Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Surprising pleasant time at the MVA

I went to the MVA (or DMV for Utah people) to finally change my name and address. It's about time. Everytime we fly, I'm still Emily Graham. So I braced myself as we all know this can be a tedious and long journey. I had a doctors appointment in the same area at 10:45 this morning so I thought I'd get in the already formed line at about 8:00 to get in the doors pretty quick when they open at 8:30. I was actually thinking it would be stretching it to be done in time for my appointment. They started letting people in and they were handing the first numbers to license renewals, which is the category I was in. I wasn't sitting down for three minutes when they called me up. They took a picture, not a bad one for a license picture if I do say so, and that was that. I think that is record time. 15 minutes from the time I stepped in to the time I stepped out. I have been there a few times for car/license issues. In fact, I have had my picture taken there three times since I've lived here. None of those times were as easy as this. Now I had 2 hours before my appointment and I was 25 minutes from my house. So I decided to get some things done and read some of my book I brought along. Even my doctors appointment was just as quick and smooth, and we all know those can be an awfully long wait as well. So what I thought would be a hectic and annoying morning went quite smoothly. It was such a welcomed change since I've felt like ever since I got home from a hectic week out of doors, I've been faced with a hectic week inside. I think Heavenly Father was blessing me by making thse often tedious experiences a little more bearable while everything else is crazy. He knew I would break if something went even the tiniest bit wrong, so he went easy on me. I think sometimes he even tells the little babies to act really good for me while I'm taking their pictures so I can have a pleasant experience at work. The babies have to be on their best behavior for my job otherwise nobody is happy with the pictures, so it's nice when they cooperate. It's good to recognize the blessings we have in the places we aren't always looking. Heavenly Father knows us and how much we can take, and he gives us signs along the way to remind us he's there. KC and I are at a point right now where we both describe it as "unsettled". We want to move sometimes, but there's no reason to. We want kids, but well... We love our callings in church, but wouldn't mind helping in other areas. We're grateful for our jobs, but feel like there's more out there. We know all these things are coming in the future, but we are learning a great deal about patience in this awkward yet wonderful and easy time of our lives. I'm sure it's something a lot of people go though after the newlywed stage is coming to an end. Although, I don't think I'm quite done with it yet. I don't want this to sound like I don't love my life and the blessings I see in it every day. It's just been a time of reflection, you know? I think our lives have many more of these awkward years to come. I am enjoying it, but I'll enjoy it even more when we move to a place with a little more leg room.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

need the recipe for pina coladas - it is way too hot here!

Flake Family said...

Em... This is Ash and Jess. You are GORGEOUS! You look so good! We are jealous of you! love ya lots

Matt said...

I am also surprised at your favorable MVA experience. I never quite understand why organizations like that accept reputations like that. Why not fix it?

I love the new photie on the weblog too. Cuteington.

sara said...

well put. you are super lucky about the MVA! I went to the DMV here in WA and 2 months, 4 visits, 2 tests, 4 new tires, and about 8 hours of waiting later, I had a WA license. not recommended.

Jonny said...

Excellent blog. Sometimes life seems cloudy, but seeing the sun shine through for a while helps remind us what it's all about.

If you have the chance, post this license pic!

The Hunsakers said...

We want the pina colada recipe too!!

Emily said...

So, since a couple of you have asked for the pina colada recipe, here it is. We wanted a treat the other night and I remembered seeing a pina colada concentrate mix at target. There are other concentrates at the grocery store, I just happened to remember that one. I just followed the instructions which was blend with water and ice, but we added the whipped cream, pineapple and cherry with our own discretion. We weren't quite satisfied. The next time we made them with strawberry sherbet and milk added in for a much creamier concoction. I'll post a pic of that next time we make them. I have had a few this week and I think I'm indulging a little too much. Although, it's not too bad for you as far as desserts go. A little too long of an explanation, but they are soooooo good. I'll probably use the real cream of coconut and fresh pineapple next time to see how it compares. Fresher always wins.

Janice Graham said...

You are doing a wonderful job of being "thankful in all things." When we turn to Heavenly Father in good, bad, and uncertain times, we get a lot of practice in becoming the kind of person He wants us to be. Love you so much.