taking craziness. Now, I must got to sleep for our fun, eventful day we have planned for tomorrow! I really do love Christmas Eve the most. I’m giddy just thinking about it.

1 comment:

Janice said...

These photos are a Christmas treasure to me. I can feel the craziness of the attempt to get everyone smiling together!