Monday, June 22, 2009

It may be a while before I take a trip like this again.

I just don't see it in the near future, what with three infants in tow. So I am very glad I was able to take this one and enjoy it as much as I could. I had a wonderful time with both families. KC was only there for part of this endeavor. And, of course, in true vacation post fashion, I'll give you a bulleted post describing each day to make it easier on me. It started with KC and me flying from Baltimore to Denver, Colorado.


Friday 6/5 (The Robinson cabin adventures begin.)

  • We caught an evening flight, around 5:30. I tell you, flying is quite different when you're pregnant.
  • We arrived to find Nicole waiting at our terminal. We didn't expect a welcome party. We had dinner together in the airport and later found Camille, our Luggage, and then our rental car and made our way to the cabin that KC's parents had rented in the mountains. (It was WAY past my bedtime, and we were driving some pretty curvy canyon roads in the dark of night, but I made it. Phew!)
  • We settled in and had a nice night of sleep. KC and I lucked out with our own room.
Saturday 6/6

  • We began the beautiful day by looking around the Stanley Hotel, where the view of the valley was great. We also saw the Stanley Steamer museum where we learned a little bit about old steam powered cars.
  • We packed a cooler and drove through the mountains to the shuttle that took us to Bear Lake, where we walked until we found a nice place on some rocks to sit and have lunch. I even had a little shut-eye there.
  • While the others hiked another trail, my tired self, and a few others went to see the visitors center. We heard it was covered in snow, and since I was only equipped with flip flops, knowing that anything requiring more than that would be too tiring for me, I was glad I opted out.
  • While the others took a tram up the mountain, I wasn't feeling quite up to it, so KC and I got some Mexican food, and met up with everyone after.
  • We had a nice dinner of grilled pork tenderloin, and watched The Muppet Movie and had a good laugh.

Sunday 6/7




  • The weather was insane. It started to rain and hail so bad you could hardly see the cars in front of you. We got a call from the other car in our party to look at the funnel cloud to our right. Sure enough, it was less than a mile from us. Not a tornado, but the closest I've ever come to anything like one. Pretty fascinating. We heard there were several real tornadoes in the area. I'm glad we didn't cross any of those.
  • We made it to KC's Aunt Carolyn's house safe and sound, where more relatives joined us, including Grandpa Carlson, and we got to have a little belated birthday celebration with him.
  • We ate a great dinner, took some family pictures, and played some Boggle, said goodbye to Camille who had to fly out already, and made our way back to the cabin, almost 2 hours away.
  • We found Nacho Libre on TV and laughed pretty hard, and then I fell right to sleep.

Monday 6/8 (Colorado Adventures end, Utah time begins.)



  • KC and I finally went on the tram up the mountain, and enjoyed the gorgeous view, and feeding the friendly chipmunks.
  • Drove yet again toward Denver, but this time ended up at Grandpa's house. We had lunch with relatives, looked at old pictures of the fam, and made our way to the airport.
  • KC was heading back to MD and eventually to Orlando for business, and Cisco, my bro-in-law and I were going to Utah. Our terminals were right next to each other, and our flights were scheduled to take off and land at the same time, yet we were on different airlines, and his was delayed, poor guy.
  • It was a short flight, but the turbulence was never-ending, it seemed like. I was quite relieved to get off that plane.
  • My mom and Dad picked me up and were amazed at the size of my protruding belly. There was quite an amount of construction and traffic, taking us longer to get to Melody's, than the length of my flight.
  • Melody had dinner ready, and I got to see the little ones! Julia had grown like a weed, and the baby Gabriel was more darling than I could've imagined.
  • Matt, Cortnie, Jack, Drew, Julie (who I met for the first time!) Lili, and Jeff also made an appearance. It was so nice to see all these faces. They were kind of shewed, however, at about 9:00 so I could get right to sleep. I'm pretty strict about my 9:30 bet time. Luckily Melody, and Jonny didn't have a problem with that (or maybe they were too nice to admit they didn't).


Tuesday 6/9
  • I was up for a while before anyone else, but when Julia woke up, she came to cuddle in my bed for a while. She did that most of the mornings I was there. I wish she would come here and do that every day.
  • We went to Amber's where we also saw Cami and all their kids. I had to run to a haircut appointment with Amber's neighbor, and then returned to the fam.
  • We went to lunch at Zuppa's, which is very good, and hung at Amber's some more.
  • We went back to Melody's (my usual home for my visits to Utah) and she made a delicious dinner. We watched something or other, and went off to bed again. It doesn't take much to exhaust a person in my state. Sounds like an exciting trip, doesn't it? Well it was.

Wednesday 6/10




  • Like I said in my previous post, I found out about my grandpa's passing while in Colorado, so the funeral was scheduled for today.
  • We started our drive to Logan, and were again driving through rain. Seems like a reoccurring theme during my whole trip.
  • We made it in time for the family viewing, where I was able to see my grandpa for the last time, and many faces of cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. that I hadn't seen for ages.
  • We went to Grandma's house for a little lunch (that I desperately needed) before the actual program began. And I am so glad we did because I wouldn't have gone to the house otherwise, and I just love being there.
  • The funeral was quite memorable. Julia was entertaining us quite a bit with her little dances in the isle and on the front pew. Grandpa loved to see her dance, so Melody let her, and I'm so glad. At one point she spotted me and started saying quite loudly "Mimi! Mimi! Mimi!" I had some silent chuckles over that. I am just so happy that she recognizes me even though we only see each other every 6 months or so.
  • We all went to the burial sight, where Taps was played and grandma was presented with the flag that covered his casket. One the back of the program was the charming statement, "The casket was selected personally by the occupant who did not believe in burying and expensive box in the ground." That's my grandpa for ya. Always good for a laugh.
  • We all gathered again for a delicious luncheon lovingly prepared by the relief society. It was so fun to sit and chat with everyone about our memories of this great man.

Thursday 6/11


  • We got a visit from Bree, Reese and Lindsey, cousins who wouldn't be able to make it to the baby shower my sisters planned for Saturday. They brought the cutest gifts, and we had a great time catching up.
  • Cami and Amber also dropped by while their kids were at some day camp.
  • We went to see Matt and Cortnie's new and amazing home. I loved it! You'd have to be millionaire in Maryland to live in such a nice place. Yet, another reason to move.
  • Not sure much else happened except the usual laughs from Juju. She certainly can entertain an auntie. I could kiss her all day and never get tired of that perfect face. Gabe was also making some priceless faces of his own, and I just loved his little one month old floppiness.

Friday 6/12


  • We decided to go out for a little necessary/unnecessary shopping. I was much too successful, and spent too much, but isn't that what vacation is for?
  • We adults tried to rest, while Julia kept us entertained talking through her entire nap. Well, I was entertained. I don't know if mommy was.
  • We "painted" with water on the back porch, during which we were laughing to tears at Julia's wit. She's loved taking bites from both of our apples, and trying to also paint my arms and legs. We also had some tramp time with is hilarious because Julia's mane gets even wilder.
  • Jonny brought home some Chinese food. While we were eating, Julia came in to grace us with poop coming out of her diaper onto the floor. I couldn't stop laughing, but those who were still eating, weren't as amused.
  • I think we watched a little Alfred Hitchcock Presents, which I love.

Saturday 6/13


  • We couldn't let a trip go by without Kneaders french toast for breakfast. Mom and dad came back from logan the night before and had Grandma with them, so they, along with Matt, etc, Lili and Jeff all joined us. It was nice to eat two giant pieces of that dense breakfast guilt-free.
  • We went to my mom's house and tried to rest before the baby shower. Mom decorated for cute with her and my old baby blankets. She set up a cute little table with small dishes and Julia loved making people sit and play with her. She would even "Toast" and she clinked her cup with her guest's. And I may have taught her to fake burp, and love when she does it. I seriously can't stop laughing when she does it. I guess you had to be there.
  • The shower my sisters planned what so great. I saw so many great friends, and more family. I am still overwhelmed at everyone's generosity and kindness for thinking of us. We are finally starting to feel a little like there will be some babies around here soon with the gear starting to pile up. It was kind of surreal as I would look around thinking that everyone was actually there because I was having some babies. It really is still setting in. If it's possible, I'm even more excited now.
  • I slept at my mom's house that night since we were all going to gather again on Sunday. I was little bit of a brat, as can sometimes happen when I'm extremely tired, and I want to go to bed hours before anyone else, and on top of that I forgot my unisom. But with dad to the rescue and Walmart a mile away, I took that pill and was asleep in no time. Sorry to the unfortunate people who had to witness my nighttime antics.

Sunday 6/14



  • Dad made me a delicious grits breakfast like old times, which I loved.
  • I wasn't planning on church, but with Mom, Dad and Grandma all going, I thought I'd be quite bored home alone. We went only to Sacrament, and it was great to see some friendly faces. This was my old ward after all.
  • We watched "Once" which my parents hadn't seen yet and loved. I loved it the second time just as much.
  • The fam came over for a big lasagna dinner. It's always so fun, even if it is a little hectic, when we all get together.
  • I went back with the Rejholecs.

Monday 6/15


  • With not many plans we thought we'd make some calls to see what everyone was up to. Cami suggested we go to Thanksgiving Point since she has a pass and could get us all in half price. Mom, Grandma, Corntie, Jack, and Jillian all joined us. It was a gorgeous day, and we loved walking in the beautiful gardens. The kids loved following the map.
  • We headed home for Julia's nap time. She probably didn't have a proper one again.
  • We decided a dinner out was in order, so we Met Jonny at the Olive Garden. Julia is quite hilarious when she eat/licks her lettuce leaves. Gabe slept like a sweetheart the whole time. Such a great baby.
  • I hate packing when the trip is over, but it had to be done. I was not happy camper.

Tuesday 6/16

  • I tried to relish in my last moments with Julia for who knows how long. I know I'll see a lot of family in the coming months, bu Juju my love isn't likely to be one of them. It was hard to not break out in tears this whole morning. But of course, Melody and I couldn't hold them back as we said our goodbyes at the park-and-ride where my parents picked me up to take me to the airport.
  • I got on my flight safe and sound. I know I'll see mom and dad in a few months, so it wasn't so bad so say goodbye to them.
  • It was a long day of traveling. First to St. Louis, then a 2.5 hour layover, then to Baltimore. I bought a mini dvd player in Utah to keep me occupied, and it really helped. Like I said, flying is not my friend at this point. Although, I tired not to let what was left of my morning sickness get in the way of this trip. With my constant supply of Zofran, I was able to leave with only good memories.
  • KC was a ray of sunshine at the baggage claim after that long and sad day. I missed him SOOOOOO much. He couldn't believe how my belly had changed in just a week. The most noticeable difference is my belly button rapidly disappearing. Weird.
  • We looked at pictures, and videos while I narrated my favorite parts of the trip to him.
  • I'm pretty sure I slept quite well from my long and exhausting day. Back to life, back to reality.

So, there are of course more pictures to show, along with some of my favorite videos. I'm going to miss being with Melody all day. We have a dream to live by each other one day. That day will not come soon enough. I'll miss Gabe's newborn smiles, and his little voice he's discovering. I'll miss Julia's kissed, even the wet, slopping, right on the lips ones. I'll miss her calling out for "Mimi" when she wanted me to play with her, or any of her little words and sentences for that matter.



This is Julia being a little monkey. I have about a dozen other videos I want to post, but it's being difficult. This one should tide you over until I upload the others.

5 comments:

Woods said...

Wow! Looks like a very busy but enjoyable trip. It was so good to see you! I just wish it could have been for WAY longer. I miss you already.

melody said...

Once again, a great recap of the trip. (You are always so good at that!) Julia loved looking at all the pictures on the post. After seeing the video, she immediately ran to fetch her computer.

We ALL miss you badly. It is pretty lonely around here. Can't wait to make a visit out there next!

Oh, Julia wants to send her regards:
hggffffffffggtgtfgtttfvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Sarah said...

I wish we could have seen each other, but I think we were only in the same place for a day - both of us were too busy. Sorry I missed your shower!

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a great time! I really wish that I would have been able to see you and come to your shower! Hope to see you next time.. even though it will be a while! :)

Kassi said...

You must be worn out from all that fun! I really enjoyed reading about your trip. It was fun to catch glimpses of you cute growing belly!