Saturday, October 01, 2011

Final Summer Sweep

So now that wonderful, beautiful, glorious fall is here, it’s time to catch up on any summer tidbits I may have left out.

We happen to hit the Annapolis Mall on a huge family day event they were having one morning. We got there early, but then saw the crowds swarming and knew something was up. The babies had a great time. There was live music, craft tables, face painting, and even Legos for kids to build and keep. We mostly enjoyed the music, and awesome play place.017018020021

My friend blew up a fun little pool in her fenced in patio, and invited us over. Sounded like the perfect setting for my kids. They loved it. It was the first time they’d played in a pool for a long time (this was before Utah) so it was fun for me to see ho much they enjoyed themselves. And Hilary was nice to invite so many of us over at once!DSC_0463DSC_0466DSC_0468DSC_0471DSC_0481DSC_0486DSC_0487DSC_0493DSC_0496

While we were on vacation, the hurricane hit, as I mentioned before. But that wasn’t the end. When we got back, we had a week straight of torrential rain. Elise said at some points it was as bad as Irene. It makes for good entertainment for the kids out the front window. We were drenched just after bringing all the kids and groceries in. Not too convenient. I think there was an overwhelming sense of relief around here when the sun finally came out, even if it has only peeked out a few times. 390400IMG_2363

Another little surprise when we came home, was the constant chirping of a cricket inside the van. It got pretty aggravating, especially when I was alone in the car and that’s all I could here. I could tell it was hidden up in the inner workings of the drivers side, and kept imagining it would start hopping all over my feet while I drove. One day I caught a glimpse of it , and saw it scurry back in the hole that the pedals come out of. I was on a mission to catch the little guy, so I set a sticky trap right where I saw it. Sure enough, the next time I looked in the car, there he was. I don’t like bugs in my territory. He should’ve known that.005

We’ve been having a great time going out with the Ribeiras. It’s so nice to hit the town now and then, especially when you have good company. One such occasion was at Buca di Beppo. The name alone is what made the decision for us to go there, and that Elise and Jeff said it was good.  Anyway, we ended up being put at their coveted kitchen table, which we found out people usually reserve months in advance. The food was delicious, and the chef made sure we were having a great time. Dessert was on the house (a perk of sitting at our table) and unfortunately/fortunately so was our main dish due to a small hair I found. Quite embarrassing for them, as they talked up the dish so much, and we could see them making it. They made up for it with their great customer service, and a HUGE discount. Plus, look at our dessert. 285092_2237693672725_1559490057_32400044_5123670_n198768_2237695432769_1559490057_32400052_7643021_n206030_2237696472795_1559490057_32400058_7937613_n

Ruby could not be woken up after a short drive home from the store. She got an early nap that day.403

Elise took this as she was leaving the house. I love several things about this picture.226090_2268918853335_1559490057_32444705_7832245_n

With Ruby often taking off her diaper now, we have to resort to this attractive duct tape method when she insists on having her pants off. Which is a lot. We have since found these, and they seem to be working well so far, not to mention they look a slightly less white trash when she is running around pants-less, but who knows how long it will be before she figures a way out of those as well. I sense some potty training in my near future. We shall see. IMG_1702

Sharing! Without any intervening from me! This is truly worthy of documentation. It doesn’t happen often.IMG_1850IMG_2382Notice how it’s just the boys in these pictures. Ruby is a bit more territorial. Observe:

She’s just playing along,IMG_2213

until someone gets near her. She starts to guard her precious toys (which in this case is a bag of silly odds and ends that she LOVES) with her life.IMG_2216

And when one is even touched,IMG_2218

this happens. A lot. Every day. We’re working on it. IMG_2220

We are learning to eat like big people.IMG_1868IMG_1870007008IMG_2354Apparently we have to teach some manners about eating at the big people table.IMG_2348

Bennett, always finding something else to put on his head.IMG_1884IMG_1886

We’re definitely in the line-everything-up stage.008

I had to laugh when I saw ruby getting her baby ready to eat.

First a kiss.002

Then she buckles.004

And tells the baby she is a good girl.006I think the baby even got a few bites of Ruby’s apple that day.

Everyone loves a good lounge. Bennett seems to like it the most. IMG_2305009IMG_2153IMG_2157

Ruby came to me one day all ready to go out. Lookin’ good.027

Alex, so proud of his block tower.IMG_2158

He’s also a fan of making hats out of toy bins.IMG_2168I should also say that my big boy Alex also learned how to jump a couple weeks ago. I can’t get enough of his jumping all over the living room. The others think they are jumping when they really aren’t. That’s funny too.

I just love this post-nap capture. Usually it’s Alex that’s cranky when he wakes up.IMG_2195She cheered up quickly.IMG_2199

Who knew the toy bins could have so many purposes.047

I think Alex was enjoying his alone time.050051

But I don’t think he minded having a friend join him.052

There is no end to the amount of fun babies can have with a box.054IMG_2228IMG_2235IMG_2237

Big or small.IMG_2356

A new place Bennett likes to hang.010IMG_2313

Ruby put her shirt on as pants, and was pretty frustrated when they wouldn’t stay up.021023

It’s bad enough that Ruby won’t keep her diaper on, now Bennett is showing that he’d prefer his buns bare as well.013

Ruby’s just checking her email. She’s actually not at all allowed to do this, it just looked so legit.IMG_2240

Alex prefers to eat snacks at the table. IMG_2259

Ruby likes the floor. Bennett likes dumping his on the floor and either eating it, or stomping on it. I’m usually annoyed and cleaning it up, instead of taking pictures, so there isn’t one of him. IMG_2266

They are all so in love with Goodnight Moon. Especially Bennett. What is it about that book? IMG_2321

Few things make me happier than my naked, happy babies. IMG_2277IMG_2280IMG_2282

Oh, or when they are naked, happy, and Daddy is home (and I get a little break-whew!). That might win in my happy column. IMG_2345

 

Goodbye summer! We had an exciting, and exhausting time together. Now it’s time to truly embrace fall, being the first day of October, and the weather getting chilly. I have such fun plans this fall. I hope I get to them all.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Nana and Papa enjoyed this very much.

Cami said...

Good catchup and picture overload. I love the loungy pics. Nice.

Karlene said...

LOVE all the pictures! You're commentating so entertaining as well!

Amber said...

We were laughing out loud at those pics. I especially loved Ruby's bag of crap that no one is aloud to touch. Good luck in the future with that collector. I have had to sneakingly throw away many of Ally and Jill's weird things while they are at school. My favorite was the huge bags of tiny snail shells they found at Bear Lake-does that seriously need to be in my house? Jillian has gotten so much better since she started sharing a room with Katy. She is more of a minimalist...

Michelle and Cisco said...

So many pictures I love in this post. LOVE the window picture. I got a few minutes of laughter out of that one. Love Bennett with his leg up on the table. They are all so cute!