Thursday, June 25, 2009

Decisions, decisions.

What's been weighing on my mind lately:

  • What stroller to get. Whether to get one that costs about $200 that might be crappy, or one that costs $1,000, and hope that it's worth what we paid, and everything in between.
  • What car seats to get.
  • The layout of the nursery, and all that I want to buy for it not wanting it to be over-crowded, but very functional at the same time.
  • What van to get and how much we think we could get for my car (that I love and I am very sad to sell.)
  • The invaluable rocking chair that I'll spend hours upon hours in.
  • What to put on a registry (seriously, it's kinda hard to know.)
  • What extras to buy (bumbos, boppies, swings, bouncers, moses baskets, pack-n-plays, etc.) without having regrets that they just take up space after only being used for a few months.
  • How many thousands of dollars all of these things (plus hundreds of other things I haven't mentioned) will cost us.

Normal new parent questions and concerns, right? But that is just what's on my mind TODAY! Everyday something new creeps in and gets jotted down one place or another. And I feel like once I've decided on something and I can finally check it off, I have second thoughts and I'm back at square one. I've heard about a lot of things that have worked for people, or things they swear by, but we're trying to figure out just what we'll need for our unique situation. Who knows, maybe most decisions will have to wait until the babies are here and we can see just what specific needs need to be met. We still have time, but my excitement seems to be hindered by my feelings of unpreparedness, so we better get crackin'.

Bottom line is, these decisions big or small, mean babies are on the way, and that always makes me smile, and sometimes cry at the same time. Lately a song that has been coming into my head lately in "Beautiful Mess" by Diamond Rio (thank you Jonny for introducing me years ago.) And I bet that will be the theme of my life for years to come. I feel like I'm going crazy sometimes, but these babies already have me wrapped around all 30 of their little fingers. I wouldn't have it any other way.

11 comments:

Cami said...

Oh, that's a lot to think about X3. You'll figure it all out!

Sarah said...

Good luck with all of that. I have my opinions but I don't know if you want them. Let me know if you do. I am sure you are much more calm than I would be that's for sure! Get it done now before you start feeling totally uncomfortable. (Maybe you never will.)

Kristy said...

I was so bummed I missed your shower. I ate 5 day old Ceasar Dressing about an hour before. BIG MISTAKE. Anyway, email me your address. And which do you prefer. Target or Walmart, or where will you be doing most of your shopping?

Unknown said...

Um, I can definitely see why you are getting a wee bit stressed...I am sure you have things under control much more than you think you do!

It was so good to see you for a few minutes...you were absolutely glowing and as beautiful as ever. Sadly, I got the stomach flu the next day and was sick for a week. Talk about a lame vacation!

Anne said...

I'm not sure how I came across your blog, but anyways, my sister has triplets and was connected with a sort of multiples group in the DC area. I can't remember what name of the group is, she has since moved away, but I do know that they had quarterly sale/swaps to get rid of/pass along their multiples gear; clothes, toys, strollers etc to other families that could use them. It might be worth looking into.

Anonymous said...

Check out http://juliantrips.blogspot.com/ she's a triplet mom in the area. And a multiples group here is http://annapolismoms.homestead.com/title.html

Unknown said...

My experience with the girls... looking back now i wish that I would have had bumbo chairs cause I think they would have liked them and been useful but never had them so one less clutter item. they each do have a bouncer that they have sat in a total of 5 times in the last 10 months. they have never been fond of them. however these bouncers are acutally rockers type chairs and they can sit in them until they are 40 lbs so i think when they get bigger they will love them to sit in and watch tv. But I never really needed them cuase they always put them selves to sleep in their beds so they didnt need it for a comfort thing. and when you have multiples they become very independent because you just cant hold them and rock them all the time like you can with one cuase there is only one of you. No real advice on strollers or car seats.. i bought the cheapest car seats i could find and stroller from walmart and they are actually really good and have lasted me the entire time. when you have to buy for more than one it is hard so I tried to go cheap on what i could. I know it is really hard i was freaking out before i had the girls cause i didnt know how much of everything to get and how many outfits. one thing i have really learned though is I never buy them more than five days of close becuase after 4 I am doing laundry for them anyways. I hope i helped somewhat. I know it is different when you add one more to two. but if you have any questions call. and i can try and help somewhat.

Annie Mitchell said...

Good Luck on your choices. We have a sienna and love it, if that helps. We got our at carmax in laurel. It was a 2006 with 15,000 miles. We paid 23,000? Good luck with the other stuff. Max loved his bouncy seat, but Lucie didn't. Them bumbo wasn't used all that much here. Max's legs were to chunky and he just threw up every time we put him in it. But I am sure you will get lots of advise, email me about the clothes and I will meet you some time out there:) mom2mnl@gmail.com

shanna said...

Being prego is so fun!

Anonymous said...

I just want to make a suggestion if I can.....For things like bouncing seats and swings and bumbo chairs and things like that....borrow till you know what your kids like. Maybe you don't need three swings because maybe only one of them likes the swing. I am sure there are enough women who have babies that you know that would be willing to loan you these things till you know what works with your kids. My mom swears by swings and so when Alayah was born I put her in my sisters and she hated it from day one, my mom said she just had to get used to it but to this day she still cries when I try and put her in it at the park. I'm glad I did not spend 150 bucks on one.
Kelly Gish

Anonymous said...

Try this one to save space. but Alayah used her bubmo chair with the tray and she loved it. Finally when she was almost 9 months did we get a high chair. The bumbo was easy too because it was dual usage and moved easily. we thought about getting this one though.
Fisher-Price Space Saver High Chair
Kelly