Monday, June 04, 2012

And the WORLD WILL KNOW!

I want to see it again. I wanted to see it again the moment it was over. Newsies was a show to remember. I’m not one to see a lot of shows. I do love a good trip to the theater should the opportunity arise, but I have to be pretty excited to see it to fork over the cash and time required to see one. But I’m telling you, this was worth every penny and hour on the bus, and more. 067

Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love Newsies. It must have come out during my more impressionable years, because I have had a crush on Jack Kelly for as long as I can remember. It’s a healthy crush, mind you. Nowhere near any weird obsession, but there is never a day that I wouldn't be in the mood to pull out my Newsies dvd and have a good dance/sing-a-long. The show exceeded my expectations, and truly left me wanting more of the amazing singing, dancing, and adorable talented faces. There was a lot of new material, and slight changes to the plot, but it was all around a fantastic performance.  I just wish it would tour in Baltimore so it wouldn’t be such a trip to see it. Oh, and I might have liked it so much that I was a bit of a sucker and purchased the over-priced t-shirt to commemorate the experience. I never though I’d be that person, but I guess I am for the Newsies. 0616802047590523

And if seeing the show wasn’t enough awesomeness to take in, I got to experience it with some of my best friends. Sarah and Molly slept over the night before so we could all ride to the 6:15 am bus together (they live a little far to be driving to the bus that early), and we met up with Courtney in the morning. The bus ride went by so quickly. We never had a shortage of conversation, and we just know how to have a good time together. And when we arrived, having several of us came in handy when we were splitting a cab four ways. Bonus.003(A totally candid Marilyn Monroe-esque moment.)010013014

Although we didn’t have much time to enjoy what NYC had to offer, we did what we could in the time we did have. We started with brunch at Max Brenner. And what a “brunch” it was. Kobe beef burger, streak panini, cocoa dusted waffle fries, and then dessert. The most decadent, buttery, light, crispy waffle topped with caramelized bananas, and vanilla ice cream and lot of lovely gooeyness, and the Peanut Butter Euphoria Sundae, with all kinds of textures and flavors to enjoy. Don’t worry, we shared. It was a filling, amazing, rich meal. We were all a little chocolate tipsy after that. We did some shopping, and made it to the show with only minutes to spare! 022024037040036044042046048054057064(Watching all of that jumping and dancing around the stage kind of makes you want to do it too. )070

After the show, we used our last hour or so to relax in Bryant Park, after a little dancing in the street (okay, maybe that was just me as I was coming off the high of the show). That park is just so beautiful and so New York. Yoga groups, a children's reading station with a rack of books and little tables and chairs, and a charming outdoor restaurant. And can I just say something about how the weather was just perfection. It was sunny with a light breeze throughout the day. Never above 75 degrees. We were expecting a lot of rain, so this was more than a pleasant surprise. 086075(Don’t worry, we found someone trustworthy enough to take this.)079

After more shopping, we grabbed the obligatory slice of New York Pizza, and hopped on our 6:45 bus home. That one is always a little longer for me, but we made it alright with a little resting, chatting, and Farkle on my iPod.  We kept talking about how free it felt to be away from all of our motherly obligations, thanks to our awesome husbands for taking all that responsibility for the long day. They did such a good job, we might have to do things like this more often. He he.091

We were home by 11:00 pm, and I fell into bed feeling like it was such a fulfilling, successful, great day. Tiring at times, yes, especially for the pregnant, or non-morning people. But I for one enjoyed every second, and just felt like everything fell into place so well. I feel a little sad that it’s over, so I’m going to get the Newsies music that has been running through my head for days, hoping that listening to it will soften the blow. I’m sure I’ll have the kids singing “Santa Fe” in no time!

(More pics here  if you’re interested.)

6 comments:

keegan said...

Emily, Sarah is Keegan's cousins wife. Such a small world. Glad she has found some great friends out there!

Drew said...

YAY, I'm glad you liked it! I'm so jealous you had the chance to see the original cast, that just doesn't happen for me very often. Hopefully it tours sometime in the future! (I'm sure it will, especially after it sweeps the Tonys.)

Corinne said...

I got to hear all about this in a whispered conversation during primary yesterday :) SO JEALOUS! What a FABULOUS TIME. Really wish I could see this one :)

melody said...

Oh man, the show sounds amazing and the food looks incredible. How did we not eat there when we went? Oh well, we'll have to plan another trip. And include Newsies for sure. So glad you got to go!

Janice said...

We watched Newsies on TV last night, in honor of your recent NYC trip!

Michelle said...

seriously...if you wanna go again, let me and Corinne know :).