Monday, July 02, 2007

Another eventful summer weekend

We had a pretty busy week but had a big weekend to look forward to. I had work off on Friday but spent a lot of it helping a friend with some food she was making for a shower on Saturday. She always does such great things for the parties she throws. She made dozens of royal icing cookies, stacked them to make a wedding cake, and topped them with tiny royal icing roses we piped. It was fun to get into my tools from school again and try to remember how to do the techniques I was taught. The cookie favors turned out beautiful. We also did some cupcakes. She wanted gold and pink cupcakes so I had some pretty cupcake cups I've been wanting to use, and then loaded them with pink buttercream that everyone seemed to love, myself included. She and a couple of other ladies made the rest of the food and it looked beautiful. Friday night we went to 1408, the new John Cusack movie. I needed a movie to remove all thoughts from my head. something to really distract me from normal life. It sure did it. Not only was the movie scary and thrilling, but the audience members were distracting as well. We decided we can't go to movies here without getting upset at the rude people who think it's their time to tell us all about their lives. I can't believe the disrespect of some people. But The movie was a good one.

We had been planning to help babysit the Turpin boys while Cami took Jake on a birthday trip to New York. We picked them up at about noon, after our car insurance meeting, and they were very excited. We had been invited the night before to birthday party at the Drapers for Thomas. We told them we had the boys and they said to come along anyway. We were also asked to bring out ice cream maker along. The kids always love that. They had the makings for mint chocolate chip. It was very minty, but very good. The boys were excited to see other kids and play with the new presents. The parachute was fun for everyone. I headed to the shower while they played and then we took the kids home to relax after a long day. We had a good time reading books and eating pizza, and they went to bed very well. KC and I watched a little Jaws until they came home. We stayed up way to late talking and eating the sugared nuts they brought us from NYC that I love so much. It was fun to spend a day in the life of the little Turpins. They had us constantly laughing.

I like eventful summer weekends, as long and I have a chance to stop for a few moments to soak it all in before the season is over. With girls camp next week, I'll have a lot to do until then. I think the summer will be a lot more relaxing when that is over.

5 comments:

The Hunsakers said...

It is interesting to know that movie goers in the east are as annoying as the ones here in Houston. I've been to the movies here twice and both times someone has come and sat right next to me in a practically empty theater. Don't they know what personal space is? And the last movie the guy that sat next to me talked like he was at home on his couch, and loudly too. It is good to be able to see what you are up to.
Haylie

Unknown said...

Boy, that sounds like a full couple of days. So nice you kids can help each other as you live nearby. We are looking forward to seeing you all in October.

Amber said...

Such cute cookie favors and nice of you to watch the boys for Cami and Jake.

Cami said...

You guys were AWESOME to watch our kids for so long, but they were kind of mad that you were gone the next morning. Hmph. Not so much fun next time, eh?? Those cookies were yummy.

Sarah said...

I agree with the busy summer weekends! But I am afraid I haven't had enough time to "soak." This summer has flown by! But it is nice to be filled with new events and fun trips.