Thursday, May 28, 2009

Packin' on the pounds.

So, apparently I have to gain some weight. A lot of it, actually. We are reading this book to make sure we do everything we can to keep these babies in as long as possible, and get them as big as possible before their blessed arrival. Well, I should say KC is doing most of the reading and relaying all the most important points to me. It's quite nice.


But I tell you, it is really something when your husband is constantly telling you, insisting rather, that you need to eat more, and gain more weight. I guess the chapter on proper weight gain was an eye opener to him, and now he is bound and determined to help me gain the recommended 50-60 lbs! Yikes, those numbers scare me. Of course, I was in denial when I first heard that that is what is recommend for a triplet pregnancy. I'm not really one who is accustomed to eating a lot. Before I was pregnant, I was very aware of when I was full, and was content to stop there. Of course now I can, well have to eat quite a bit more. Actually, I'm amazed at how much I can pack away. But honestly, 50-60 lbs? The more KC reads about how much the weight gain influences healthier birth weights of babies, the more he monitors and makes sure I eat often, and eat the right things, because it is pretty hard to do this myself. I get so full so fast, and sometimes, food is just torture. He sometimes coaches me through every bite if he has to, and provides positive reinforcement when I've eaten to his satisfaction. I really can't complain about this guy. Who doesn't want a husband that tells you that he'd like to see you gain weight?


Hopefully soon, I'll be taking in those extra calories like it's nobodies business, and it won't be hard to put on the extra pounds. Who knows, maybe I'll gain more that recommended amount by, um, accident. But just remember people, when you see the whale of a person that I will become, just remember that it's the doctor's orders, and it WILL come off when I know these babies are here safe and sound, and I have control of this body again. Working out seems like such a luxury right now, since I have been told to even stay off the elliptical. I am only aloud light walking and swimming, until further notice, when they might take those privileges away as well. I never thought I would miss my workout so much. But again, eating as much as I want, sans exercise seems like a dream right? I better enjoy it while it lasts.


Right now, while they are small, I guess they don't need all the extra calories and weight that I am putting on (seriously, my behind gets bigger every day). But it helps to know that I am building up a fat storage for when they need more than I can provide. Hopefully they will eat this body out of house and home, and leave me with just a little to work off. I can dream, can't I? I just keep telling myself that that is such a short time in the long scheme of things, and my babies deserve my undivided attention right now. Even if it means putting my pride aside, concentrating on every bite, and becoming a very large person for a time. That frame of mind took some getting used to, but I think I have finally decided to embrace the changes that my body is going through. I might never do this pregnancy thing again. I might as well enjoy the perks now.

11 comments:

Natalie and Ryan said...

I would talk to your doctor about weight gain. Usually, you gain the weight in the last trimester when the babies are gaining weight and getting bigger. You should still listen to your body and stop when you are full, but I am not a dr.

Anonymous said...

It's so weird to think that you're supposed to gain weight eh? :) Just remember that your baby needs the fats and proteins to develop. I'm so happy for you!!

Unknown said...

it is all worth is when they are here! and if it makes you feel better i did really good for having twins and left the hospital weighing what i did before i had them... mind you, my body will still never be the same. but all worth it. so dont worry Im sure you will do great!

Unknown said...

I think we need to celebrate your weight gain with some onion rings and a shake from Purple Turtle when we are in Utah!

Anonymous said...

You can do it Emily....just one more bite!!!!

Kelly Gish

please call when you know I am dying!!!

Kristy said...

It might sound like there is no way you can gain that much, but I gained 68 with Myles and an even 50 with Mayzie, (most of it the last trimester too) It is really good for babies because their brains really need the fat to develop. It will come off especially since you're gonna have three to chase around!

Kassi said...

I hope it isn't too painful to gain the weight. I hope that morning sickness--maybe all day sickness--goes away soon. So you can enjoy eating all that food. You do have a very sweet husband that is being very supportive. I love reading about your pregnancy and I am so glad that you are sharing about the big and little things!

Cami said...

Now listen here, it is QUITE easy to gain 50-60 pounds. I've done it 3 times with only one baby in there, so you'll be just fine. Just tell KC that most of it happens at the end! I was gaining sometimes 5 pounds a week by the end, so you really only need 10 weeks. The first little while you won't gain much, even with those three little ones, but think of how when they are gaining half a pound a week X 3 will add up!

Off soapbox.

It IS nice that KC is doing a lot of studying. I think I may have freaked out if Jake had done that--he is such a worrywart. He would have been constantly making sure I was doing and eating the right things. Oh, wait, he sort of was anyway. anywho, KC can just be your cook then and get you all sorts of fatty things.

Alicia said...

Love It! Dustin read What to Expect When You're Expecting from cover to cover and kept me on track as well. I needed it! And I know it's not this easy for everyone, but nursing left me weighing a lot less after 4 or 5 months than I had since some time in high school! So there's hope! Hang in there, someday eating will be fun again.

Unknown said...

heehee! it's hard to picture you getting big, since you're so tiny still! but i don't think you're one of those people who needs to worry about weight gain... c'mon, you've got THREE in there! when do you find out what the genders of the babies are?

Gerti said...

I gained 75 lbs with Kaleb being extremely ILL the ENTIRE pregnancy, and I hardly ate much at a time (just constant snacking on nuts and frut to keep the nausea down). And now, I'm fighting like CRAZY to get the extra weight off. I had to laugh when you said you'd get the weight off when you got your body back. If you plan on nursing, you won't get your body back for A VERY LONG TIME! So good luck! :)