Thursday, July 09, 2015

Things are about to get real.

This whole school year has been a bit of a blur, being six weeks pregnant when it began, and having a three month old when it ended, but I tried my best to stay in tune with the kids and this memorable time for them. Kindergarten was a good year for the triplets and I have loved seeing them progress academically and socially. I chose to keep them in the same class to make my life a little less complicated during the pregnancy, and it was definitely the right choice. I love that they had each other during this big transition, although their teacher might have had to put up with a little more from them because they were together. Speaking of, they loved Ms. Hudgen. It’s a little scary handing over all three of your kids to a complete stranger (it was her first year teaching at our school, though not a first year teacher), but we definitely lucked out. She was wonderful with them. Being a kindergarten teacher must be quite the task. Having a small group of kindergarten age children at home driving me bonkers with the silliness this age brings, I can only imagine how a whole classroom full must rattle your brain. She was so attentive with each child and kept such great control of the classroom, all while showing love for the individual students, and being able to focus on their weaknesses and strengths. We are so appreciative to her for teaching so much to Alex, Bennett and Ruby to prepare them for the years ahead. I consider her a friend of mine and I’m sure the kids will always remember her.

Among all the events of the last week of school was the much anticipated graduation program. A lot of work was put into it and it was great. They had to dress up as something they wanted to be when they grew up, and after a little back and forth  (A’s first choice was a construction worker, and B’s a babysitter (?)) we ended up with an artist, a veterinarian, and a surgeon. I wasn’t too happy about having to gather costumes during this already busy time of year, not to mention having a newborn to look after, but with a few things we had at home, Dollar Tree, Amazon, and a friend’s generosity, they came together quite easily and turned out pretty adorable.  535482

They sang a few cute songs to familiar tunes with new lyrics (“I Don’t want to grow up, I’m a Prairie Crossing kid”, “Kindergarten, had me a bla-ast” (to the tune of Summer Nights), and a new version of the pop song Dynamite),  all songs I came to know very well by the time they were performed. I loved watching them sing their little hearts out while doing to actions they’d worked hard to learn.553

There was a sweet slide show, and then they each received a darling little diploma from their teacher. 583(I knew they were getting these pictures taken, but decided not to purchase. Lucky for me they came in the diploma because I didn’t know they were so cute!)  112311241125592

They were most excited about the cookies and juice of course. 591

They asked that people fold up chairs at the end, and Alex just chipped right in, the sweetheart. 600

Our attempt at a family picture outside the school. It was hot. We were tired. 616

As if cookies weren’t enough, we sprung for celebratory dip cones. 620

There were still a couple days of school left after that, including field day. They loved this fun last week of events, and you better believe I was using every moment of triplet-free time to get things done/go on errands before summer break.

Can’t have a last day of school without some front porch pics. 803821826She was inside being a sweetheart.841

Here are some from the first day of school to compare. Their baby faces are disappearing before my eyes.077083091

Now comes 1st grade. I feel like it’s the end of an era. Preschool and kindergarten were very similar in that they were only gone in the afternoons. I’ve loved having lazy mornings. We could still do little kid things like go to the park with friends, Smaland and lunch at IKEA, or stay in our pjs until 10 (or later).  School was only a short part of the day and I felt like they were still my little buddies. I chose the afternoon class to feel like real life didn’t have to start yet and knew very well that it was sweet time where they were in school, but not so busy yet. But it’s time to face the facts that they are entering this new life. One that starts right when they wake up and goes all day. While starting parenthood with three at once has never been easy, I have loved this crazy, concentrated, all-kids-all-the-time party, and it’s sad to me that it’s coming to an end. I never thought I’d say that I miss being knee deep in kids all day, but  there was something so special about  the time my little ones and I had together. The intensity makes it that much harder to move on, if that makes sense. This has definitely been the toughest transition for me so far. Thank goodness I have Hazel to keep me in this fun phase a little longer, although I am sure one sidekick will be quite a different experience than three.  

All that being said, they are ready to learn more and take on more responsibility. Something tells me I’ll somehow manage to keep from getting  too depressed having all three gone for a good chunk of the day to do whatever Hazel and I please. I’m sure it will be rough ;). 

BUT, we still have another month of summer before all that begins, and we’re going to enjoy every moment of laziness we can until then. Here’s to my Kindergarten Grads!!

2 comments:

Janice said...

Big change just ahead. Love all the fun photos of these kids.

ina240 said...

Bravo Kids