Tuesday, August 07, 2012

So many good books, so little time.

I think I went a little overboard at the library the other day. 198I just got in a serious mood to make a dent in my to-read list, and this was the result. And this stack doesn’t include the two audiobooks I currently have on my iPod (The Lightening Thief, and Daddy-Long-Legs), and the three other books I have on my kindle app (Ethan Frome, Jude the Obscure, and The Picture of Dorian Gray), though I’d like to get the audio versions of those as well. And to think, just several years ago I was one of those that just thought reading wasn’t for me. Now I’m hooked. Without a good book readily available, I get a little panicky. I don’t think I’ll have that feeling for a while, with this great variety of material waiting for me. I’m sure I’ll burn through a lot of it as I train for some big races coming up.

And why is it that I prefer audiobooks? Who has time to sit and read when their life looks like this for nearly every waking moment? (And who can stay awake when they actually have a quiet moment to themselves to sit a read? Not me.)030

(Okay, sometimes they give me a break and do things like this. Although I’m sure it lasted all of two minutes.)034

Multitasking is key in my life if I want to get anything recreational accomplished, and I can plow through a lot of books while I clean the endless messes around here. I actually (kind of) look forward to tackling the neglected playroom when I have a good book at the ready. Even weeding the front yard got me through a good portion of A Thousand Splendid Suns (there were a lot of weeds…)  I’ve also found that I prefer them over the radio when I’m driving anywhere alone. I can always count on my drive to and from boot camp every morning to get me through a couple of chapters. I don’t mind a real book now and then, but if I want to get as much read as I would like, I find audiobooks to be the answer at this point in my life. I am absolutely loving this new obsession of mine.

(Cami, most of these choices are a result of me scanning your favorites on your Shelfari. Thanks!)

7 comments:

Janice Graham said...

Ditto! You're so clever with the audio books.Love the identical expressions on A and B on earlier post! Love, Mom

Drew said...

I'm so glad you're finding time to read! I enjoy reading more than ever these days too, though I admittedly have a lot more free time than you do (like, at least three times as much, or rather, exponentially more). Looks like you have a lot of great selections. Tess and Jude are on my short list this year too as I'm reading through all of Thomas Hardy's books. Are you on Goodreads?? You should be! I would love to keep up with what you're reading and even some reviews of yours, if you have time to jot down a few thoughts when you're done.

Oh, those kids! I can't wait to see them again!!! XD

Luci said...

Daddy Long Legs is one of my favorites! :)

Susan said...

Those all are great books. Good for you, multi-tasking your recreation as well as the rest of your life!!!

melody said...

That's a good-looking queue! Some of those are on mine as well. My advice: always read Thomas Hardy books in the summer. They are too depressing to read in wintertime - especially Jude! (But DO read them.)

I agree with you on the audio books. I really look forward to my run when I am in the middle of a good book. Thanks for reminder that I need to upload a new one! I am thinking Dickens...

Corinne said...

Audiobooks in the car are the BEST, they make time go by so fast! I especially like the ones with a British reader ;)

Tracie Frost said...

Goose Girl, The Hobbit, and Tess (for obvious reasons . . . ) three of my favorite books!