Sunday, June 19, 2011

It’s gonna hurt.

We are about to embark on a luxurious cruise with KC’s family. I get thrilled just thinking about how free and easy my life will be while we’re away. I have had vacation fever for a while, and it couldn’t come at a better time. Did I ever really need a vacation before I had kids?!

But the decision to go wasn’t easy. My parents have generously agreed to watch the triplets while we are gone for 4 1/2 days (it might not seem that long to you, but it seems like an eternity to me). We’ve only taken a few overnight trips away from the kids, and they were asleep most of the time we were away. Going on this much-needed vacation took a lot of praying, convincing, and serious thought on my part. I didn’t know if I could put all the responsibility of three individual toddlers on anyone but myself or KC without having guilt hanging over my head. I know all the ins and out of these kids. I’m used to the work, and know what to do in most tricky situations, and it can get tricky. Not to mention, I’m seriously attached. I wouldn’t want to miss out on their cuteness.

But then I realized that taking time away from them just might be possible now that their getting older (with a lot of planning, lists, menus, manuals, stroller assembling/disassembling tutorials, and willing grandparents, of course). And good for me too. When I finally came to terms with that fact that I can actually leave my babies in the care of someone else and go on an actual vacation, I started to get really, really excited! I’m going to miss their faces every five minutes (I already feel ill thinking about how much I’ll miss them), but I’m sure I’ll have a little fun while were enjoying the sand, fresh ocean air, and endless eating of food that I didn’t have to prepare! Much thanks to KC’s parents from planning this vacation that finally got us to start a new phase of our lives, and to my parents for rolling up their sleeves and doing the dirty and exhausting, yet very fun work of wrangling one year old triplets. And, the best part of getting away as a parent is, as great as it will feel to get away from the mountains of diapers, early mornings, and stepping in oatmeal everyday, it will also be GREAT to come home to babies that know you, love you, and hopefully missed you too.

So my swimsuits and sunhats are packed and my mind is already on the beach. We did have the mandatory last minute fever/ear infection yesterday, but we were in and out of the clinic and antibiotics have already been started. There have been times in the last 24 house when I’ve wanted to cancel the whole thing, but I remember that my parents are more than capable, and my kids are really great kids most of the time (though you wouldn’t know it from seeing the disaster that was today). I’m going to try to not think of every possible thing that could go wrong, so that I can finally just sit back and relax. I’ll give you a few pictures to hold you over while we’re gone. So, until I come back to reality, enjoy these sweet faces for me!

Ruby loves eating with a fork. And is wearing two different shoes, of course.


006007

009

Bennett often asks me to help him put on a hat. Hey, at least this one isn’t hot pink.015

Alex and Ruby taking turns having the front seat while on the webcam with Nana Jan.017022

Bennett and Penny playing with their potties. (Don’t worry, I’m not crazy enough to even THINK about potty training one year old triplets. We’re just playing with the little seats.)023

Goofing around before church.041A047B068

And then falling asleep at church. Precious Bennett. We planned on heading home after the first hour of nursery, but he didn’t even last that long.140141

He did something similar at home one morning. He stayed here for a good five minutes, and probably would’ve fallen asleep, but we felt bad and made him more comfortable on the couch. That will teach him to wake up at 5 am!135

Ruby is a champion nebulizer-er! Now, when she sees me getting it ready, she hops on the couch, and gets all situated. Sometimes she’ll even hold it herself.173

Alex’s new favorite thing to do is fasten clips together. He worked on one of the leashes one day until he figured it out. Then he discovered the jackpot--the highchairs. Now every time I am buckling them in, I have to unclip them all first. On this occasion, he hopped into the chair himself (he and Ruby have been doing this for a while), and buckled himself in. Quite helpful, as long as he doesn’t learn to unbuckle any time soon.095

Ruby an Penny decided to give each other a hug one day, without any prodding from any parents. 178

Alex is my champion tooth-brusher. He LOVES it! The others took some time, but now have found the joy in clean teeth as well. 104

He thought brushing the old fashioned way was boring, so he tried holding it with his foot. He didn’t go a bad job either. 123

Sometimes all it takes it a couple blue chairs to entertain these kids. They are usually put away so the kids don’t use them to get into higher shelves, but were pulled out for book group. I think they played on those for an hour straight.119

This is just a snippet of what my parents will go through this next week. Be good babies! Please! I can’t wait to give you all a million sun-kissed, rejuvenated, well-fed, rested, KISSES the second I get home. Bon Voyage!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Good luck! Try to relax and enjoy every second of your trip!

melody said...

Ruby and Penny hugging! Bennett sleeping in ridiculous places! These pictures are so great. And yes, as you said, you WILL miss your little ones while you are gone, but you will also have an incredibly relaxing time. I am so happy for you and KC! You seriously deserve a little vacation.

SassyMama said...

I hope you are able to truly enjoy your well-deserved break!

Unknown said...

Geez, you lucky duck...sounds like you are going to have a fabulous week!

Love the pictures. That Bennett is quite the skilled sleeper! I love it.

Lachelle said...

Cute pictures! Have so much fun on your cruise!

Tracie Frost said...

Oh, have a great trip!! I remember the first time I left Eva. She was 17 months old. I worried and planned and bought her a little gift for each day I was gone. But it was such a nice trip! And the last one we took for 4 more years. Definitely enjoy yourself!