Thursday, December 01, 2011

Trotting, Feasting, and Playing.

It’s been quite a week over here. The fun began when KC’s parents came to town last Sunday. We invited them for Thanksgiving to make it more festive. And festive it was.

I was thrilled to be able to participate in a 5k downtown on Thanksgiving morning. Elise, Jeff, Penny, KC and I all took the quick ride on the Metro right to Pennsylvania Avenue where the race started. KC’s parents were wonderful to watch the kids while KC came to cheer me on! We met up with my friend Courtney, a much more experienced runner than myself, which made it all the more fun. And although some girls might be embarrassed to be wearing the same shirt, Courtney and I thought it was awesome. The morning was pretty cold, but it warmed up quickly. I’m sure all 7,500 runners were happy to see the clear skies after several days of rain we’d had. It was a most gorgeous day to be in the beautiful Washington DC. The course was lovely, crossing the national Mall right in front of the capital building. Between the beautiful architecture, and the people running in turkey costumes, there was plenty to keep me entertained while I ran. I could hardly pay attention to Ender’s Shadow playing on my Ipod. And thanks to the hill-less roads, I was able to improve my last 5k time by over two-and-a-half minutes! It really was the greatest way to start a Thanksgiving day. I hope I can always keep this tradition going.

Pre-race:009_thumb1377207_2658571554409_1559490057_3274[2]377187_2658577874567_1559490057_3274[1]316030_2658572914443_1559490057_3274[1]

Mid-race:014_thumb14382023_2658580114623_1559490057_3274

Post-race:015_thumb2

We then got home and got to cooking. With three ladies willing to take part in the meal, and the guys manning the turkey frying station outside, we were able to get a nice spread on the table with minimal stress. We had a great selection of appetizers to hold everyone over. The babies woke up from their nap to the food on the table, and to my surprise, pretty much left it alone, except to grab a snack here and there. Such polite little ones. I thought the food would be on the floor within minutes, but I suppose they really are growing up. They loved Janice’s cheese spread and crackers. We kept them entertained the best we could until dinner with printable pictures to color.IMG_3269_thumbIMG_3283_thumbIMG_3292_thumbIMG_3300_thumbP1010734IMG_3308_thumb

By the time we all sat down for dinner though, the kids’ politeness they’d shown earlier, went out the window. They didn’t really want to try any food besides a few bites of some rolls (and Alex may have finished everyone’s sweet potatoes). So dinner, was a bit on the hectic side of things. But I think it added to the great memories we’ll carry from this time in our lives. There will be so many years of calm and quiet, more sophisticated meals, I like that we’ll have these experiences to look back on and laugh about, and probably miss desperately. We did enjoy our great selection of pies (banana cream-me, spiced pecan-Jeff, and pumpkin with a pecan crumbly topping-Janice) after the kids were asleep, which was lovely. All in all, it was a fun, filling day.DSC_0167_thumbDSC_0177DSC_0159DSC_0178DSC_0173_thumbDSC_0186 (1)IMG_3313_thumb1DSC_0112_thumbIMG_3315_thumb1

Elise and I had our calendars marked for some Black Friday shopping. We don’t participate in all the craziness, but wait until about 8 or 9 am. There was hardly ANYONE shopping at that time. Out of probably eight stores, I stood in one line that lasted only a few minutes. I had much too much success, and had a blast shopping with my little sis.

We have been enjoying our leftovers immensely. We tried something new, on Jeff’s suggestion, that I’d highly recommend: Thanksgiving leftover empanadas. So, so, so good. Try it.IMG_3437_thumb

The rest of the time KC’s parents were here, we fit quite a bit in, like Janice’s Birthday dinner (thanks again for the most delicious enchiladas Elise!), many visits to the park, eating too many treats at the Amish Market, playing in the leaves, canning some of Janice’s mom’s famous mustard relish, and just being entertained and exhausted by the kids every second they were awake. 003_thumb1IMG_3247_thumb1IMG_3257_thumbIMG_3332_thumbIMG_3341_thumbIMG_3466_thumb035_thumb1044_thumb1

KC had an opportunity to take a last minute trip to Hawaii on business. Believe me, I thought of every possible way I could go with him, but with Ruby getting over a cold, and the last minute flights being ridiculously expensive, it just wasn’t in the cards for me to go along. So Grandma and Grandpa kept us company while he was gone. He’s home now, so we’re officially back to real life. But that real life includes everything Christmas these days, which makes me one happy lady.

3 comments:

Lili and Jeff said...

What a fun week! Bravo to us on our successful and crowded 5k. And thank YOU for all your wonderful prep and food for Thanksgiving, as well as the continuous leftovers that followed. My favorite picture is the blanket one, with Ruby freaking out in the back. HA HA, classic Ruby.

Drew said...

That sounds like such a fun and picturesque course! I'm sure there were a great many runners present. That food also looks amazing, and it makes me want Thanksgiving dinner all over again. That pecan pie is just beautiful! Even people who don't care for pecan pie must agree.

melody said...

Looks like an awesome race and awesome dinner. Really, wish I could have been there!