Monday, June 01, 2009

The latest

So I guess this blog is non-stop about the babies, but with my life and my body revolving around them, there isn't much else to blog about. But now that I'm starting to feel significantly better (I hesitate to say that because it always gets worse the day after I do), maybe I'll get out more and have more to say about the world around me, instead of just inside of me.

So, back to the little ones. They are certainly growing, and my belly is here to prove it. And so do the ultrasounds that show us how much they look like people these days. We had one on Thursday, and I was dying to find out just what kinds of babies we need to prepare for. Since I was almost 15 weeks at the time, and we read and heard from many people that it is possible to see at 14 weeks, we thought this would be the day. I asked the technician, and she was very blunt in telling us that she has NO way of seeing that yet and she needs at least another four weeks. I tried to stay polite, and told her that my nurse simply told me to ask this time, because it might be possible. And she basically said, sorry sister, that ain't happening. I think she was just lazy, and didn't feel like looking around. It kind of made me look stupid and naive, but I was only going by what the facts say. She was a different tech than we have had the past couple times. I liked the other one better. This one was little too, um, businesslike, for me. Luckily, the doctor was coming in next.

We have met two of the four doctors in the team, and I like them both. When he came in, I was still festering a little at not knowing what the genders were, and I told him that we were hoping to find out today. He promptly told us we'd take a look. He was so kind to just take his time, and let us see the babies plenty more than the tech did. He said he was even being entertained, making up captions for the little actions they were doing as he went along. He started with the singleton. That little one had enough room to do all kinds of flipping around, and with his educated eye, he concluded that we have a girl! Here she is!

It took a second, and then I realized what he said. A little playmate for me, and a daughter for KC to play his ukulele to. I shed a couple tears as he was looking at the others, just thinking about a little girl in our family. I can't wait to start collecting bows, dollies, and tutus.

Just how many bows dollies and tutus, we don't know yet. You see, the others were so snug, that there was no way they would budge to show us the details. We only had to see one of them to know both, but as much as they were moving about, they were covered up right where is counts. So maybe next time. Identical boys, or two more girls? Who knows. Either combo sounds great to us.

My body is changing at such a rapid rate that I'm amazed, even though this is my first and I don't know any different. I feel like people are now really starting to notice and it's apparent that I'm pregnant, and not just gaining weight. People at church stop me every week and ask about it. When they find out it's triplets, they either seem very excited, or immediately start praying for us. I understand now how the world is a little different with a big protrusion hanging off your body. We got a full dose of that reality last week when we went to get sushi. We walked into the restaurant, only to be greeted by the hosted in her sweet Japanese accent saying, "Wow, very pregnant!" I was only 14 weeks people. And I'm already getting stares. I just smiled and thought to myself, she has no idea just how pregnant I am going to get in the months to come. This should be interesting.

Also, I should make a couple things clear about the whole weight gain thing. I appreciate all the comments and reassurances, but I think what people don't realize is that we are probably only going to make it to 33-35 weeks, depriving us of those crucial last weeks when the babies seem to gain the most weight. That is why we can't rely on the fact that they'll gain the most at the end, and that is why early weight gain is key for a multiple pregnancy. When they get bigger, and need more food than they do now, my stomach will be tiny, and I won't be able to eat enough to provide all they need. So they won't be able to gain as much weight as possible unless I pack it on. I am trying to gain now, so they have a storage to grab from when I can't provide it from the food I am taking in. Does that make sense? It's a whole different ball game, this triplet thing. But we take it a day at a time, and I'm happy to say that things couldn't look better according to the doctor. It's always a relief to hear that. Hopefully it stays that way.

15 comments:

Lindsey Bench said...

What an adorable little baby girl!

Unknown said...

wahoo for litte girls!! You look fantasitc Em...you hardly look like you are packing on the pounds!

Sarah said...

You look great! Good luck, again, with the weight gain. I know it is hard at the beginning too - because you are so not interested in food.
I am so happy there is a little girl! Lydia will be happy to have a eastern playmate... unless you want to move here?!?

Jonathan and Janessa said...

Hooray for a girl! That's exciting and I'm glad your doctor let you see. I've heard girls are shy and don't let you see them on the ultrasound as readily as boys. Maggie did that to us and it took us two different ultrasounds to find out what she was...so my guess is two more girls :) Boys would be really exciting too though. I can't wait to find out. You look great and I hope you keep feeling better than you had been. And I love reading your baby updates!

Unknown said...

Isnt that what we all blogged about and mostly the only thing when we were pregnant. and then when you have them it will still be the only thing. They are your life now! I hope you stay feeling good! You look great! and I have a feeling the other two are boys! but we will see... I am excited to find out what they are too! oh how fun! Having Multiples is awesome. and the benefits of having an ultrasound everytime is so much fun and reasurring! ahhh so fun!

Amber said...

That is AWESOME! Girls are so sweet and great. You know boys are the best too so maybe you'll get both. But I'll tell you having both they are very different and very wonderful. Oh she is going to be beautiful! I can't wait. You look awesome keep those pounds a coming!

Drew said...

Babies on the way! I predict three girls. That's just how it's going to be, mark my words!

Cami said...

I still say you'll have an easy time gaining that weight! :) YAY for the girlie--it will be so fun, but I still hope you get some boys. You think you wouldn't know what to do with them, but you do. Still, nothing like a little princess. I sure love mine.

melody said...

Wow! What a great ultrasound shot. Can't wait to meet that little girl and the two others.

Kristy said...

A Girl!!! That is so exciting! I do wish ultrasound techs were a little nicer. Those are our babies we are looking at! gees.

OH Duh to me on the food thing! I was thinking "Ahhh Emily, what if you try too hard and end up gaining twice what you need". But then again, like I said earlier, I gained all mine the last two months and I didn't even register that you don't get that! Ah, I can't even imagine having to eat when I also wanted to throw up at just the smell of food. Good luck girl! You look really great! Don't think at all that you are posting to much on the pregnancy, we all love to hear it. Keep it comin

Kassi said...

How stinkin' exciting. I agree that tech was being difficult--hopefully you don't get them again. I am glad that doctor looked for you. I am excited for you too to buy hair bows and pink. You explained the need to gain weight early very nicely--I understood it. I love seeing the ultra sound pics. Thanks again for being willing to share about this fun and wonderful pregnancy!
p.s you are so small still--not "very pregnant" but I think they meant it as a compliment just the same.

Jessi said...

Wow! This is so amazing! I'm still so thrilled for you! I cannot wait to hear the genders of the other two. You look fab!

Michelle and Cisco said...

Pretty much every time i read your blog i get teary-eyed. People at work are probably starting to wonder. I am so excited for my first niece! I cant wait to find out what the twins are. You are beautiful pregnant by the way. Can't wait to see you guys this weekend!

Bethany @ The Paper Pony said...

I hope you don't mind me throwing my two cents in again, but amen to gaining as much as you can now... I truly believe that the high-protein Dr. Luke diet was the reason my twins came out as healthy as they did. Great job and good luck on the rest of this adventure!

Brinn said...

Hey Emily, I wondered onto your blog again looking for some more yummy recipes and found your awesome news! Congrats!