Sunday, January 05, 2014

My Favorite Christmas Yet

Celebrating our first Christmas in our new house was all I pictured it would be, and more. We kept it low-key, planning very little, and thinking of new traditions our little family would enjoy. As they get older, new options and ideas present themselves, which makes it all the more fun. This was a truly magical Christmas with four year olds. They are young enough to believe, and old enough for the parents to have a little fun too. Santa was real is our house this year, that is for sure. I never want their innocence to end. I was really soaking in their sweet childhood, since I know all too soon these  kinds of Christmases will be in the past. But, let’s not dwell on such things, we have fun festivities to talk about!

On Christmas Eve, we wanted to take the kids to a movie, something my family always did. This is the first Christmas with the kids where that has seemed like a fun idea, and it made me excited. We’d already seen Frozen, so we checked out the $2.50 theater and thought Despicable Me 2 matinee would be a good idea. They kids were so thrilled to be there, and were whispering before we even stepped into the building, since they were told we have to be quiet in movie theaters. They got a little antsy after a while, but we pushed through and all had a good laugh. Those Minions are kids pleasers! Ruby laughing out loud the whole time cracked me up. Family outings like this make me so happy. Especially when they’re successful (cause even now, that’s not always the case).247249

This was also the first year we included the kids in the annual Fondue. It’s always just been easier to put them to bed early, and enjoy a quiet adult meal (we really missed the Ribieras who we usually ate with in MD), but they’re definitely old enough this year, and I knew they’d love it. And they did! From the fun forks, to the festive nog, they had a blast. We kept it very basic  as far as dippers go, as so not overwhelm the kids with choices (can’t wait to pull out the big guns, like previous years). Of course no dinner lasts more than 5 minutes of actual sitting around the table around here, and Christmas Eve was no exception, but it was memorable all the same. We finished up with dinner by 5, which I loved. 372375378387390391

Our neighbor was having a Cuban themed open house, so we made an appearance. During the short time we were there enjoying empanadas, and other tasty treats, the kids definitely hit a wall. Tantrums, and all. But it was a low-key party, and we were two houses from home, so it was no biggy. 273274

Finally it was time to open the new pajamas from my mom and dad. Always a much anticipated event. They loved them, but Alex asked if he could wear his Superman shirt over his, in case he had to save the day.393394

396398281

We talked about the Nativity story using the Little People which wasn’t nearly as peaceful as it looks or sounds), put out the dark chocolate mint cookies for Santa, and it was off to bed. I forgot to give them their ornaments until almost all of them were asleep, but I got them little gingerbread houses to commemorate our first Christmas in our new house. Ruby was still awake and was very excited to sleep with hers. 406418422

They fell asleep quickly, and then the setup, my favorite part, began! Getting the presents all ready, and imaging their faces as they walked down the stairs gave me butterflies all evening. We did a little bike assembly, but other than that, things were pretty much good to go since we’d done a big gift-wrapping session a few days earlier. We don’t put any presents under the tree until that night, because, you know, four year olds in the house, so it was truly a sight seeing everything in place.429444446

Ruby woke up coughing her poor little head off (not sick, just dry winter asthma stuff) pretty early, so we made her snuggle in our bed for a while. I told her we could wake up the boys at 6:30, and as soon as I started to doze off again, she excitedly exclaimed, “It’s sixty-three one! Let’s get the boys!” I couldn't wait to get them either. Ruby was frustrated that they took so long to wake up, but the second I said that Santa came, they perked right up! I made them wait while I went to turn on lights, and down the stairs they came in a line, just as I imagined. And I should add that Alex’s bedhead couldn’t have been more perfect. They first looked at the cookie plate and saw that only crumbs were left. That thrilled them! Then they noticed all the toys! So much happiness was in our house that morning. My cheeks were hurting because I was smiling so much. I was kind of fairytale-ish for me. Everyone so happy and getting along so well. I didn’t want it to end. 291437452454456462465470474480

Then the opening of family presents, which was also a frenzy of excitement. They loved every single thing, but what I loved the most was when they opened the presents they bought for each other. Seeing how excited they were when someone opened something they picked out was absolutely priceless. I love that they love to give. The little dollar store prizes were worth more than anything I could’ve picked out for them. 482485487489496511512520522524

Perfect Aunt Camille. Thank you so much!316319528

The morning fun continued with the traditional pull-a-parts for breakfast. We normally make a strata as well, but we were traveling the next day, so we didn’t want to have too many leftovers. The addition of bacon helped to balance the sweet. The kids were too busy playing to eat much anyway, so I’m glad I didn’t go to too much trouble. 530541545

We stayed in our pajamas playing with new toys for most of the day, rode bikes outside in the gorgeous weather while chatting with neighbors doing the same, and just enjoyed a day of contentedness. I also was so tired I thought I would die, so I helped myself to a two hour nap. Best Christmas present ever!! It felt so amazingly awesome. Can’t remember the last time I had a nap, much less on Christmas Day!538585036546557562042044046057065

Dinner was another simple meal to avoid too much mess and leftovers, so I just made a quick pizza, and tried to make it festive my arranging the toppings to look like a Christmas tree. Again, the kids didn’t care much for a meal after all the treats and things, but at least I tried. Then it was off to bed with them at a reasonable hour. 572565

KC and I got into a cleaning mode to prepare for an early departure the next morning, but got caught up watching completely adorable videos of previous Christmas mornings (here, here and here). I love this age, but how I miss those chubby babies. Every Christmas has been magical since they came along.

We miraculously got the house in order, and made it to bed feeling like the day was a wonderful success. It really was my favorite yet. The new house made it especially special. It made me think of the many Christmases that are to come here, and it makes me happy. Love this family, love this time of year when we make so many fun memories together, and love my Savoir who is always in my heart. Merry Christmas to all!

4 comments:

Katie Fish said...

It DOES sound magical!! I can't wait for next year because we will finally (for the first time in 8 years) be staying home for Christmas.

Drew said...

That all sounds so very magical! Also: BACON IN PULLAPARTS YES. I hope we get to see your kids again soon.

Emily said...

The bacon wasn't actually IN the pull a parts. Just on the side. But that gets me thinking...

Christina Updike said...

I love this post! And I LOVE your traditions! I have been wanting to create my own . . . movie on Christmas eve, pjs and ornaments the night before, Fondue . . . I love it all!! You really do have such a fabulous family!