Saturday, December 05, 2009

Scarlett was right

It is remarkable how much your outlook on life can change when you get enough sleep. Needless to say last night went a lot different than the night before. I went to take my first "nap" at about 11:30 pm, anticipating to be woken up at about 1 am to feed them according to how they'd been eating that day. They were pretty fussy, but my mom convinced me to just try to sleep, and since KC didn't have to work today, she had reinforcements if she needed them. So to bed I went, with my earplugs in. Next thing I know it's 4 am, and KC is gently waking me up to help feed. My sweet mom and sweet husband let me skip a whole feeding. That is almost 5 HOURS folks. I haven't slept that many hours in a row for who knows how long. We let my mom go to bed while we fed the babes, and at about 4:30, KC let me go back to bed AGAIN! And they slept until 8:00. That is an hour longer than usual, the little darlings. So after we fed them, KC needed a nap, and I actually didn't. The babies were sleeping really well after that and I was able to do my pilates, take a long shower, have a little me/relax time, write in my journal, eat my breakfast, and have the bottles ready before they were screaming for them. Usually I am dozing until they are starving, so I have to hear the screams as I am preparing bottles. They slept very soundly until their next feeding, and I am a new woman. I even blow-dried my hair, which is quite a luxury these days. It's just more convenient to be rested, and I actually missed the cuddle time that I usually get with them, but not enough to wake them. So we had a good night. Tomorrow might be bad again, or it might not. All I know is that right now, I am a happy mom, and I like this feeling a lot. And we're having the first snow Maryland has seen this winter, and it makes me excited for my babies' first Christmas. It's a great day.

10 comments:

melody said...

I am so glad to hear it.

Lindsey said...

You guys Rock! That is all I have to say. Keep it up.

Jonathan and Janessa said...

I'm so glad they let you get some rest :) You amaze me!

John, Jess, Ellie, Cade, Eden & Scarlett said...

I'm so glad you're feeling rested. It's amazing how five hours can turn you into a new woman. I remember so many times when Ellie was a newborn just sobbing right along with her as she cried to eat, I was so tired. She was not eating well, feedings took 1.5 hrs, just to have to start over 1.5 hrs later. I can't imagine the fatigue that must come with trying to take care of three newborns! Wow. I wish many more nights like last night for you!

Unknown said...

yeah for some rest! Now Hopefully it will keep getting better and better for you!

Janine said...

Glad today was better. Hopefully the sleepless nights will be less and less as they grow.

Anonymous said...

What a blessing! It's amazing what you take for granted (like sleep) when you have plenty of it.

Amber said...

AWESOME!! You guys are all amazing. I love hearing about your adventures. What an experience that none of you will forget. Enjoy.

Cami said...

OH isn't one day of rest just refreshing! I remember the first 5-hour stretch. Way to go mom and KC!

Sarah said...

What a sweet mom and hubby you have. I don't think you realize how tired you are until you get some real sleep hours in!