Wednesday, June 06, 2012

What has happened to me?

So, you know how I started running consistently last fall, and I have really learned to love it? Well, apparently I love it enough to talk myself into a half marathon. I can’t believe I just said that, but it’s true. My running friend Courtney informed me about a race she signed up for in March, and in honor of National Running Day, you get $20 off the hefty$85 registration today only. And after feeling nearly invincible after my longest run to date at boot camp this morning, I  decided it was time to amp up my game, and go for a longer race. So everything just sort of fell into place, and I took a big gulp and signed myself up.

header-usa

I know I should probably be looking more in the 10k varieties of races, because of the fact that I only have a handful of 5ks under my belt, but the race is in March, so I figure I have a good amount of time to train for the half. I know that it will be a very different experience, running the longer distances. When I run at boot camp, we stay together, keeping a pretty easy pace, and I feel like I could run forever at that rate. I’m always trying to run so fast at the 5ks, that it gets pretty painful for me toward the end, making me start to hate the sport for a few days, so maybe this slow running will be nice, even if it is for a longer amount of time. And maybe, just maybe, I can make it through 13.1 miles without feeling like I want to die. I’m not going to be looking so much at the clock. Mostly just the finish line.

I have  lot to learn about long distance running, so I better start studying up. I really never thought I’d be doing this, but there is a first time for everything, right? Yikes.

6 comments:

Lili and Jeff said...

Whoa, how exciting! And you have plenty of prep time too. I definitely know you can do it. I remember you telling me how pleasant it was jogging at a slower pace. Just get a good book loaded up on your ipod! Jeff says he will be your trainer :)

Sarah said...

I just started loving running too. Good luck! You totally can do it!

Drew said...

You brave soul! The half (or the full for that matter) is something I still haven't quite had the desire or courage to undertake. But you can do it! Maybe when you do I'll feel more motivated to do one myself. Like you said, I just push myself so hard in 5Ks and 10Ks that is seems like I wouldn't be able to keep a pace that I like for long enough, but also like you said, you keep your eye on the finish line, and not on the timer! Running FTW.

Jules said...

Eep! I am impressed with your motivation and I'm sure with so much time to prepare that you'll do awesomely when the time comes!

melody said...

Oh yeah, you can TOTALLY do it. I think a half is the perfect do-able challenge. And this looks like an awesome one! Can't wait until we can all do a race together. (But first, I can't wait until I am race-ready again at all. This running talk has me antsy to get going. Soon enough, I suppose!)

Susan said...

Ooh! Maybe I'll sign up for that one. March is soooo perfect, weather-wise, and that one's actually on a Saturday... Maybe I'll see you quite a while after you've crossed the finish line :)