Monday, November 30, 2009

An overdue catch-up of the last few weeks.

(The typo that was in the title shows what kind of last few weeks it's been.)

*The babies are starting to have more happy awake time. It seems that up until a couple days ago they'd usually just go from asleep to upset/crying. But now they like to interact with us or each other, and can actually be entertained. We might have even seen a few real smiles. They LOVE to be held. All the time. Ruby, sweet Ruby, is mostly an easy baby. She is great at entertaining herself. While the boys are just cranky more often than her. But they love the Moby. Looks like I'll be wearing that a lot these days. But it's so fun when I'm wearing it to look down and see their little faces as I putter around the house. And I love hearing their newly discovered voices as they coo and gurgle.

*At the doctor on Friday they got great reports:

Alex 8 lbs. 10 oz.

Ruby 7 lbs. 10 oz.

Bennett 7 lbs. 14 oz

All R and B are in the 50th percentile, and A in the 75th, for their corrected age (as if they were born on Nov. 21). Sounds good to me. Alex, the big boy, is quite a little chunk. Who knows why he is a whole pound bigger than the others, since they all eat mostly the same thing at the same time. He does dribble a lot less when he bottle feeds, and nurses a lot more efficiently. I'm sure the others will catch up soon enough. I love seeing their cheeks grow before my eyes. They got another set of vaccines, the poor dears. Oh, and no sign of the hernia for Bennett. Phew!

*At their latest eye exam, they all looked great. They still just need a little peripheral development, but no ROP to speak of, anymore. Let's hope it stays that way.

*They have their good nights, and their bad. When all the stars align, and they all sleep for at least 2 hours in a row (sometimes 3-4 if it's a really good night), we all wake up wondering if it really happened, since it's so rare. We take 3 hour shifts and it's pretty common to find that person sleeping with whoever decided to be fussy that night. But a lot of times more than one of us have to stay up and soothe the babies. As much as I absolutely love the newborn stage, they have been in it for quite some time and I'll be happy to welcome the new stage when it arrives. It might be nice to have a new set of ups and downs.

*Feeding times can either go really smoothly, or really crazy. Depending on if there are two or three of us here, or how many of them wake up at the same time. When all three are screaming, and only one or two of us are feeding, we have found ways to feed two, or even three at the same time with the proper positioning, while we watch them carefully since they still have a tendency to choke and dribble. It also gets a little tricky when they all have to burp. You can also find me nursing one (I rotate who gets nursed at each feeding) while bottle feeding another, or pumping while I bottle feed one or two. When they are all strong and efficient enough to prop the bottles, I'm so there.

*We made an entire Thanksgiving dinner. Too ambitious? Maybe. Did we enjoy it when we were done? Yes. So we ate at 7 pm with fussy babies in our arms. At least we got our fix of Turkey with all the trimmings. You kind of need it to welcome the holiday season, don't you think? We tried to make shortcuts, but kept adding things to the list. It was exhausting, and a huge mess, but at least we tried to be festive for the babies' first Thanksgiving. I must say, Mom was the one who took charge of the feast, and did most of her tasks with a baby in tow. What a woman. Words can't describe what she's done for us. But that's an entirely separate post.

*We've been getting some wonderful helpers from my ward. It's so great of them to dedicate their precious time to us. And man, is it nice. I have been able to clean the bathroom, get some exercise, take some naps, do some laundry, blog, take a long shower, and eat a meal without a baby in my arms, among other things. Things I kinda took for granted before. I don't know if I could ever thank my friends enough for what they're doing for us. They do have families of their own after all. I hope to pay it forward someday.

*We're had some out of town visitors lately. My dad came and hopped right into the baby fun. He changed, fed, rocked, swaddled, and everything else that these babies require. I guess once you step into this house, you better be prepared to get yourself elbow deep in babies. My sister Amber also came with her 7 month pregnant belly. She's always good for a laugh. And that we did, until we cried. It was nice to break up the monotony of the daily grind and add a little fun. The pictures tell all.

*We like to do "drive by outings" where we drive to our destination, babies included, but only one person runs in to Target, Five Guys, the Gap, Costco, or Einstein Bagels, to name a few. This is nice because the babies love the car, and we get to get out of this house without exposing them to too many germs.

*Some of my clothes are actually starting to fit again. Yes, they are more snug than they used to be, but at least I have more than a few shirts to choose from every morning. Not that I actually get ready for the day or anything.

*Here's a camera dump from the last few weeks.



I'm hoping to get a video post up soon. Hoping, being the operative word. I hope to get a lot of things done, of which only a few actually do.

11 comments:

Janice said...

Wonderful update! I just read all the old posts yesterday just to keep everything fresh in my mind. Love the pictures. What darlings. You look really great Emily! Can't wait to hold and snuggle the babies!

Anonymous said...

Wow! It sounds like you're figuring this whole parenting thing out with a steep learning curve. Thanks for the update!

Chad and Bree Fowles said...

I can't even begin to tell you how much I LOVED the pictures. I was dying at how cute they are! Good thing is they won't be this difficult for ever....at least in the same ways. You guys are amazing!

Unknown said...

sounds like things are going pretty good around there! loved the pictures they are so so cute! The others may never catch up weight wise. kamri has been three pounds heavier than kylee for a long time now.. just the differenc in their bodies! So glad things are going good! and you look good em!

melody said...

Oh, they DO look different. And so darling. I miss you all. Luckily I won't have to miss you for too much longer! I will definitely be viewing this slide show again. Very soon.

Cami said...

Oh my goodness. Love the pics! So fun. Janey loved them too and said "baby" at each picture. We'll have to keep her away from those little dollies!

And Oh, I remember never feeling like I could take a shower! I'm glad you've been getting a little bit of time here and there.

Tracie Frost said...

Now THAT'S what I've been waiting for! You are amazing! I can't hold a book and feed a baby at the same time - you're pumping, feeding, and cooking all at once! Wow.

Those babies are too, too cute, and as others have said, you look wonderful. I'd never know you haven't had more than 3 hours of sleep at a time in over a month!

Corinne said...

YAY! I'm so glad that you are staying afloat over there. and wahoo for a real Thanksgiving dinner :)

Amber said...

I love all the pictures! It is so fun to see your kids. They are absolutely precious.

Sarah said...

So glad they like the Moby!! Have you figured out how to do two yet?
Can you believe it? You have triplets!

Melissa said...

Nicky and I looked at all the pictures. Nicky thinks it is so funny you have three babies. She says it would be too many to care for. Luckily you have all that help. I love the pictures of all three with Amber.