Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Three Turned Three!

I’m a little in denial right now. It’s just cruel how quickly our sweet babies grow up. CRUEL. I ache to have just a few hours of their baby time back. But is it terrible to say that I am relived that we are done with the year of three two-year-olds?! As much as I have SO enjoyed watching them grow and learn so much this past year, there were times when I thought I might die. Seriously. From flailing arms and legs, or panic attacks, or over exertion from trying to strap kids in the car seats while they insist on screaming and arching their backs, or just the constant feeling of being overwhelmed with life. It’s a serious roller coaster, being a parent, and having these three all at once just makes the ride that much more dangerous, and exciting. I miss my little babies so much it hurts, but I WILL NOT miss the terrible twos. I know the threes come with a lot of drama as well, but I can see that as they get older, they just become easier to deal with, even if just a little. I have seen a clear change in my kiddos in just the last couple of months. I can’t believe I can communicate in almost normal conversation with my babies! Crazy.

So, while I didn’t have huge plans of a birthday party, we did do a lot of fun things. It ended up being more of a week of parties, than just one day. Why not?

It started on Tuesday. That morning, we went to a fun birthday party of a friend who was turning four. It was perfect for the cute group of toddlers, and we practiced all morning saying, “Happy Birthday Jonny!” which they performed perfectly for the birthday boy. It was their first real birthday party, and it was so fun to see them interact and listen (for the most part) to instruction. And it got them all primed for their own big day.

That evening we decided to go with the Ribeiras to Texas Roadhouse. I must have signed up for something at some point, because I got an email saying they got free kids meals for their birthday. We called ahead, were  told it would be 25 minutes from when we called, got there 25 minutes later, and waited and waited and waited. Thank goodness they had a painting station for the kids, all the peanuts they could ever want, and someone dressed in an armadillo costume that Ruby was obsessed with. Who knows how many high fives he gave her. It happened to also be kids night, hence all the activities. We probably waited over an hour. I was trying not to get annoyed since the kids were really doing well. Then we were taken to a booth. We had 4 squirmy kids and 4 adults. A BOOTH! Oh man. We know they had a table for us, but aren’t sure what happened. We hurried and ordered food. We were starving. The kids were restless. Their food came out fast, but we were all so stuffed with peanuts and rolls that no one was that hungry. KC and I had been nibbling on their stuff so much that when ours finally came out we just asked for boxes. They never even brought out our appetizer. The kids were crawling all over the place, and I just kept taking people on walks around the restaurant. I don’t think I sat down for more than 5 minutes at a time. No one ever offered the ice cream they said would be available on kids night (we saw the toppings table), and they cried when we put them on the saddle and sang happy birthday. A splendid evening! When we were done, KC took them out, I waited too long for our appetizer-to-go, and we were home close to 10 pm. We got there at 6:30. Ugh. I hate eating late, and even more I hate overtired kids. We’ll skip that restaurant next time we take the kids out to dinner. At least we did get a pretty good deal, and had a lot of leftovers to enjoy. And that night KC and I got out the tools and assembled three tricycles!172174175179180

On Wednesday, their actual birthday, I didn’t have much planned because my mom and dad were flying in around dinner time. When I told them happy birthday, they just kept saying, “Happy Birthday Jonny!” It took a little explaining, but soon they realized it was now their turn to celebrate! We started with the traditional birthday cereal. Since they can’t choose for themselves yet (like I’d put myself in THAT situation), I chose Trix and Cocoa Puffs. Turns out I chose well. It was a gorgeous day so we decided to go to Watkins Park. It wasn’t our most fun visit with a lot of potty false alarms and Ruby not listening to me when I told (more like yelled at) her to not run into the street as I am running with the stroller to catch up with her. I think they were tired from the lack of sleep the night before and were acting up a little. We were anxious to get home and get to sleep. During naps I worked on the cakes and took a rest myself.

157158156

Around 6 I piled up the kids and went to the airport to pick up my mom and dad. The kids had so much to say as they all got reacquainted. KC was busy getting balloons (which I suspected the kids would like more than any present we got for them), and picking up pizzas. We had a delicious dinner of pizza and salad, and ended with lots of birthday cakes. I made a little one for each of the kids with funfetti cake cut into stars that I stacked with different color frostings. They were happy kids. We also enjoyed a late birthday cake I promised to make for my dad when he came. I call it a peanut butter truffle cake. Addicting. The candles were so exciting for the toddlers, and they devoured their little cakes. I was clearly not thinking that day because I forgot to get any before pictures of their little cakes. Arg. After all that fun it was pretty late and the kids were already hyped up with the visitors and sweets so we decided to save presents for the next day. The kids didn’t know any different.

A

233 250

B (I meant to give B the blue, but they were handed out so quickly, and it really didn’t matter in the end).236243242

R

238248

253252256

After boot camp the next morning (mom and dad came and did great!), we finally brought out the tricycles! They were a HUGE hit, just as I hoped they would be.  Ruby picked it up very quickly and started giving people rides! The boys also figured it out eventually. They are at the perfect age for these. I can’t believe how old they are. I just can’t.273274290293302306307308

The rest of the day was full of fun. With my mom and dad to help out, we took the kids to Pump it Up. Ruby and Bennett dove right in, while Alex hung back. He tends to get overstimulated easily. It happens a lot. But we didn’t let him get us down. We played and played until our time was up. My dad was awesome taking each kid, including cousin Penny, through the obstacle courses. Even Alex who wasn’t too happy about it. It was great. I took everyone in the hurricane simulator, which frightened my kids to death. But we all had a good laugh about it. Good mom, huh? I wish there was some kind of membership deal to that place, cause I’d take my kids there once a week. It’s like 10 minutes from our house. 023024026028051058062063

If that wasn’t enough fun, we stopped at the Chick-Fil-A down the street for lunch, and MORE play time. It was much more Alex’s pace, and the food and service was awesome, as usual. We were ALL ready for a nap at that point. I don’t know how my parents were holding up getting up at 3 am their time for boot camp, and playing hard with the kids all morning, but they were troopers.

070074075078

That night there were many more presents to be had. They were in heaven, and it was hilarious and heartwarming to hear how happy and excited they were. There was a near-disaster, when the fire truck was the more popular toy among the boys. I was annoyed with myself that I got two different toys. When will I learn!? Luckily, they soon saw the coolness of the helicopter, and did a pretty good job taking turns with each. And I was right about the balloons. Those things are like gold around here. 316318325328332335340347349

So, how is that for a huge, three-day birthday celebration?! Hey, with three kids to celebrate, it makes sense to keep the party going. It was so great to celebrate my babies turning three. Yes, I still call them that. I can’t stop. This has been such a big year for them. And me! I remember the first time I let them walk to the car on their own. That was HUGE for a mom who no longer had to make several trips in and out of the car. Other big developments this year have been that they can actually communicate with me and other kids, they learned to buckle their high chairs, we started potty training, sharing toys is easier, they love to hold hands, they love to say please and “tank you,” they can put on their own shoes . . . the list could go on. Maybe I’ll feel like this at every birthday, but there has been so much progress this past year that has made my life so much easier, and for that I am grateful. These little things might not be so noticeable to others, but you definitely feel a weight lifted when you no longer have to lift three big kids into the back of the van any more.

Happy Birthday, Sweeties. It’s been a crazy year, but we have all learned a lot and have become closer because of it. I now have three three-year-olds. I’m sure I’ll still need all the prayers that were being said for us when they were two. Keep them coming.   149

119

129

8 comments:

Corinne said...

THREE YEARS? Oh my word. So, so wonderful. I am thrilled that you've made it so far and the parties look like fantastictimes. Congrats to you all :)

Sarah said...

I can't believe you have 3 three-year-olds.
Good luck with the 3's!

Drew said...

Partyyyyy! Sounds like a great time(s). Sorry you had a bad experience at Texas, we usually really like that place, though I imagine going with so many little ones is quite different than just two grown-ups. Also, yes, the wait times there are riDICulous, even if you call ahead. Pffff.

Tracie Frost said...

I love buying "real" toys for my kids! It's one of my favorite parts of them getting older!

Janice said...

What a fun three day celebration! I love their faces at the end - so precious.

Molly said...

I can't believe your diaper babies are 3!!! And my kids will have to come up with a new name for them b/c they are not in diapers anymore! Way to go Emily:) They are just as cute as can be and I love that they got 3 tricycles and 3 cakes. Happy Birthday kiddos!

Cami said...

Oh man. THREE at 3. I am excited for you to have 4-year-olds. 4 is my favorite age. But 3 is fun too. That is a crazy party and I probably would have ran outside sat in the middle of the street and cried. I know, because I've done it before. :)

melody said...

The last three pictures - DARLING!