Saturday, September 22, 2012

One Year Running

Last year when I started running consistently, I signed up for the Race for the Family. It was the first race I’d done in years. Well, a year has come and gone, and I am still running, and doing even more in the ways of physical fitness than I ever have (I was presented with all my Boot Camp co-instructor gear (shirt, shorts, and hat) at class on Friday! It’s official!). It’s been a wonderful thing to feel the perks of getting in better shape. Anyway, this race means a lot to me in many ways. It’s for a great cause, helping others overcome Infertility. And since it was my first race (with the exception of a few I did for fun in 2003 without much training or expectations)  I was really looking forward to seeing how much I have improved this past year. With it being on the same exact course, it was a great gauge to how far I’d come since last year.

Mom and Dad joined us. Mom was running, and Dad, a runner himself, offered to stay and help KC with the kiddos. It was a perfectly beautiful morning. I turned on my book, and was off. Who wouldn't love a course so gorgeous? I was just lovely. Although I didn’t beat my best time (nor was I expecting to with all the hills on the trail), I did knock an entire 3 MINUTES off last years time, coming in at 26 minutes! My stamina was much higher, and I just felt better overall. Those hills weren’t nearly as painful as they were all those months ago. It was so great to just feel my body working better.

We enjoyed the little festival they put on afterward with all kinds of yummy food for kids and adults, and so much for the kids to do. Balloon animals, crafts tables, live music, bean bag tosses, face painting, toddler races, and even a raffle to see which Shady Grove Fertility Physican would win the tricycle race. The kids were all in the beginnings of a cold, but had a great time nonetheless. We left with all kinds of fun swag. It was just a heart-warming, festive event. So many great success stories were shared, and I was proud to be among them. They gave out 1st and 2nd place medals in each age group, and from the looks of the official results, I think I  would’ve been 3rd. Mom also was 2nd in her age group! There’s nothing like a good race to get you in the running spirit. I can’t wait for the next one. Which Turkey Trot will I choose?!

And, some pictures of all the fun:

We set out around 6:45 am. Alex LOVES the kids yoga dvd I bought them. He’s doing some stretches on the way to the race. He knows how to start a day off right. 077080

Pre-race, feeling good.084

About the cross the finish line and feeling better.085

Post-race and feeling great!091

2nd place!121

The kids thoroughly enjoyed all the freebies. 087089102105(Nice, Alex. Hehe.)119

During the awards ceremony, I’m not sure why, but the kids made themselves right at home in the middle of the circle of people. They were behind the speaker, so it wasn’t too disruptive. They were cracking us up the whole time.112114117

An attempt at a family picture.122

While visiting the 107.3 booth, they surprised Ruby with this little gift just for fun. She was so excited, and it kept them nice and quiet for the ride home.  123

Now the kids are constantly asking to “play race” which I love. Maybe the running blood will be passed on to them too.

1 comment:

Corinne said...

Yay for you! Maybe next year we'll feel up to joining you and I'll let CLINT run and I'll cheer!! ;)