Thursday, May 08, 2008

A squeak in the night

I was completely exhausted last night. I happily fell into bed and we proceeded to watch our nightly episode (or two, depending on how late it is or how long I can stay up) of LOST. I only made it about 15 minutes and was practically comatose. It was about 11:00 or something. I was well on my way to a full nights sleep (until 6 most likely) when I was awoken by a very quiet squeaking and rustling about every 3-5 seconds. It was only 1:30 am. We have massive amounts of squirrels in yards so I thought, and really hoped, it was one outside the window right above the bed. I listened for a minute or so before I woke KC up to determine what the sound was. He listened for a moment but it wasn't long that we agreed it was inside for sure. I was freaking out a little, worried that any movement would scare it away to who knows where.  KC thought for a moment and made a very good guess that it was a mouse caught on a sticky trap under the dresser. Di-sgusting! I thought it might've been a mouse, but I didn't want to admit it. I mean, I knew our house wasn't exempt. It's old, and there are other houses in the neighborhood with mice. But I'd never seen one, nor the traces of one, and the landlady has the exterminator come pretty frequently. It was just horrible listening to the little guy squeak it's little heart out trying to escape to no avail. It was struggling enough to make it out from under the dresser into plain sight still on the sticky trap. KC got some equipment together, and did what needed to be done-put it out of it's misery (outside of course). I  wasn't about to get close enough to take a picture, so you will be spared, unlike my brother's post on the varmints. We were all wound up from the eventful time, that we decided to finish the episode of LOST we'd started before, which happened to have a very suspenseful ending, not helping our riled up state. Anyway, this makes me even more anxious to move upstairs to be a little further from the scene or the crime. 

6 comments:

Hannah said...

Oh...that is gross. Your brother's post made me want to throw up. Yuck. Poor mouse..

Drew said...

First, I forgot, and am so excited, that you're getting into LOST!!! It's taken you a while, and I'm not sure why, but better late than never! Best on TV, I say!

And as for the mouse, yikes, and yes, funny that that happened not only to Matt, but, if you read my comment on his blog about this, me too, in Milwaukee! I heard the thing struggle and die, just like you. How inhumane! Or, I guess... inanimale.

Amber said...

Sick!! Sadly I know how you feel. I think everyone has to have mice at some point! We had one screaming behind the stove once. It was caught by the skin on it's neck in a trap. Aweful and disgusting!! Hopefully it is over for you now...

Matt said...

That is not a fun way to wake up. It makes you want to curl up into the smallest possible part of your bed. I'm glad you handled it. Drew, it might be "inhumanimal".

Matt said...

And yes, LOST is fun.

Woods said...

Yuck! I hate mice. They are just so unattractive and they run way too fast. So glad you caught it. Well done KC