Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Lazy me

It's taken me this long to sit down and write about last weekend. The baby has been occupying my thoughts and KC is out of town for a couple days. I hate when he's out of town. He has a conference in Virginia, so it's not too far away and he'll be home tomorrow. I think I'll make it, but going to sleep alone is the weirdest part. I piled up the pillows on his side to trick my sleeping self. Only one more night to go.

Well Last Saturday all of the family we have here got together to go to Kings Dominion, also in Virginia. We rode up with the Turpins and had a good laugh at what the boys were doing the whole time. They sure have a lot of toys to make the ride a comfortable one. There was some kind of traffic, but it only put us about 20 minutes behind schedule. Matt's fam was just behind us by about 20 miles so it was a nice smooth ride and we were anxious to get to the park. Of course, we didn't realize that this was the first Saturday that the park had been open this season. It had opened on Memorial Day. Man the people just kept coming in. Don't they have a capacity limit? There was a constant flow of people walking through the gates, and I'm not one who likes to go where the crowd is going. No matter what it is, a concert, a movie, and especially an amusement park are places that I usually avoid when there are gigantic crowds. But I got over it and embraced the heat and the lines and tried to get my money's worth. It was so hot and humid so I really enjoyed the time we had at the water park. I would've been content to stay there the whole time, but the famous roller coasters were calling our name. I'm happy to say that KC and I were almost completely sunburn free with the exception of KC's neck, part of his arm and few spots on me--little places we just missed while putting sunscreen on. We are a very white couple and we embrace that trait we have. I used to hate being this almost fluorescent color and would rather be burned than white. Now that I'm older and wiser, sunscreen is a great friend of mine. The spots of burn we did get did show us that we would be in a lot of pain without our sunscreen, so we are very grateful. We did a few tube rides, and one that we even took everyone, kids included, on. It was funny to see them crying on the way down, and being happy that they did it when it was over. They are pretty brave if you ask me. After a little more wave pool, we changed, ate lunch, and went on a couple more rides. That's another things about parks like this. You stand in line forever, in our case with the Volcano, 1 hour 15 minutes, for a 30 second ride. We must all look like a bunch of dummies waiting in the heat that long. But we didn't have to wait in line at all when I got a text from Matt that they were going on the new Italian Job ride so I guess I shouldn't complain. We wriggled our way into the very front of the line where they were and didn't wait but 5 minutes. I think that's against the rules, but oh well. We were mad that they made Jack leave the ride right before we was going on because he was too short. He better wear taller shoes next time.

The heat was really getting to all the adults and we called it a day at about 5:30. The kids picked out some souvenirs and we were on our way. We rode with the Grahams on the way home and stopped for Arbys. If I had to choose fast food at any time, it would be Arbys. Their new Orange Cream shake is very good after a hot day in the sun. We slept well that night and again were glad we were sleeping on still white backs.

On Sunday, our ward had four convert baptisms. Cool, huh? It was quite an event and so many people stayed to witness this great event. I always love watching the baptisms and just thinking to myself the life they now have ahead of them. I never had a life without the Gospel, but I know the joy it brings to me and those around me. Man, to be without it would seem crazy to me. To not live with this knowledge. When I realize what is really happening when a baptism is being performed, it makes me so excited for them to live their new lives and see all the changes that will take place. Living with the spirit is an amazing thing. Now my class has two new kids. One who got baptised, and one whose mom did and will when he is eight. I really have to teach differently now. The kids before knew a lot about the scripture stories and the primary songs. I really to start from the beginning now because these kids really don't even know who Nephi is, or the words to I am a Child of God. It's refreshing to have a reason to liven up my lessons. I can't wait to see the testimonies develop in these children's hearts, and mine as I teach and learn.

Yesterday I went to a friend's house to talk about girl's camp. I also found a cute pair of shorts that she and her sewing machine helped me alter. And of course, we went to get ice cream at about 9:30 pm. It was a good way to spend an evening away from my love. Last time he was gone, I hadn't made any friends yet. I spent a lot of time with Cami and Lili since she was visiting and remember folding his laundry and being so sad he wasn't here. It's so nice to have friends and family here. We have met a lot of great people in our ward. I love it when you make it to that certain comfortable level with people. Like being able the open the fridge without asking. Maybe it's that I always had a best friend and was never forced to make any, and now I'm married, I don't really put myself out there to be a friend. There are some people that are good at involving people, and sometimes I let myself be one of those that waits to be involved. I'm going to try to be more of a go-getter in the future. If my friends hadn't invited us to game nights here and there, we might not have been so open to make new friends. I was completely different in high school, but life in the real world is not quite the same. I had to really pull myself out of a shell to talk to KC the first time, but he had to really push and pull to keep me coming to friend type things. I am very grateful for these gestures as it made me really understand the value of good friends.

Well this blog is much longer and more reflective than I anticipated, but I have lot to think about when I 'm not wondering what to put in KC's lunch, I guess. This weekend we're headed to California for the Robinsons summer vacation. And after that it's straight to see my new little namesake. I can't wait!

7 comments:

Matt said...

Nice recap. I wish my back was white. I got the sunburn you were talking about. Not too bad, but bad enough that I wish I didn't have it.

We think we should probably have stayed in the water park longer. A nice trip though. It was worth it to watch the kids go on some of those water and coaster rides.

mylittlegems said...

Your writing is fun to read. Have a fun trip to CA and UT! Your little neice is very cute! love sharla

Amber said...

I'm so glad you guys have the Big Fun together! Did you know we are coming there in September? I can't wait to see your apt. and party on with all you guys. And, I can't wait to see you next week--Yay!

Cami said...

Em! You should have come over. Is he still gone? Anywho, nice trip recap. I love the pictures of Jeffy and KC. I wish I could find my camera. Yes, we SHOULD have stayed in the water park longer. Next time, let's just GO to a water park.

melody said...

Sounds like you have managed to keep busy while KC is gone. I hate being apart from Jonny overnight too. While in the hospital, I told him to go home and get a good sleep. It was a hard night for me without him! We are lucky girls to have such great husbands and best friends. Hey, I will see you very soon! We three can't wait.

Janice Graham said...

Emily what a nice piece of writing. I laughed and reflected. I think it's great you keep your skin white. You'll look so young later on what with the nice humid air in MD and staying out of the sun. You and Scarlet O'Hara.

Corinne said...

I like the pic of Jeffy and KC too. MAN was Jeffy excited about that map
!!