Sunday, April 14, 2013

“ Where are we going NEXT?” (Part One)

We took our first road trip to Utah since moving to Colorado, and we must have gone many new and exciting places because every time we got in the car the kids asked where were were going next. We all had a great time, and I have just got to say that I am SOLD on road tripping! The stress level for this trip was a fraction of what it has been in the past when we have flown. Not to mention a fraction of the cost! We’ve taken the kids on a plane several times, and the only time that we had to pay for them was a one-way trip for the move. I’m so grateful we don’t have to consider paying thousands of dollars to take them to Utah, but instead just pile in the car with whatever we feel like bringing and drive a quick eight hours. Just one more reason I’m happy to be here.

We started planning a trip to Utah as soon as we moved. We haven’t seen a lot of our family for a  while, including our new nephew baby Marco, and the kids hadn’t been there in a couple years. When playing around with dates, my sister mentioned we should try to come during their spring break. So, that’s what we planned on, and it turned out it was also the weekend of Easter. Perfect! It was a busy couple weeks leading up to the drive, having just gotten back from MD, but things fell into place. The kids were excited about this trip to Utah that we kept telling them about, even though they had no idea what that actually meant.

We decided to leave Friday afternoon for some night driving, with the hopes that the kids would sleep through a lot of it.  I put the kids in comfy pjs,  let them put whatever they wanted in their backpacks, and pulled out some new blankets I’d been saving for when they were bigger, like now. They were made by my dear friend Marianne and given to me at my shower. You should have seen the excitement on their faces when they got their new snuggly blankets, Mari! they didn’t want to put those things down! We loaded up the car and hit the road around 3. It’s great that as the kids get older, we don’t need nearly as much gear. We had plenty of room to move around the van. Ruby asked a few minutes in to the drive, “Are we there yet?” And we just had to remind her that Utah is a long drive away, so that was the only time any of them asked.  We actually booked a flight out of SLC for KC so he wouldn’t miss any work, and the kids and I could stay longer. So we dropped off his car at the airport parking so he’d have a ride home on Monday morning, and then were on our way. 690701709

We soon found ourselves in the beautiful mountains, and watched the temperature drop as the elevation rose (and felt our ears needing to pop). The drive really was something to be seen. KC would make sure that anytime I was looking at my phone or whatever, I didn’t  miss anything pretty or interesting. How nice of him. He was a wealth of information as we drove. Who knew there was so much to learn about the that route. The kids took turns taking catnaps, and we had a good quiet couple hours to enjoy the first part of the drive.743727729681704705706710731

We made one side of the road potty stop a few hours in, then read some books, and enjoyed the scenery. The kids really didn’t need much entertaining, and we didn’t have to pull out the dvds for a while. I did have some treats handy if needed. I bought licorice rope impulsively as I was heading out of the store the day before, and I think it was inspired. It took them a long time to eat, and kept them entertained. Alex also realized he could string his cheerios on it for a fun activity. I’m embarrassed I wasn’t the one to think of it. I even got into the cereal necklace fun. After one more gas station pit stop, including a car wash (the car got pretty gross up in the slushy mountains, and the kids liked it)  we were able to make it through the final hours without interruption. We didn't even have to stop for food, since I’d packed us some handy road-trip sandwiches. And how did I get so lucky to have a child that asks for carrots, peppers and apples multiple times a day? I wish Ruby’s naturally good eating habits would rub off on other people. Anyway, just as we’d hoped, the kids were all snoring soon after it got dark. The poor things were nodding their heads like crazy as they tried to sleep in their car seats, but they made it work. I’m surprised at how quickly the time flew by. I don’t remember ever feeling like the time was dragging, or that the kids were getting too antsy. A real blessing. I was just so happy to be on a fun trip with my family.721703744724738723737758756760761770748764765777

We made it to Melody’s around midnight, and as hard as we tried to keep the kids asleep, they woke up and realized that we had made it to Utah, and were so excited. We found our beds all set up in Melody’s beautiful and comfortable guest quarters, and that was enough to make the kids excited to get in bed. despite their excitement, they fell asleep immediately. Such a strange feeling to be in Utah without all the falderal of flying. We woke up the next day so excited to see cousins! Then the fun began. Here is a a quick low-down of the haps:

I got to run with Melody! she been running for more than a decade longer than me, so it was fun to finally be together when we both like to run. So much more fun with an awesome running buddy.095780

Even though the kids hadn’t seen each other in a couple years, they all became fast friends. Ruby was in heaven with someone to help her get all decked out in dress-ups. And I think Julia liked helping her as well. They loved having a new place to destroy… I mean, explore. The kids didn’t even want to leave each other’s sight for bath time.089091784101102122124788

Since it was the Saturday before Easter, some egg-dyeing was I order. We were brave enough to try it inside this year, and it was a success. Still a bit chaotic, but fun all the same.103 - Copy115 - Copy116117

I was so happy to be there for Julie’s baby shower! My brother Drew and his wife Julie have been waiting for the arrival of this little one for a long time, and I am so happy for them! My mom and us sisters organized a tea party and it turned out great. Melody and I did the cucumber and onion tea sandwiches. It was also nice to see some friends and relatives without having to make formal arrangements. Including Britney and her new baby Graham! It was a fun party. KC took the kids to his Mom’s where they had more Easter egg fun. Lucky kids!Wax Museum, Easter 058Wax Museum, Easter 055Wax Museum, Easter 060Wax Museum, Easter 063Wax Museum, Easter 074Wax Museum, Easter 077Wax Museum, Easter 084Wax Museum, Easter 088128

That night Melody and I did our Easter Bunny magic, and the dads were mad that we wanted to take pictures for fear that the kids would see. I don’t think they will. And I hope they always think the Easter Bunny only puts two jelly beans in each plastic egg. 793

Then it was morning time and the festivities commenced! So fun to see all these baskets together. We haven’t spent many holidays with family these past years living in MD. 829

There was much excitement.832137144145841

Then the kids got to find the eggs they decorated that the Easter Bunny hid the night before. It was darling to see such enthusiasm from all the kids. This is a fun age for Easter. 154846856859862

After all the morning fun, we spruced up for church, and decided to join my mom and dad for their 10:00 meeting. The kids were thrilled to see them and go through Nana’s purse for entertainment. I loved seeing old friends. And of course the weather was absolutely perfect. Isn’t is always on Easter Sunday? Oh, and this is as good as it got as far as pre-church pictures. I wasn’t in the mood to try. 158159165873

After that we made the drive to Provo to see Grandma and Grandpa Robinson, and I finally got to meet Baby Marco! The kids love going there and playing with all the fun things they have. Especially the matryoshka dolls and fun crafts Grandma has for them to do. 874877875879

 

After we touched base at Melody’s and finished the desserts that Melody and we were working on, we went to Cami’s where the fam was gathering for a big Easter egg hunt and dinner. Such a crazy, fun time with that big group. The kids have so much fun with their cousins, and I love that they will get to know all of those sweet kids better.167Wax Museum, Easter 190169173174176Wax Museum, Easter 204Wax Museum, Easter 205Wax Museum, Easter 206Wax Museum, Easter 207186Wax Museum, Easter 218Wax Museum, Easter 221Wax Museum, Easter 224193197

We taught the kids about how much we love Jesus, and that we celebrate him on this day, as well as everyday, and I think this year, a little of that conversation stuck. I can’t wait to teach them more about their loving Savior as they are able to understand it.

Alright, this post is already long, and I’m only halfway through, so I’m making it into two parts. I’ll be back soon!

No comments: