Thursday, November 01, 2012

Some Very Happy Toddlers

Halloween must top every other day to a kid. It might be even better than Christmas in their eyes. We had a fun-filled day, that all led up the grand finale. Here’s our Halloween low-down.

We started off by letting them put on their costumes first thing in the morning. They were beyond thrilled, and couldn’t get those clothes on fast enough (you’ll notice Alex’s pants are on backwards). They even, by themselves, lined up for a picture! Can I tell you what a development this is?! Seriously, they have never done such a thing voluntarily. Love the bed-head. And love that we got away with pajama costumes for another year. Grandma Robinson is to thank for those, thought I don’t think she realized how easy she was making my costume decision when she bought them. 086090093095096102

The morning was filled with coloring Halloween pictures, and watching Halloween episodes of their favorite shows. Then it was off to Costco and Wegman’s for some regular errands. But aren’t those (sometimes) more fun with happy kids in costumes? 307Bennett, also known as Sticker-Face.312What? All sitting peacefully at a table together?! Only for a few minutes, but I’ll take it!314319

The vending machine buttons kept them plenty occupied while I finished eating.322

Yes, I sanitized both of those cars before we sat in them. I keep my own wipes handy at all times.326

After a nap (I got one too, of course), I broke out the chocolate skeleton pieces I made with a mold KC’s mom sent in a little package for the kids. The chocolate got a little scuffed up in the bag I put the pieces in, but I think it adds to the creepy effect. We put the pieces together like a puzzle. All, except Bennett, did very well not eating the pieces until they were done with the project. Mr. B ate them as he went. But soon enough all the pieces were wiped out anyway. As long as they had fun, right? Oh, and in case you’re wondering why they are out of costume, I had to do a mid-day wash, to get them nice and clean for the big night. One person might have been a little distracted by all the fun to make it to the potty in time. Plus regular toddler messes. Alex insisted on wearing his rash guard. Why not?115131118124

We got dressed up again, and the excitement was even more than when we put them on in the morning. Love when these kids are so easy to please! Then we just had to wait for KC to get home, and we’d hit the streets. Grandma Robinson can also be thanked for those awesome hats. They definitely completed the costumes. They kids love them.142144145147150154More voluntary posing! Are these really my kids?!160169184187188201

It was a beautiful night. Especially considering the weather we’ve had this past week. They were non-stop chatterboxes as we made our way through the neighborhood. KC and I were cracking up the whole night. This was definitely the first year that this activity really clicked with them, and they have really been looking forward to it. They were the perfect trick-or-treaters, commenting on the awesome decorations (“Wow! Ah-right! Look at the beautiful lights! Cool Ghosties! Pumpkin patch!”), saying “Trick-or-treat!” with much enthusiasm, and never leaving a door step without saying “Tank you so much!” about three times each, sometimes even giving a thank you specific to the treat given (A sucker! Yay! Tank you!, Fruit snacks! Tank you!, Alex looking at a peanut butter cup, “ooooOOOOooo, tank you!”) and wishing everyone on our path a “HAPPY HALLOWEEN!” And  my polite little ones needed little reminder to only take as many as they were told they could if given the option (something I can’t say for some of the little greedies we had at out house). I was even surprised to see that they didn’t even ask to eat one piece of candy until we were done. We were out a little longer than anticipated, but they they just kept on going. They were definitely getting worn out when we were finishing up, as was I, but protested going home as they started recognizing the houses on our street. 210227230234243245251

But as soon as they got inside, they realized the fun was just beginning. So began the candy binge. It was making me a little queasy just looking at all the sugar they were consuming. Bless the sweet lady down the street who gave coloring books and crayons! Alex was very happy about that. We’d sneak handfuls away, until there were only a few pieces in each bucket left. We tried to feed them a little dinner of pizza, carrots and clementines, but only Ruby participated. At least I tried. We finally got them into bed around 8:30 or 9 after a thorough teeth-brushing, and KC and I crashed as we appropriately watched a couple episodes of The Walking Dead. Glad it was after we wandered around the dark streets.

It’s moments like this that make this parenting thing feel real. Like it was something I always pictured doing with my kids, and it actually really happened.  It’s just so great to see the happiness and discovery in their faces. I may have been completely exhausted, and they may have eaten their weight in candy, and we may have let them sleep with their pumpkin buckets (with all choking hazards/edible trinkets removed, of course), but it was a night I won’t forget. These darling kids make life just so, so great.254258261269277264

Now, what EVER will we do with this triple-load of candy…?273

6 comments:

Marianne said...

So fun! Even though it was Graham's second Halloween, he still isn't quite old enough to grasp the idea of it. I was thankful, because last nights temp was about 30 degrees! I am however, looking forward to the next Halloween and Christmas where the magic of the holidays will make sense to him! Finally!

Janice said...

Thanks for sharing the fun! So glad you had good weather and love the posing for pictures! They are all darlings.
Love you all.

Sarah said...

Looks like a very fun day. If you think Halloween is fun - just wait until Christmas! This year they will really get it and it will be the most magical sweet day!

Unknown said...

how cute . . . well I remember taking you twins around when you were little raggedy anns.

melody said...

I love the Skeletons. Looks like they DID have the best day ever.

Karlene said...

Oh these made me miss the days when we took them trick-or-treating! What a fun day!