Monday, August 12, 2013

3 Days turned into 3 Weeks: Bear Lake

The reason why we went to Utah when we did was to make it to the annual Graham family Bear Lake camping trip! We weren’t in town for it last year, and wouldn’t have gone anyway with three two year olds, but I was feeling brave this year (I was back and forth for weeks on weather or not I was ready for camping with the kids yet) and felt like it was a good time to give it try. I mean, these kids had never even roasted a marshmallow or slept in a sleeping bag! I have been way too nervous for such activities until now.  Of course I wish KC there to be a part of the action, but we called him a lot throughout the weekend. I set low expectations, and decided one of the two nights would be our goal. Turns out the kids are awesome little campers, and we stayed the whole time with no regrets!

Amber and Brady joined us for the 2 hour 45 minute drive. We soon realized all the bribery-type treats were in another car! So not like me to not have any secret weapons on hand! Luckily the dvd players did the trick. The drive sped by with Amber to chat with. 619_thumb

Mom and Dad in the Sonic drive-thru.621_thumb

First view of the lake!622_thumb

We loved out site, set apart from all the other campers. And with electric and water hook-ups!624_thumb

The T@B made a great little clubhouse for the kids. 028

The campsite pool was the first stop.036042

The teenage nieces and nephews, and uncles win the prize here! It was so great having them help out.043049055

Luckily everyone did tastes-tests for all the best food and shakes the year before, so we knew just where to eat. They were correct. The food was delicious629_thumb631_thumb

Too much ice cream for my little family, but I couldn’t resist. Oreo, and Bear Lake Raspberry, of course.634_thumb636_thumb

So much running around and playing! Strangers joined in this time.637

Ethan is the kid-whisperer. He always had something fun for the kids to do or look at. 641_thumb

I think what I was worried about the most was the kids not going to sleep. I was wrong. I planned on getting them sleeping bags for their birthday, but got them early for this trip. They couldn’t wait to climb into those, and their exhausted little bodies did the rest.644_thumb065067

The adult-only time didn’t last long. We were tired too!059

Such a cute view to wake up to.649_thumb

Ruby loves her cousin Jane.071

The early bird got cold wandering around before people woke up.074

Love a bunch of well-rested kids!077080079081

Dance party! Another one of  Ethan’s genius ideas.083

We got ready and headed out for a day at the beach!085

We practically had the whole place to ourselves for a while.089091

Always obsessed with number and letters. 094100

The Kayak was probably my kids’ favorite part. They loved taking rides on that thing. 103104111

Lake football!105

Bennett is a true beach bum.107

The kids played for hours without asking anything of me. Cousins, water, and sand are a good combination.118122123

125

I never turn down a towel snuggle.121

Good idea mom…127

until this happened.129136140

143144145

Ruby couldn’t WAIT to get on the banana boat. The boys were not interested in the least. 159

We went slow for the little one, and everyone was enjoying themselves alright. 164169175187190Then we started going fast for the older group, and things got a bit crazy. They didn’t even want to get on the boat really, but I made them. Mom of the year. 183194192

My thrill-seeker.185188211

We didn’t have waterproof camera to document it, but we also rented a water tramp! It was awesome. Ruby loved “pushing” people over the edge, and even slid down herself a few times! It loved being little kids with my sibling again. 665_thumb671673676

Jordan does love a snuggly baby.681682683

Also not pictured is when my van got stuck in the sand on the way to the bathrooms. I left the kids in the car and ran like the dickens to get Dad and Matt o help me. Phew. I was wondering if anyone would do that. Embarrassing that it was me.

It’s like a 20 minute drive from the lake to the campsite. The kids fells asleep right as we drove off, and stayed that way until I woke them up a long while later. I just parked next to our tent, opened the doors, and let them slumber away.685So much sand!257

Mom and Dad helped me shower the kiddos. They were freaking out for some reason. Highly annoying! 261263265256

We took the free tractor ride a couple times. The kids loved that. 686690

Next to the playground there was an inflatable tramp thing. You had to pay to jump on it, but about 30 minutes after we got there it was going to be free for the rest of the night. We told the kids to wait, and they were already jumping, so they cried and cried. It was very annoying and frustrating. When they did finally go on, they cried more because there were too many people or they didn’t understand the rules to the game. I had had it. I needed to take a walk, and I wanted to pop the stupid thing. 691693Amber took a turn with Bennett when I needed a little break from him.

689

Mom prepared all the kids’ hot dogs for when we came back from the park.695

The first mallow-roasting! They are fans!700705708709722

Campfires are one of my most favorite things. 727729

After a good night’s sleep, we leisurely ate, packed up and made our way back home. The kids slept the entire way. A lovely ending to a great weekend. 731732734

I absolutely loved spending this time with my family. It was such a beautiful place, and I feel like the kids really enjoyed spending  quality time with their cousins. I hope there are many more trip like this with the fam in our future.

Now that I know my kids are such good little campers, it’s opened so many doors for adventures we can have now! We are so looking forward to exploring what Colorado has to offer. We already have a camping trip planned before it get too cold. It’s crazy that we can participate in such things now that the kids are getting older. I guess they really do grow up, just like everyone says!

This is just scratching the surface. More soon!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you had so much fun! It's such a great thing when having multiples and they start getting older and you realize hey I can handle doing this with them! And then with me I was like things are getting easier do I really want to have another one and start over. I mean I figured it would only be one but still you have to go through all the stages again. But I don't regret it at all! Having multiples has its challenges but I wouldn't change it for a anything! It's so fun to watch them play and their different personalities grow! And those three are so adorable! Here's to many more camp trips and memories and being able to see family more since your so close! Don't forget I'm in wyoming so you can always use me as a pit stop it needed or just for fun! :)

Kassi said...

It looks like you had so much fun. I love the updates and keeping in contact with you through blog land. You are so wonderful at documenting! Thanks!