Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Catching up

I had to take a breather after that long post about the trip but I suppose it's time to come back to the blog. We've had some fun happenings around here. On Friday we were having the best weather. It was a nice cool breeze and I couldn't resist eating outside. I also figured it was too windy for the mosquitoes so I took advantage. We had cheese steak pizza, and perfectly ripened ice cold nectarines. It was very nice.

The next morning, Saturday, we had our yard sale. Yes, the thing that has kept stuff piling up in our little hallway for months. Matty and the gang were getting things together too. We had a couple dressers, broken and not, many clothes, bags, toys, and free homemade cookies and suckers. Cheverly had silly rules about signs. You have to register, pay a one dollar fee for one authorized sign, and put it up in an authorized location. I was very annoyed at the time going through the silly process, but all was well in the end. Good thing Craigslist was an option. We planned on no one showing up but actually got a few shoppers. We made a decent chunk of change, but the best part, aside from how excited jack was about customers and selling his toys to other kids, was ridding my home of all unnecessary items. All my old clothes are out including some shoes that were hard to part with. Before everything went to the salvation army, the Grahams and we exchanged a few things and then it all went.

We went immediately to a ward picnic and more time in the sun. It was nice to visit with friends. Luckily Matt and Cortnie told me about these new citronella bracelets that you can wear to keep mosquitoes away. I didn't get one bite all day.

KC's mom flew in on business that night and was staying in DC. We decided to have dinner in Georgetown. We don't go there often enough so it was nice to have an excuse to go there. After all, it's only a short distance from our house. We ate at Clydes, a local, chain that was very delicious. We did some shopping and walked along the water. It was a beautiful night. My throat was getting a little froggy by this time of night and I was praying and it was just the result of a long day in the sun and wouldn't amount to anything. The next day my voice became worse and so did the cough. It's not a major cold or anything, but enough to take my voice and keep me coughing for a couple days. I have a history if losing my voice and it's not too pleasant. Maybe tomorrow I'll find it again.

Sunday was kind of catch up for me. My substitute apologized that she had forgotten to teach both of the two weeks that I had asked her to. Luckily our primary presidency and kids are flexible. I told them what had happened without mentioning any names and they just laughed. I just made up a lesson since my manuel was still in the hands of another. We had lunch with KC's mom at our place. It was nice to see her again. It had only been a couple weeks since we were together, but it's always nice to see people in your own neighborhood.

Our friends the Millers invited us over for a game of Settlers that I was playing for the first time. It was fun to play a new game even though I lost miserably. And you can always guarantee there will be popcorn at their house. This time they put parmesan on it so it was extra good. We were debating on going to IHOP at midnight, it being Sunday and all, but our long weekend demanded a good sleep for work on Monday.

They invited us again yesterday along with a few other friends for a graduation ice cream party for a couple of the guys. There was so much ice cream and toppings, it was hard to stop eating. We played more games, part of which I slept through, and had a fun time. I really enjoy the time we spend with our friends here. It feels like we really have become close.

So there is the catch up. I just felt it was a nice weekend that I didn't want to let go by without recording. Now, what to do with all the garage sale money we made?

10 comments:

melody said...

I wish I had been invited to the ice -cream party. Let's have one next time you come!

mylittlegems said...

YUMMY!!

Cami said...

Sounds like you had a successful sale! Luckily, Jake and I were able to get rid of most of our extra furniture the other day, so hooray. So, we just played Settlers the other day for the first time too! We loved it. I lost miserably the first time, then we played one more and I totally dominated. Jake wants to buy it, so we'll have to have you guys over.

Anyway, I'll call you cause we have some things to plan. Hope you feel better and stuff!

mylittlegems said...

you guys are all about fun and food! So where do you get those braclets? Aaron (my husband) loves Settlers! It is his favorite game.

Emily said...

Oh Yeah. The bracelets are in the dollar aisle at Target. 3/1$. Sharla, I still can't see your blog. Can I get an invitation?

Hannah said...

Looks like you have a fun life! How do you have time for all the things you do?

Lili and Jeff said...

Funtimes yard sale! Matty and Fam are awesome to help. They always are just the helpiest! Suckers and cookies! Bonus! Settlers, eh? My friends only invited me to play that, because I was a complete spaz when I played it as I lose horribly as well, and they like to see me over react to everything. It takes some getting used to. Fun that KC's mum came out! Party times indeed!

Unknown said...

I am an avid settlers player...such a fun game, especially since I have mastered the strategy to win every time!! I will let you know my secrets next time we chat.

Susan said...

That's a full weekend! And full of such good stuff: good weather, good food, good friends, a good game, good family. phewf! (there's probably an official way to spell that...)

Amber said...

I sounds like you guys always have something fun going on with family and friends! I'm glad your garage sale was a success! I wanted to have a "garage take" the other day. I cleaned the garage out by myself and I just wanted someone to come take it all away!(it was a tuesday so Todd had to work. I have to do things when I am inspired)