Sunday, July 08, 2007

Belated Indepencence Day

I have been getting ready for camp that is now only hours away and haven't had a chance to blog about my last culinary adventure. It was Jake's birthday last Saturday and since he was jipped on a cake from being in New York (boo hoo), and the 4th was right around the corner, we decided to combine the occasions for a very special cake. Jake's birthday is always fun to experiment with since he doesn't mind something really rich and over the top. The construction of it was diagrammed on a post it note so I wouldn't leave anything out. This cake went as follows: The crust was made of leftover chocolate chip cookies, then there was a layer of chocolate ganache on top of that. Then I lined the sides of the spring form pan with halved peanut butter cups. The design didn't quite work out . Then a layer of cookie dough ice cream was spread followed by a layer of chocolate cake. The ice cream and cake are repeated, and topped with another thin layer of ganache. That is frozen overnight and when it was time for the party it was topped with a border of ganache and loaded with fresh whipped cream, along with broken pieces of chocolate chip cookies. The reason I went so into detail into describing this heart attack on a platter is because this is the result of someone telling me to do whatever I want. Especially when their favorite things are peanut butter and chocolate. The possibilities are endless. It was kind of hard to stop adding different components. Anyway, we went to Cami's for the fun and you can read her blog for more July 4th details.

For now I have to say good bye for a week as I'm off to give my life to 70 teenagers. I feel pretty prepared and I think it will be a good experience despite how much I may have complained about this and that. I'll miss my honey until he comes on Thursday, but I know we'll be fine. With my own tent equipped with a queen sized air mattress, I think I'll survive.

10 comments:

Janice Graham said...

I am going to beat Dad and comment first. I had heard about this cake and was so glad to see a picture of it. WOWIE. Jake was spoiled on that one. That's one lucky bro-in-law.Did you eat it alll???

Unknown said...

OMG (as lili would say) that is death by yummy! Why didn't you do something like that when you were here for a few days. Yeah, you'll probably say you were going to, but got sick or something. But, hey, we are going to be there in MD Oct 18-25, so start planning. Hint: Chocolate, whipped cream, peanut butter, vanilla, cookies, chips, caramel, marshmallow creme, nuts.

Matt said...

Mmmwwoooouuuwwww. Great looking cake. I'm glad you guys had fun over there. We miss you. Or, rather, we miss us being with you. Same thing? You decide.

Sarah said...

Wow! What a cake! Want to make me one in February? I am sure you have many requests after seeing that "Death my by yummy." Have fun at girls camp.

melody said...

Oh man, add me to the list of fans of that cake - and we haven't even tasted it! (I'm sure it puts Baskin Robins to shame.) Anyway, can't wait until you are back from camp and you can tell me of all your adventures. Julia and I will miss you as we walk this week without our usual phone call!

Cami said...

Yay! The cake. Now I will steal the pics for my blog. That was so super yummified and I'm glad you guys came and hung out. Lots o fun.

Unknown said...

EMILY I BET THAT WAS A GOOD TASTEING CAKE! I HOPE U AR HAVING FUN AT GIRLS CAMP TOO. BUT, HOPEFULLY I WILL CALL YOU SOON I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT U! MISS YA~

sara said...

where in the world did you come up with that cake? wow! have fun at GC. My girls are going this week... fun in the sun.

Amber said...

That cake is right up Todd's alley. We'll have to attempt it here!

Sarah said...

PS - how did you do the title to your blog?