Friday, November 09, 2012

They call it playing at the park, I call it wearing them out for naptime.

It seems these kids are liking naptime less and less as we are inside more with the cold weather upon us. But mommy here still needs a nap most days (remember how I wake up to work-out at 5 every day?), or at least a little bit of peace and quiet to regroup. And although they are content to just stay in their cribs for a few hours, and do eventually fall asleep around 2:30ish (making it so I have to wake them up before 5 if I want bedtime at a decent hour), it’s pretty frustrating as I replace blankets, pillows, clothes, and other messes they make while they act like crazies as I plead with them to just SLEEP ALREADY! I know it’s only a matter of time until these amazing 3 hour afternoon naps are behind us, and sometimes we do skip them if we want an early bedtime, but right now these kids still need a consistent afternoon nap. They are not so pleasant to be around without one, and neither am I. During the winter, I’m going to have to come up with some work-out routine for them to burn some energy indoors. But until then, if the weather permits, you can bet we’ll be bundling up and heading outside. 417

Today it was about 50, and it was a perfect fall day to play at the park. Amazingly we still have a lot of leaves on the trees and the ground after the storm. The kids found the jackpot behind the little town hall in the same parking lot as the park. We ran into our caretaker friend, who is always thrilled to see the “Three Mudskateers”. He even wanted to take a picture of them in front of the town hall sign, and brought us inside to meet some of the staff. Funny guy.  The kids really just wanted to run around doing anything but play at the playgroup, and as long as they were out of harm’s way, I was happy to follow them anywhere their little legs carried them. We even went on a mini-hike on a trail behind the park. While we were trudging up that hill, all I kept thinking about was how worn out they’ll be when we get home. Is that bad?I also liked that they were having fun.

Please forgive my grainy Ipod pictures. 436440452439458466469472476480484486

I haven’t heard a peep since I put them in their beds a few minutes ago. Mission accomplished. Of course on a day I get them all primed for a nap, I don’t get one. And boy would I like one with this cold I have. But I have an appointment (just a trim at the salon) to get to while they slumber away. I wanted them to be extra tired as to not harass Elise while I’m out.  Oh well, a change is as good as a rest, eh?

2 comments:

Cami said...

I HATE the transition from nap to no nap. NO fun. Luckily, that usually means preschool is near, and then you can nap during that. (Except here I am NOT napping.) I also love wearing people out for nappy time. Make those kids run laps!

Matt said...

Live those coats on the boys. So great.