Monday, July 23, 2007

My big boy's first haircut (by me)

On Saturday I cut KC's hair for the first time. With the corney, outdated video, KC's advice, and any memory I had from my mom doing it, It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. And hopefully it will only get better from here. We are happy with our Costco hair cutting kit but will definitely have to replace the scissors with a more cuttable pair. KC was a great sport and we both glad we can cut the cost of his haircut every three to six weeks. We both go to the same stylist. I don't need a cut nearly as much as he, so when I have to pay, it doesn't seem so bad. But when he has to fork over $20 plus tip, it seems silly to not take this task upon myself. My haircut costs more than his which is also silly because mine is probably easier to cut. Oh the price we girls will pay for a good haircut. I've tried the less and more expensive route when I first moved here, but with the black population being so high, they are usually skilled with that type of hair. When you find someone you like, you must hold on. But something that makes me more happy than saving money about this situation is that cutting my husbands hair really makes me feel like a wife. I remember my mom cutting hair on the porch countless times, and I'm happy to join club. I tried to take pictures of KC, but I think he was too nervous and wouldn't let me, so maybe next time. Yay for all the hair cutting wives!

8 comments:

mylittlegems said...

I started doing this about a year ago. It sure saves $. and if you have boys, you just have to do it! When you get some practice, then you can cut their hair the way you like it :)

melody said...

I am sure you did a great job. I need to cut Jonny's again. The curly hair is a hazard!

Cami said...

Yay! It looks like the same set I have, but I did replace the scizzors. You really do need a good pair. I'm sure you do a great job!

Susan said...

Good for you. I bought the kit on sale at Costco too, excited cuz it has a lot more long attachments and more accessories, but it doesn't feel as powerful as the Wahl we bought at Walmart when we got married 10 years ago. Being an artist (with food, at least) I'm sure you'll do great at this.

Lili and Jeff said...

Lets see some pics! You can't leave us hanging here, using our imaginations what his haircut looked like!

Janice Graham said...

I just cut Dad's last week. You know how I like to let it get as long as possible -- it's just so cute on him, and I AM a child of the 70s. Anyway, I tried not to cut it too short and finally got it right! (It only took me 32 years!) But then, if I continue to do that I'll have to cut it more often. Oh well!

Unknown said...

way to go emily! im sure u did a great job. cutting mens hair can be a pain sometimes cause every flaw shows on theirs. i have to cut jeremy's hair every two weeks. lucky you to only have to do it 4-6 weeks. but, its only a matter of a couple times or so and you will have it perfected! i have cut with sizzors out of those sets, never agian will i do that after cutting with my very expensive ones. but way to go!

stacia said...

way to go emily! my husband still won't let me cut his hair because he is the pro around here...he cuts all our boys hair...thank heavens!