Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Breath of Fresh Air

So, our cruise may have ended last Friday, but I have apparently had a hard time getting out of cruise/vacation mentality. I keep eating whatever I want whenever I want it, I have been partying with family all weekend, I keep spending money like it grows on trees, and I cannot seem to shake the feeling that I am swaying back and forth. So, all those things must come to and end at some point, and aside from constant vertigo (seriously, how long does this sea-legs feeling have to last?), I don’t want them to. But saying goodbye to my mom and dad yesterday really put me back into real-life mode, so I finally decided to sit down and get a little vacation documentation underway. I’ll just give you the highlights. I was pretty conservative with my camera, which I am very proud of myself for. I guess when the kids aren’t around, there just aren’t as many photo-ops. Anyway, here are some tidbits for you.

My Favorite moments:

  • Fresh air, and endless ocean to gaze upon 24-7.
  • Awesome fries, and ice cream cones. I ate way too much of both, and I have no regrets.140
  • Great food, including a breakfast and lunch buffet every day, and gourmet dinners every night, an appetizer or two, an entrĂ©e or two, and always two or more desserts. I could never decide so I just ordered multiple plates of food every day. I have no shame. KC usually shared with my anyway. 007
  • Jet skiing on Cocoa Cay, the cruise line’s private island. My first time, and I’m converted.024
  • Parasailing in Nassau, Bahamas. Seriously, I was so rejuvenated after our excursions. Just what I needed.IMG_3370
  • Hangin’ with the awesome in-laws (minus Camille, who we missed dearly)! Playing games, chatting at meals, swimming in the ocean, or just lounging in the lounge.
  • Getting our pictures taken at all the cheesy photo-ops so we could look at them in the gallery later and laugh. Then taking pictures of the pictures. Don’t worry, we bought one so it was all honest and fair.
  • Feeling the warm strong wind on the upper deck (though my tangled hair didn’t like it that much), and gazing at the stars at night.
  • Working out to the sun rising every morning. The BEST way to start the day.018
  • Spending some time alone with KC, which is a rarity these days. I forgot how much fun we can have together without the triplets needing our constant attention. Love that guy.133

Some Accomplishments:

  • I got a nap EVERYday! Something I’m not so fortunate to have at home.
  • Not a speck of a sunburn! I was diligent about applying sunscreen and it paid off! I have spend a lot of vacations in pain from being sunburned, and I was not going to let it happen again. Thank you Target brand spray sunscreen!
  • I was able to let myself enjoy my time away, instead of worrying. I may have called several times the first day before we set sail, but then I just sat back, and relaxed (for the most part).
  • I didn’t over or under pack. I used almost everything, and felt like I had options as well. Quite an accomplishment, right ladies?!
  • I just went ahead and joined in on Karaoke night. It was embarrassing, I didn’t sing my best, but I’m pretty sure everyone was a little tipsy, so we all had a good time.

The trickier Parts:

  • Even though I said I was able to relax while away from the kids, I still missed them like crazy. I let myself watch a video on my camera on day 3, and couldn’t stop thinking about them. I think I watched it a dozen times.
  • I forgot to bring a book, magazine, or even a crossword puzzle. There was a lot of time where we were just sitting, and enjoying the view, which was nice, but I‘m not used to being so still. I’ll remember to bring some reading material or something on my next luxurious lazy vacation.
  • I could NOT sleep in past 5:30 AM most days. One day it was 6:15 because I stayed up until 1 AM the night before. I seriously have a problem. Thank goodness the gym opened at 6, and I got a nap every day.
  • The day we traveled home seemed like an eternity. We stood shoulder to shoulder in lines with strangers all day long getting off the boat, in the shuttle, at the airport, at baggage claims, the Metro, etc. I was one happy girl to finally be home on Friday afternoon.

So, there you have it. I came back a few pounds heavier, and a very refreshed. We were so grateful for this vacation. KC’s parents put the whole thing together, and we can’t thank them enough for the great time we had. And I was right when I said that vacations are also great because you get to come home to your kids, because I don’t think I was ever so excited to come home from a vacation. I held each of those older and wiser looking children so tight the second I walked in the front door. I think they thought I was some crazy lady  trying to kill them or something. They were happy, healthy, and a darling as ever. My parents deserve a vacation now! It felt so amazing to be so footloose and fancy free for a few days. I forgot how simple traveling without kids was! Thanks again to both sets of parents for showing us how wonderful a vacation can be for the mind body and soul. And even though I missed the kids terribly, I’m more than willing to miss then again anytime! I’m sure the kids would love another week of playing with any willing grandparents while we hide away for a while (I got a good dose or real life today, and I’m definitely missing those white sandy beaches.) Hooray for a great vacation!

Here are more pictures for those interested. There are a few at the end from the rest of the weekend, cause the kids just make the slideshows more fun.

8 comments:

Lindsey Bench said...

Keegan and I just got back from a cruise too! I have to say, as hard as it was leaving Asher behind (I may have cried myself to sleep the night we left) knowing he was at home waiting for me made the end of our cruise not as bummer-ish. I mean, how can you be sad when you know you have a pair of grubby hands waiting for you?! I'm glad you got away, it is super hard and I imagine it is even harder with three. But oh so worth it!

Also, if you haven't done so already, I would recommend staying away from the scale for a couple weeks. Nothing like adding a depressing note to the end of your trip like stepping on the scale and seeing the damage.

Savannah said...

Your trip looks so amazing! You lucky girl- how you deserve it though! You look beautiful as always!

SassyMama said...

I'm glad you had a great time! Amazing what a few days without diapers, thrown food and whining can do for a person:).

And I agree, there is nothing like coming back home to three little ones...

Amber said...

How fun for you to get away and it looks beautiful! You guys look so cute and relaxed. Funny that you have never jet skiied before! Yay for the big fun!!!

melody said...

(Um, what is that last comment about!? Smells like spam to me.)

It was fun to look at these pictures and imagine how relaxing it must have been. A nap every day!? That IS luxurious.

Cami said...

That is so way fun! It's just a warmup for the Disney cruise we all go on SOON! :) I am a little jealous of your naps and sudoku time! I had nary a minute to sit!

Unknown said...

Sign me up!!

That looks fabulous Em, what a treat to be able to spend all day with your hubby without those sweet kiddos.

I love the pictures too, you look so beautiful!

Corinne said...

GOOD FOR YOU, friend. Good for you. I bet that was so fun to look forward to! Also, those free ice cream cones are the best :)