Monday, December 12, 2011

Another year, another Christmas party!

After some thought, Elise and decided we were in the mood to co-host another Christmas party. I’m not the type that wants to dibs this event every year, but being afraid that the season would come and go without a rousing gathering of friends, we just went for it again, and we are so glad we did. The theme this year: “Ugly Sweater Mocktail Party”! We loved the contrast between the silly attire, and sophisticated food and drinks. We Provided a non-drinker-friendly bar, including Pina Coladas, Grape-Appletinis, and Pomegranate Mojitos. Elise made some adorable instruction signs above the bar so people could mix their own throughout the night. She also made some cute little name tags that people tied on their glasses in case they mixed theirs with someone else's.  We also had a selections of slightly less sophisticated drinks, like, Ginger ale punch, Festive Nog (Egg Nog mixed with Sprite), Sparkling Cider, and even a keg of Root Beer. We also provided, and asked others to bring, some appetizers. I made herbed goat cheese balls, and lemon-raspberry crumb bars, as well as some quick mini quiches, just in case. The tables just kept filling up with the most wonderful foods as people arrived. It was quite a feast of appetizers and desserts! They were so good, in fact,  that I had to change from my tights and tight-waisted skirt to more confortable jeans half way through the party. One perk of being the host, I guess. DSC_0273DSC_0275DSC_0277DSC_0290DSC_0313IMG_3917IMG_3913IMG_3905

We had some spectacularly ugly sweaters show up. We also had some great-looking, normal outfits in the bunch, so hopefully no one mixed up people’s intentions for their attire. KC and I got into full character, complete with red sparkly tights, and socks with sandals. (And I should note that when the kids saw us in our sweaters they were completely in awe and couldn’t stop exclaiming about everything they saw. Of course Ruby loved the tiny snowmen on my mock turtle neck.) There was a vote for the best (meaning, ugliest) sweater in the bunch, and Ryan won, hands down, with his green festive cardigan. (And we were informed that soon after leaving the party, he and his wife got pulled over, but got out of it for being festive, and having cookies to bribe the officer with. Nice.) Though, KC came in a close second (not that we would take the prize, had he won). He got a prize that included chocolate, Italian soda, and Elise threw in a free Christmas card design! I’m so glad people had fun with this. It was my first ugly sweater party, and I hope it’s not my last. DSC_0262DSC_0265DSC_0270DSC_0317

The White Elephant exchange was excellent, as always. It’s always a surprise what gets passed around. I was sure my high-heel shaped soap dispenser would be a dud, but I was wrong! Oh, I love a tacky gift exchange. IMG_3922

We had such a great turnout, and were so pleased to be with so many great people. It’s always inevitable that we’ll have fun with our friends. There’s never a shortage of great conversation, or laughs. We’ve been hear for almost six years, and over those years we have made some lasting friendships we hope to never lose touch with. This party was such a great way to get us all in one place. We definitely feel like a kind of family. (We took these after the first couple left. Sorry Wendy and Larry!)DSC_0338DSC_0339

When the last guests left a little after midnight, we had fun laughing about the night as we all cleaned anything that had to get done before we collapsed. The kids did pretty well. The boys were zonked through the entire thing, but Ruby heard us partying and needed a little cuddling a couple times during the night. It was fine with me though. I loved that dark, quiet time with my girl.  We may have been tired the next day, and it may have taken a day or two to get my kitchen in order again, but I am so happy we made this party happen. I always need a fun gathering like this to bring the Christmas cheer to that next level, and this year did not disappoint!DSC_0359DSC_0361DSC_0357DSC_0368DSC_0369We might have had a little too much fun pretending to be drunk.

 

No comments: