Sunday, August 11, 2013

3 Days turned into 3 Weeks: Week 1

It started out as a plan to go to Utah for a few days in August, mostly to be there for my 10 year high school reunion, but also because we were due for a visit. When KC’s family said they were all gathering there around then, and my family was having their annual Bear Lake reunion, I knew we needed more than a long weekend  to see all the babies, make it to all the events, and to just enjoy ourselves without rushing around like crazy people. But KC had a business trip in the middle of it all, making it a little hard to do any driving back and forth for him. My parents were so, so kind to offer to make the trip all the way to Colorado, ride back with me a couple days later, and leave their car for KC to drive over when he was ready. After I made absolutely sure they were alright with this, I took them up on it! I’m a lucky girl. We quickly packed up for a fun-filled few weeks, and headed out on July 14th. It was a great trip. Ventures like this just keep getting better as the kids become older. I love that we can just go play at a cousin’s house, and the kids just, you know, play! Or when we can actually enjoy instead of tolerate outings to places like the canyon or the waterpark. There are still plenty of moments of chaos and exhaustion, don’t get me wrong. I think every single day we were there was absolutely packed from sun up to sun down. But when you don’t have naps to work around, and when you don’t need tons of people to help hold or corral kids, and when you don’t need as much gear, etc., it just makes for a much more normal and enjoyable experience. Of course not having daddy around for 2 1/2 weeks wasn’t the greatest, but people were there to step in to help when my nerves were shot, or I just needed a hand. Mom and Dad were just awesome. I stayed with them this time to be more central to everything, and they were so wonderful to help me anytime I needed it. So yes, we had a great time. But, when there was so much fun, and so many pictures to document it, I get overwhelmed with the thoughts of a detailed blog post. So here I am exactly a week after returning, finally getting up the energy to do it. But I do want it down before big and VERY exciting things happen for us in the next few days! I’ll break it up in weeks to make it easier on myself.

Mom and dad finally arrived after the long drive, plus  a couple extra hours of bad traffic. We got the kids in bed, and Ruby couldn’t stand that we were having fun without her. So she joined us for ice cream. Don’t tell the boys! Once in a while we can bend the rules a little, I suppose.581579

Smartie hunts are a traditions when Nana comes to visit. 583

On the road! I felt incredibly nauseous at the beginning. Car sickness has never in my life been an issue, so I’m not sure what it was. Bbut mom was awesome to take the back seat for a couple hours while that I got settled. Soon all was well and we all sat back and enjoyed while Dad took the wheel. Phew.586590592

The last hour or two we adults were doing a lot of ear plugging as the kids got louder and loopier. But we made it! And with only one potty break! Not bad with three toddlers in tow, if you ask me.595

Since we were going to be there for a while, we didn’t make any immediate plans, but people gathered anyway! And with dinner! Lots of siblings came with their kiddos to welcome us, and it was so fun. I got to hold TWO new babies! Nora was still so tiny, only a couple of weeks old, and Charlie was so darling, just as I pictured. The kids were so happy to play with cousins, especially after the long drive. 596597

Ruby thought my little dresses were dress-ups. 598

Ruby wanted to get into the hot tub immediately upon arrival. The next morning at 7 am she got her wish. 599

They kids always have a couple days of craziness when we travel before they get settled. They were naughty and it was annoying, to say the least. Mom thought of an interesting way to keep them entertained. Everyday after that they asked to go outside and trace our bodies. The driveway always looked like some kind of crime scene.005

We went to visit with Grandmother. It’s great watching the kids have so much fun with the exact toys I played with when I was little. 009010011

Hanging in the front yard.012601

We took a walk up the street to a park to meet one of my best friends, Sarah! It was great to catch up, and see her kids. Such a cute red-headed family. 602603

KC’s mom invited us up the canyon for a delicious dinner. It was the most beautiful day, and the kids had a great time playing with Michelle's dog Mac, and splashing the in the lovely stream. I loved seeing baby Marco again! Such an adorable little nephew. I brought some s’more brownies I’d been wanting to make. Seemed like a fitting occasion.605606

These kids and their love of creepy crawlies. I guess I did that at their age too, but still, it grosses me out. Ruby was dying to hold this huge snail on a walk one day.607

They love playing at Grandma’s house. Ruby asks for that hat the second she walks in the door.611

Finally getting tuckered out after a few days of constant fun. This time it was playing in Julia and Gabe’s back yard.614613

Remember those s’more brownies? Well, I was tired of eating them, so I turned them into an ice cream (yes, I packed my ice cream maker in the car). Turns out it was a very good idea. This was the first of many ice cream flavors my dad and I made. 609

My kids LOVE to hold babies. Luckily there were a lot to hold. Funny how the tables have turned!610

Mom had to practice the organ at the church one day, so we joined her and the kids just played in the nursery. They thought it was pretty cool having it all to themselves. 616615

This is only scratching the surface. More to come!

No comments: