Friday, November 13, 2009

Baby Land.

What a week we've had. The days seem to go by so quickly when you are working around a 3 hour feeding schedule. We did fortunately find out that we don't need to wake the babies up in the middle of the night to feed anymore. That would've been nice to know. But the nurse that does our home visits says it's a-okay to leave them sleeping. Of course, ever since then they have been waking up like clock-work to eat when we've been waking them up in the past. And now even wake up earlier sometimes. And if one wakes up, we just wake up the other two, so we don't have to wake up an hour later to feed them. It seems they all take their turns being the fussy one at night, and sleep like angels during the day. Actually, it's usually one of the boys. Ruby is a little Angel day and night. So, it's all a game of what's-going-to-happen-tonight around here. I think I'd rather just set my alarm for 2 and 5 am to feed them like we've been doing, than be disappointed that they wake up. The nights can get pretty frustrating, especially since their not even technically born yet, so they still are a bit slow and uncoordinated. Sometimes each of us might get a couple hours of sleep during a whole night. But even as tired as I am, or as hard as it is to keep my eyes open in the middle of the night (my mom describes it as having toothpicks in her eyes), it seems that they are always so sweet, and lively at night, making it hard to be upset that they woke you up (though I still manage to harbor some harsh feelings at times). Especially Ruby. Her eyes get so wide when she eats. I love it. Those little faces aren't hard to love. And as a lot of you have reassured us, this stage doesn't last forever (I try to repeat this over and over to myself when I am having a meltdown).We try to make the monotony of the feedings fun sometimes by having bottle races, or watching movies. I really am trying to enjoy my tiny babies and sweet middle of the night moments while I have them. It seems every night one of them needs a little sleep on mommy's chest time, and I don't usually have a complaint about that.

So, onto some fun things going on over here. Auntie Melody and Gabe came to visit this past weekend. The time always goes by WAY too fast when we're together. It was so fun to see Gabe's big smiley face that I haven't seen since he was a newborn. And he has grown quite a bit. I'll miss those chubby cheeks and his chattering in the doorway bouncer. They fit right into our baby lifestyle. Melody helped out so much, holding and feeding as we needed her, provided her little one didn't need her at the moment. We had a great time comparing the sizes of Gabe and the triplets. They look a lot different in size now, but sometime down the road they'll be so close you'd never know there was such a difference. They are almost the same age, after all. We miss them a lot, and Juju and Jonny that didn't join them. Hopefully the Robinsons and the Rehjolecs will all be together someday and we won't have to say goodbye anymore. It really isn't fun to say goodbye. I can't wait until we're neighbors like we always said we'll be.

The weather was perfect for their stay, and we are able to take several walks. It was the most perfect fall weather you could ask for, and it was nice to get the babies out into the fresh air. It's a good way to get out without having to load them into the car, or exposing them to germs by going somewhere where there are a lot of people. I hope we get a few more days like that this year. This is the slide show from Melody's blog.

We love you guys!

Well, this house is all baby these days, with the 'round the clock feedings, loads of laundry and constant hum of the dishwasher running to wash all the bottles. We also rearranged the furniture to make it easier to maneuver around this place. The babies just sleep in the living room in either the crib, the swings, or the moses basket. We usually take shifts sleeping on the couch to sooth whoever it fussy. Sometimes that person actually gets some sleep. It nice to have them in the open area so we all have a place to sit and feed, and it's closer to the kitchen to prepare bottles. It's amazing how transformed into baby-land this place is. Pacifiers everywhere, diapers withing an arms reach, empty bottles on the end tables, and burp clothes on all the arm rests.

Being preemies, they need a lot of follow-up appointments with several different doctors. On Tuesday we had one with the Pulmonary Pediatrician to talk about the boys' monitors. The doctor was happy that he didn't see anything alarming, and says that we can take them off the monitors when they are being supervised (which is all the time since they sleep in the living room, but we put them on in the middle of the night when we might be sleeping), and we are to go back in a month, which will be a couple weeks past their due date, to take them off for good.

That same day we had to see the Ophthalmologist for an update on their eyes. They have a mild form of ROP, Retinopathy of Prematurity, where the blood vessels in their eyes aren't growing properly. But like it said, it's mild, and we just have to keep a close watch on it so that if it doesn't resolve itself, we can have it corrected. It's pretty scary looking, what the doctor does. First they get a series of drops while we're in the office. We have to wait in the waiting room for about an hour and a half for their eyes to dilate, and then when we get taken back, they get some numbing drops. They are then swaddled to keep their arms out of the way while the doctor uses a speculum to pry their eyelids open. It is horrible looking, and the babies get very upset. I didn't watch, but KC had to hold them still while it was being done. The poor babies. It was only about 30 seconds to a minute of torture per baby, but it's so sad to hear them cry so hard. I always try to put my emotions aside during important procedures, since I know it's important. We get to go through all that again in about two weeks. Hooray.

And we went to the the pediatrician again today for some vaccines. The fun never ends. They didn't love it, but didn't cry for long either. I am supposed to wake them up to eat right now, but I'm afraid they;ll be really cranky when I do. Oh dear. They are turning into giant babies, Alex being the biggest at 7 lbs. 1 0z., Ruby second at 6 lbs. 11 oz., and Bennett 6 lbs. 10 oz. Soon I won't be able to hold them with one hand anymore. I am so glad they are growing like they should. We did find out that Bennett my have a hernia, and we're keeping a close eye on him to see if that's what it really is. The poor thing would need surgery. The doctor says it's a very short, outpatient procedure, and it's not something to be too alarmed about. But who wants surgery? We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. So we go back in two weeks. These trips to the doctor are wearing me out. Especially when they are after a fussy night, like last night. I wonder if I'll ever feel rested again.

I wanted to take some individual pictures. The pictures are a little dark, but I'm choosing not to care.

A

B

R


Oh, and we wanted to see how Alex likes the bumbo. Of course we know he's not big enough for it yet, but it was good for a laugh.


And a video for fun.

So, now that the honeymoon stage it over, I'm trying to evaluate how things are going. I knew having these babies would be a HUGE challenge, but also equally rewarding. I was right. We have are highs and our lows. Right now they are all sleeping, I think. I better get some rest. Or do the laundry. Or take a shower. Or eat something. Or pump. Or make my bed. No, rest sounds the best.

10 comments:

Angela @ Canned Time said...

They are so beautiful Emily. I'm sure your Mom is such a help to you, you're lucky to have her there to help! Take care of yourself when you get a breath!

Unknown said...

oh they are just so precious! Keep up the good work everyone! and just remember it wont be like this for long... have you heard that song by darius rucker! it is a great one to listen to when you are having a hard time!

Janice said...

Thanks for all the details. I've thought about your week many times, but I'm afraid to call when you might be getting that so important few minutes of sleep! You are such a great mom and I love to hear your voice on the video. Can't wait till Dec when I get to hold them again.
Hugs to all 6 of you !

Sarah said...

Yeah! They are so cute. You know, I remember people telling me "this too shall pass" when you are so tired at the beginning - and you know, when you are in it, it feels like forever. But now, it seems like it didn't last that long. Good luck!

melody said...

I love their photo shoot pictures. That second one of Bennett is so funny. We certainly miss you and love that we can picture the ins and outs of your days now. Thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

They are so cute! Their little chubby cheeks are filling in. Good luck with the sleep deprivation :D

Cami said...

It IS babyland over there! You are doing a lot for sure. It sounds like you've got a lot to figure out, but you are doing great. Mommy always knows best. I hope you are all getting some rest! They are darling as usual.

Melissa said...

They are so dang CUTE. They sound like my baby. He is making the same sounds right now. I stopped waking Christian up to eat about a two weeks ago and I've been feeling pretty guilty until I read your blog. So thanks for the info. It does go so fast. I remember how long the days were with my first one (and I had just one) and now she is almost five. So surreal. Take care of yourself. I feel tired for you just reading about everything.

Amber said...

They are adorable. You sound like you are doing amazing. I am so proud of you guys. Glad your sister was able to come see your sweet ones. I love the video hearing them and seeing them kick.

Star said...

Just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy following your blog. I found it from a link on Janessa's blog. I just wanted to say HOORAY for you. I have two girls (2 years, and a 6 month old) and I struggle...and there is only one infant. So hang in there. I can tell you are doing a terrific job. You even keep an updated blog. AMAZING! Thanks for being you even though you don't even know me!